Biggs 10 RB Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/f ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great write up...For me, I don’t want to trade Howard unless someone blows us away with an offer. That said, if the right guy falls I’m good with taking him and and giving him a year to backup Howard.

Guys who stand out for me...Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, and Bryce Love. Henderson and Williams have game breaking speed that I want in our next RB. Love would be the steal of the draft if he drops to the 4th or 5th and he can be dangerous on the field with Cohen.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Game breaking speed is nice, but low on the priority list for me in a RB. I prefer a guy who can consistently gain positive yards after contact. You're always going to run into 3rd or 4th and short and you have to have to be able to convert those. Further, forcing the defense to respect the guy you can hand the ball to also weakens their pass rush and coverage.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Even if we draft one I'd rather keep Howard. I wouldn't trade him for below a high 4th, and with him being in his final year I just don't see anyone throwing anything near that out for him.

I want depth, and if Howard is to get injured (or the rookie if we would trade Howard) then I don't want Cohen trying to handle 20+ touches. I want the rookie to be able to start working his way in and show he can take on the bellcow back role, not just throwing him in. Plus we have been burned with White having ridiculous injury woes. While not his fault and beyond an abnormality, it cost the Bears a lot as they were banking on him being a major player.

I'd like to see Cohen get 6-9 carries per game and 5-7 targets in the pass game, then see Howard and the rookie combine for 22+ carries (assuming we have about 28 carries per game like last year). Whoever is producing gets the lion's share. Hopefully the rookie is the one who really gets rolling and shows he is the future of the position for a while.
Bearfacts
MVP

Sugashane wrote:Even if we draft one I'd rather keep Howard. I wouldn't trade him for below a high 4th, and with him being in his final year I just don't see anyone throwing anything near that out for him.

I want depth, and if Howard is to get injured (or the rookie if we would trade Howard) then I don't want Cohen trying to handle 20+ touches. I want the rookie to be able to start working his way in and show he can take on the bellcow back role, not just throwing him in. Plus we have been burned with White having ridiculous injury woes. While not his fault and beyond an abnormality, it cost the Bears a lot as they were banking on him being a major player.

I'd like to see Cohen get 6-9 carries per game and 5-7 targets in the pass game, then see Howard and the rookie combine for 22+ carries (assuming we have about 28 carries per game like last year). Whoever is producing gets the lion's share. Hopefully the rookie is the one who really gets rolling and shows he is the future of the position for a while.
Erik Lambert had an aggressive concept for a trade involving Howard and knowing Pace I wouldn't completely rule it out if he could pull it off.

He offers Oakland our 2019 3rd (#87) and a 2020 2nd for their 2019 2nd (#35) and takes Josh Jacobs provided he's still on the board. Then he trades Howard to Buffalo for their #10 pick in round 4. Oakland has three 2019 #1 picks already so getting a 3rd for swapping their 2019 2nd for the 2020 2nd we own might tempt them.

We don't lose much ground trading the 3rd if we can get Buffalo's 4th and we give Oakland back the 2020 2nd we got in the Mack trade for their 2019 2nd and our 2019 3rd. Pretty slick way to get a bell cow back now who can step in as a starter this year and has tools Howard lacks.
cblaz11
MVP

My thought process is that we are upgrading Mizell not Howard..We need Howard if we’re committed to a SB run in 2019.

Speed is absolutely important to me at RB...Vision is number 1, but speed is up there. We need a guy whos speed scares people.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

You would think as a team insider Briggs could have put something better than this out there.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Both Nagy and Pace were asked about RB's today at the combine and both mentioned vision as the primary trait they look for. Looking at the type of RB's that have the chance to be available at the end of R3 that have great vision to me are:

Devin Singletary - I think he has some of the best vision in the entire class
David Montgomery - I'm not a huge fan of his because the lack of top end speed, but his vision is outstanding
Miles Sanders - I think he's got underrated vision and cutting ability
Darrell Henderson - Probably not as good of vision as the others, but very solid and is surprisingly elusive
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Both Nagy and Pace were asked about RB's today at the combine and both mentioned vision as the primary trait they look for. Looking at the type of RB's that have the chance to be available at the end of R3 that have great vision to me are:
Well Jordan Howard has excellent vision. Laugh.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

