Blake Bortles released by Jaguars - signs with Rams

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Jaguars release Blake Bortles — what's next for veteran QB?
The Jacksonville Jaguars announced on Wednesday that they have released quarterback Blake Bortles.

The Jaguars selected Bortles with the third pick of the 2014 draft, and he has been their starting quarterback since. In five seasons, the Jaguars compiled a 24-49 record in games that Bortles started, a rate the prompted them to make a change at the position this week by agreeing to a four-year $88 million deal with Nick Foles.

The news of Bortles’ release was expected in the wake of the Foles deal.

Bortles averaged 235.5 passing yards per game in Jacksonville while throwing for 103 touchdowns and 75 interceptions with a 59.3 percent completion rate.

The Jaguars remained one of the NFL’s worst teams with Bortles at the helm until 2017, when a powerful defense led Jacksonville to the AFC championship game.

Jacksonville decided last offseason to not make a move at quarterback, despite having a Super Bowl-caliber defense and Bortles having shown no signs of advancement.

His 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions while throwing for 230.4 yards per game on a 60.2 completion rate during that 10-6 season were numbers largely in line with his career stats.

They signed Bortles to a three-year extension last offseason with $26.5 million in guaranteed money — a deal Bortles will fall two years short of seeing to fruition.
I guess the only person surprised or disappointed by this would be the character Jason on the tv show "The Good Place"

* edited to change thread title
Last edited by Boris13c on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Guarantee Bortles randomly wins a playoff game for some franchise when he's called upon as a backup. Just have the feeling about the guy. Not that he's any good, but that he CAN be good for that moment, and that moment only.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I actually expected him to make a big leap in 2018 based on the Jaguars run into the playoffs in 2017 ... Jaguars apparently thought so too which is why he was unchallenged for the job in 2018 ... instead, it looked like he regressed

he has definite skill, but he is just off in a way that cannot really be pinpointed other than by looking at his and the team results
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I think he can be efficient with a strong run game and play action/single read, check down game plan. I also don't think he's had consistent WR's to build with...
However, He stands there like a statue in the pocket, goes through progressions slowly and makes bad decisions when pressure gets close to him.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

They let his top 3 WR's walk last offseason and didn't replace them, then they put like 11 offensive linemen on IR. He's not Montana, but they didn't set him up for much success.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:I actually expected him to make a big leap in 2018 based on the Jaguars run into the playoffs in 2017 ... Jaguars apparently thought so too which is why he was unchallenged for the job in 2018 ... instead, it looked like he regressed

he has definite skill, but he is just off in a way that cannot really be pinpointed other than by looking at his and the team results
2018, they didn't have Fournette for most of the season, the O line allowed pressure like crazy, and between them and Yeldon, there wasn't much concern to defend the run so teams just dropped back into coverage and brought pressure. The defense way under performed and the Jags were usually down early fighting to come back. Not a recipe for a ground and pound team who relies on its defense to keep them in it.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:They let his top 3 WR's walk last offseason and didn't replace them, then they put like 11 offensive linemen on IR. He's not Montana, but they didn't set him up for much success.
and this
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bortles reaches deal with Rams to back up Goff
Former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Rams to be Jared Goff's backup, the team announced Monday.
George Carlin
wab
Mod

That's a good move for Bortles. He's not a bad QB in the grand scheme of things.
Umbali
MVP

I know a Rams fan that was having a cow over this lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers