Update: Le'Veon Bell signs with NY Jets

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

27..but huge salary hit.. Sat out a season..off field problems with PEDs..?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I'll skip over this guy. Just think he will be wanting the moon, the stars, the galaxy. He wants to make up money he didn't earn last year. Just don't think he is needed on this team at this time, or any other. I do not begrudge him for sitting out. He didn't come across as a jag, at least what I have read (unlike AB). Just no.
docc
Head Coach

Yeah..and I think his $$ demands will be way up there..
UOK
Site Admin

Not even picking up the phone.
UOK
Site Admin

What the fuck?

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... veon-bell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@MattVerderame

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the #Jets are frontrunners for Le'Veon Bell. A new team to closely monitor though, the #Bears. Chicago has significant interest in Bell.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

According to bleacher report Twitter and other sites.

Every team has interest in every single player except when they don’t have interest. And they may have interest even when they don’t have interest except for the times they don’t have interest but really do except when they don’t.
wab
Mod

Gross. I would dislike this very much.
Funkster
MVP

To add a back that has averaged 1,900 all purpose yards and 10 TDS over the past 2 season he played would set this offense over the top. If Pace can work out a deal, I would be all for it. It doesn’t seems very likely but neither did K.Mack.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Not sold on bell. Conner would have been around 1800 apy if he had played the full 16. Bell definitely is good but the price difference between the two just hoses their team for bringing in other talent.

I highly doubt they can fit him in without serious ramifications the following seasons to the cap.

Rumor was that bell was up to about 260 as well.
Funkster
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Rumor was that bell was up to about 260 as well.

The rumor he’s up around 260lbs is completely false. I saw a video (that was posted 4 days ago) of him hanging out with a player on KC, he looked to be in very good shape. I wouldn’t put him 5lbs over his listed 225 weight. This guy is an elite all purpose back, those don’t come around very often. Now if he’s asking 15M a year, it’s most likely not in the cards. But if Pace can get him to bite around 10 for a few years, I would be all for it!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

But 10 million for a few years means you most likely are letting Floyd walk after this season, could impact others like Cohen, Miller, trevathon and Jackson on their extensions.

To do it you are most likely reworking a huge portion of Mack’s deal which then impact what weapons you can keep around Trubisky when he comes due in two more seasons.

10 million would be a cheap signing for bell and I would propose that it isn’t Even a real consideration for pace.

It’s easy for us as fans to want all the best and to bring back their own best. But in the cap era that’s how teams get in a multi year cap hell.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I don't see the Bears in on Bell - just doesn't make any sense IMO from a financial standpoint. The Steelers basically got the same level of production from Conner, a former R3 pick on a rookie deal. It would make more sense to trade Howard, sign Ingram to a short term deal and then draft a kid in the mid rounds. Nagy seems like he wants to employ the RB by committee approach anyways and signing Bell wouldn't really fit in that category.
Never Die Easy
Funkster
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:But 10 million for a few years means you most likely are letting Floyd walk after this season, could impact others like Cohen, Miller, trevathon and Jackson on their extensions.

To do it you are most likely reworking a huge portion of Mack’s deal which then impact what weapons you can keep around Trubisky when he comes due in two more seasons.

10 million would be a cheap signing for bell and I would propose that it isn’t Even a real consideration for pace.

It’s easy for us as fans to want all the best and to bring back their own best. But in the cap era that’s how teams get in a multi year cap hell.

But is he worth if for a legit shot at the Super Bowl? Even just one?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

$14.5 million was not reason enough for him to play last year. Can't see him taking $10 mil this year or a salary that avgs that. I don't want the Bears to have a shot at ONE Super Bowl, I want the Bears to be a consistent team that has a shot at multiple Super Bowls.
Funkster
MVP

Otis Day wrote:$14.5 million was not reason enough for him to play last year. Can't see him taking $10 mil this year or a salary that avgs that. I don't want the Bears to have a shot at ONE Super Bowl, I want the Bears to be a consistent team that has a shot at multiple Super Bowls.