DaSuperfan wrote:Both Nagy and Pace were asked about RB's today at the combine and both mentioned vision as the primary trait they look for. Looking at the type of RB's that have the chance to be available at the end of R3 that have great vision to me are:

David Montgomery - I'm not a huge fan of his because the lack of top end speed, but his vision is outstanding
Darrell Henderson - Probably not as good of vision as the others, but very solid and is surprisingly elusive

Sanders reminds me of Barry Sanders (the cuts and balance)... My fav running back so far in this draft. I love the way he runs and makes defenders look stupid. He's so fun to watch. He might have messed up though in his combine interview. He was asked what teams he spoke to and he brought up the Bears and sort of stumbled over the next sentence saying ‘‘They told me, maybe if I’m available, they might take a ... they’re going to take a ... they might take a running back,’’ he said. ‘‘Because I don’t know the situation with Jordan Howard.’’ He might have given too much away and if there's another team interested they will certainly leapfrog us now.

For a second option what if they kept Howard this year and picked up Love (assuming he drops because of the injury)? That would give him a year to get back into the swing of things after the ACL. His timeframe for returning looks to be somewhat similar to Robinsons last year (from what I gather). But, if they keep Howard then they can bring him along slowly. Love is the other RB I like he's so fast if he returns to form he would be an excellent back for us as well and might drop (he was considered a 1st or 2nd round pick before injury).

If the Bears get either of those two I'd be happy. The other RBs I've watched film on just don't do it for me. Either they have great vision but are slow - or - fast but have a thin build or run too upright for my liking or are just not exciting to watch. There's a ton of average RBs that would work but the two I mentioned are IMHO the most fun to watch and shifty/speedy in their own ways. Sanders though man, he carried an entire D for 10 yards on top of being shifty and able to take it to the house any play. That's the type of back that screams Chicago.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

mmmc_35 wrote:
Laugh all you want. I'm just telling you what I heard. Howard has good vision but he's simply not a dual threat in the passing game. Nagy and Pace won't publicly admit that, but I have a gut feeling the type of RB Nagy wants is a guy that has good vision and good speed that can get big chunks of yards in a hurry - but not just on the ground, through the air as well. Howard hasn't shown that he can be a matchup mismatch in the passing game.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Knuckles wrote:

Sanders reminds me of Barry Sanders (the cuts and balance)... My fav running back so far in this draft. I love the way he runs and makes defenders look stupid. He's so fun to watch. He might have messed up though in his combine interview. He was asked what teams he spoke to and he brought up the Bears and sort of stumbled over the next sentence saying ‘‘They told me, maybe if I’m available, they might take a ... they’re going to take a ... they might take a running back,’’ he said. ‘‘Because I don’t know the situation with Jordan Howard.’’ He might have given too much away and if there's another team interested they will certainly leapfrog us now.

For a second option what if they kept Howard this year and picked up Love (assuming he drops because of the injury)? That would give him a year to get back into the swing of things after the ACL. His timeframe for returning looks to be somewhat similar to Robinsons last year (from what I gather). But, if they keep Howard then they can bring him along slowly. Love is the other RB I like he's so fast if he returns to form he would be an excellent back for us as well and might drop (he was considered a 1st or 2nd round pick before injury).

If the Bears get either of those two I'd be happy. The other RBs I've watched film on just don't do it for me. Either they have great vision but are slow - or - fast but have a thin build or run too upright for my liking or are just not exciting to watch. There's a ton of average RBs that would work but the two I mentioned are IMHO the most fun to watch and shifty/speedy in their own ways. Sanders though man, he carried an entire D for 10 yards on top of being shifty and able to take it to the house any play. That's the type of back that screams Chicago.
Henderson and Sanders are my two top choices for Nagy's offense. Like them both a lot.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

David Montgomery (Iowa State) ran in the 4.6's at the combine... may knock him down to round 3.

My guy Miles Sanders ran a 4.5... don't know if he'll still be around when we pick

#kneejerkreactions
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

DaSuperfan wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
Laugh all you want. I'm just telling you what I heard. Howard has good vision but he's simply not a dual threat in the passing game. Nagy and Pace won't publicly admit that, but I have a gut feeling the type of RB Nagy wants is a guy that has good vision and good speed that can get big chunks of yards in a hurry - but not just on the ground, through the air as well. Howard hasn't shown that he can be a matchup mismatch in the passing game.
He actually said speed and vision and that one isn't really good without the other.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
He actually said speed and vision and that one isn't really good without the other.
Well then, that proves my point further. Thanks for the clarification.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Greg Gabriel said on Twitter he thinks Miles Sanders will be the 1st or 2nd RB off the board. He's had him as his top RB in the class for 3-4 weeks now. Not sure if that'll happen but that'll certainly be disappointing for the Bears.

Henderson looks like he ran himself into a R2 pick with his 40.

Singletary had some pretty slow times for a back of his size. He might be around when the Bears pick. He's definitely more quick than fast though.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bears tried to sneak up into R2 by offering up one of their two 2020 R2 picks if one of their RB's fall - sort of how they did last year with Anthony Miller. Seems like Pace's MO to go after his guy.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Greg Gabriel said on Twitter he thinks Miles Sanders will be the 1st or 2nd RB off the board. He's had him as his top RB in the class for 3-4 weeks now. Not sure if that'll happen but that'll certainly be disappointing for the Bears.

Henderson looks like he ran himself into a R2 pick with his 40.

Singletary had some pretty slow times for a back of his size. He might be around when the Bears pick. He's definitely more quick than fast though.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bears tried to sneak up into R2 by offering up one of their two 2020 R2 picks if one of their RB's fall - sort of how they did last year with Anthony Miller. Seems like Pace's MO to go after his guy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO leave my guy alone!!!

Knuckles
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:David Montgomery (Iowa State) ran in the 4.6's at the combine... may knock him down to round 3.

My guy Miles Sanders ran a 4.5... don't know if he'll still be around when we pick

#kneejerkreactions

I have a feeling that if Pace decides to trade Howard and he feels Sanders is the guy he wants he will go get him. And, I believe they will move into the second this year. (if they resign Amos and Calahan) there are only 2 positions I believe they would move up for RB and pass rusher.

If they can't resign Calahan then Slot would probably be that pick. If Amos is gone I think what I said above still holds true and they find a S in the 4th+ or FA.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
EricTighe
MVP

Barry Sanders wouldn't run a 4.5 40 backward.
Let us leave that comparison alone now shall we?

Good back but not even close to Barry.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

EricTighe wrote:Barry Sanders wouldn't run a 4.5 40 backward.

Good back but not even close to Barry.
Said his run style and balance reminded me of Barry never said he will be like Barry. Chill out...
Knuckles
Player of the Month

[quote="EricTighe"]Barry Sanders wouldn't run a 4.5 40 backward.

Good back but not even close to Barry.[/quote

Again I'm not saying he will have the successful career that Barry had but when you watch his film you sort of see the same sort of cuts and balance. One play he sidestepped a defender and immediately went into a spin move that made the D look stupid. That's the comparison. That's how Barry was but I will never say Miles will be Barry I have enough respect for Barry to know better...

Just thought I'd add to what I said earlier. My fav two Rbs of all time (that I've seen personally) is Bary and Walter and it's not even close. No one's come close to those two. It was almost on a roman hero type of time for the two of our teams.
wab
Mod

Knuckles wrote:Just thought I'd add to what I said earlier. My fav two Rbs of all time (that I've seen personally) is Bary and Walter and it's not even close. No one's come close to those two. It was almost on a roman hero type of time for the two of our teams.
Barry Sanders was the best player I've ever seen play in real life.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

What are everyone's thoughts on Rodney Anderson? If he were healthy, from a talent standpoint - where does he stack up?
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on Rodney Anderson? If he were healthy, from a talent standpoint - where does he stack up?
He is fantastic. Great vision, good vision and quick feet. Good inside runner with quickness. Injuries though will be the question. If healthy top 5 in this class.
DoubleDoink
Rookie

I want Miles Sanders really bad.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Devine Ozigbo please.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:Devine Ozigbo please.
He had a solid Pro Day today and his RAS is bordering elite. Intriguing kid to say the least!

thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:Devine Ozigbo please.
He had a solid Pro Day today and his RAS is bordering elite. Intriguing kid to say the least!
Yeah, after today's showing he probably doens't make it much past pick 75 or so. Ah well.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Reports were the Bears were meeting with Ozigbo and Singletary - probably doesn't mean a whole lot but it's something.
Never Die Easy
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

With Davis, Cohen and Patterson working in a true committee, I doubt we take a RB before day 3 at this point.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Some more good stuff here on RBs:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/f ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;