Reality says there is only 1 team that has that shot and it’s not the bears. The window is small and is getting smaller every year. I don’t think signing Bell is a reality but we can’t sit here and say he isn’t what this offense needs or the type of player Nagy is looking for. They could make it happen if they really wanted to.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:What the fuck?

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... veon-bell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@MattVerderame

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the #Jets are frontrunners for Le'Veon Bell. A new team to closely monitor though, the #Bears. Chicago has significant interest in Bell.
Outstanding.

It's a trip to the Super Bowl if we sign him. I'm guessing we definitely trade Howard in this scenario. I still say draft an RB.

Pace has a way of getting somebody that he wants. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
IotaNet
MVP

Funkster wrote:... It doesn’t seems very likely but neither did K.Mack.
This right here.

If history has shown us anything, it's shown that if Pace has his sights set on a guy, he WILL make a strong move to go get him. At this point, I trust Pace's judgement implicitly.

And finances and logic aside, wouldn't that be a CRAZY BIG splash?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:To add a back that has averaged 1,900 all purpose yards and 10 TDS over the past 2 season he played would set this offense over the top. If Pace can work out a deal, I would be all for it. It doesn’t seems very likely but neither did K.Mack.
Except that he was replaced by a rookie 3rd rounder who was productive in the same offense. That is the game changer for me. Even with Rothlisberger and Brown, Pittsburgh has been a team who likes to lean on the run. So no big surprise they did that successfully with Bell's rookie replacement. But their running game was already well established. Is ours?

I'm going with NO, considering we have not run the ball well power blocking and we didn't see a bunch of holes that Howard couldn't hit. At least I didn't. So spending a pile of cash on a RB who came from an established run game and expecting him to be productive in our offense that isn't nearly as established in that part of the game is a recipe for disaster.

Just say NO.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Funkster
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:
UOK wrote:What the fuck?

@MattVerderame

Outstanding.

It's a trip to the Super Bowl if we sign him. I'm guessing we definitely trade Howard in this scenario. I still say draft an RB.

Pace has a way of getting somebody that he wants. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Only thing that is weird is Pace has worked other big name signings in total stealth mode. Why would he let this info leak?
IotaNet
MVP

Mikefive wrote:Except that he was replaced by a rookie 3rd rounder who was productive in the same offense ...
Not exactly.

I'm not an advanced analytics junkie but this is not the first article I've seen that peels back the onion on the production difference between Bell and his replacement. This writer argues that the difference was significant.

Analysis: Advanced stats say Steelers missed Le'Veon Bell -- a lot
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 1902140182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Funkster
MVP

Out of the teams mentioned, the bears have to be the team he would want to play for the most, right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UOK
Site Admin

Looks like Bell's made a decision, but nothing out yet about where.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Odds are he goes to the highest bidder, my thoughts.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm guessing the Jets made him an offer he couldn't refuse...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Why rework Mack's contract for that huge amount of money then?

The team needed a QB. Pace got one.
The team needed a pass rusher. Pace got one.

Now the team needs a RB. This wouldn't be a shocker at all.

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He can rework all he wants, but if the amount is not as high as another team, you can't put it all on Pace. Looks like he is trying.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Why rework Mack's contract for that huge amount of money then?

The team needed a QB. Pace got one.
The team needed a pass rusher. Pace got one.

Now the team needs a RB. This wouldn't be a shocker at all.

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!
Pace could look to extend our own guys or he's looking at other players... no idea man.

wab
Mod

Im warming up to the idea of Bell. Which means the Bears won’t sign him.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:Im warming up to the idea of Bell. Which means the Bears won’t sign him.
Haha! The power of positive pessimism...if I want it, it won't be, if I don't wan't it, it might be.
Last edited by VA_Mountain_Bear on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Im warming up to the idea of Bell. Which means the Bears won’t sign him.
Doth I smelleth another jersey in your future good sir?