Bears sign RB Mike Davis to 2yr, $6M deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
ramentaschen wrote:this is fine if he is our third RB and occasional receiver
3M APY for a 3rd RB? Bears would have been better off singing Frank Gore if that were the case.
Frank Gore is like 46yrs old tho
True but that “46” year old is always available, is a true everydown back, out performed Davis and was about 1 million cheaper. What does that say about Davis? Ohh well, I guess that’s who they’re riding with. I just hope everyone is right about him being the 3rd back. I just don’t see it like that.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
3M APY for a 3rd RB? Bears would have been better off singing Frank Gore if that were the case.
True but that “46” year old is always available, is a true everydown back, out performed Davis and was about 1 million cheaper. What does that say about Davis? Ohh well, I guess that’s who they’re riding with. I just hope everyone is right about him being the 3rd back. I just don’t see it like that.
I don't think he's being looked at as the 3rd back... but I'm a minority, er in the minority
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
I don't think he's being looked at as the 3rd back... but I'm a minority, er in the minority
I’m right here with you. Most are thinking he’s replacing Mizzel, who was the 3rd back. I’m feeling he will be spitting reps with Cohen come game 1. Your assignment of Davis his fair, I’ve seen him up close at practice and have watched him the last couple of years since he became a hawk. I’m just not that impressed with him, especially as a starter.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

I’ve been watching vids of this kid the last couple hours. I like the way he runs. His burst out of the jump cut is incredible.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I’ve been watching vids of this kid the last couple hours. I like the way he runs. His burst out of the jump cut is incredible.
Right? And he's got some juice to him when he gets a head of steam... not afraid to lower his shoulders and thud you either!

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

They didn’t sign him to replace Mizzell. I could crap out a turd more productive than Mizzell.

He is a borderline starter, low cost, with potential to be more that won’t complain sharing the load with a draft pick and Cohen.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:They didn’t sign him to replace Mizzell. I could crap out a turd more productive than Mizzell.

He is a borderline starter, low cost, with potential to be more that won’t complain sharing the load with a draft pick and Cohen.
He produced pretty good numbers in the SEC (South Carolina).

I'm not expecting much, but he's got talent and could be a surprise. It's a roll of the dice for what's basically slightly more than draft pick money, and you're committed for roughly a year. No downside from my point of view.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Davis was pretty successful in Seattle's read option offense. I think he's coming in to get about half the rushing attempts with a decent share of check down passing options. Cohen will get a 30-40% share of the rushing attempts again, with a larger share of check down options from the backfield. And Nagy just can't help himself to throw in a guy like Patterson to take up ~10-15% of the rest from both rushing and passing.

Part of a true committee
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Pagan
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Davis was pretty successful in Seattle's read option offense. I think he's coming in to get about half the rushing attempts with a decent share of check down passing options. Cohen will get a 30-40% share of the rushing attempts again, with a larger share of check down options from the backfield. And Nagy just can't help himself to throw in a guy like Patterson to take up ~10-15% of the rest from both rushing and passing.

Part of a true committee
This is the route I see Pace & Nagy going.

Unless the Bears land a huge surprise upgrade.. I believe they're planning on having Davis, Cohen & Patterson as the RB rotation.. IF they get the trade they want for H. Jordan.

Nagy would loving nothing more than having 3 RB/WR hybrid type players to chess piece around during presnap shifts.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I like the player and I think he fits the part of the scheme I saw last year but I'm not sure this exactly fills our need for a 1st and 2nd down back that is also a bit of a receiving threat. If our committee is Davis/Cohen/Patterson then I can't see us running a terribly "traditional" offense. That feels more like a throw-first spread type system. I don't mind it but I thought Nagy was going to try for some amount of "balanced traditional offense" with play action, etc.? I'm contrasting this to New Orleans replacing Ingram with Murray and trying to read the tea leaves. Either they still hope to find that 1st and 2nd down guy in the draft or we're going full on Saturday offense on the lakefront and the sausage-ditka-bearrsss crowd is in for a ride
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

I kind of wonder... maybe the plan is to let Howard and Davis battle it out for RB1 responsibilities, Patterson comes in as a joker, Cohen stays in the Cohen role, and then we draft someone like Bryce Love (ACL surgery December 18th) in the 5th round (assuming his medicals are clean). Let him rehab and unleash him in 2020.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The more I watch the more I like this kid. I know no one wants to here this but he runs like a better version of Mizzel. They clearly liked mizzel. He is a better version in every facet
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:The more I watch the more I like this kid. I know no one wants to here this but he runs like a better version of Mizzel. They clearly liked mizzel. He is a better version in every facet
Welcome aboard as well! :)

Click On The Middle Video

G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:Talk about a boner killer, one minute we’re talking about Bell and the next the bears sign Mike Davis.
He’s depth... what’s killing your boner?
Boners shouldn't be killed, all boners lives matter.
Just saw this and I wondered aloud: Do all boners deserve to be beaten?

Funkster
MVP

I feel the bears are stuck in limbo in two positions, RB and TE. I’m not sure what the plan of attack is for the running back position but I’ve come to the conclusion just when you think you know what Nagy is looking for in a back, he flips the script. There were a few backs on the market that were prototypical of what the talking heads say what Nagy is looking for. They’re young and one such as Coleman went for cheap. Yeldon is still on the market and I’m sure will now sign for something around what Davis got. I’m not sure what happens to Howard but I do know he’s always available come game day, that can’t be said for Davis.

What Pace has done has been incredibly. I’m hoping he drafts the back that will set this offense a blaze and we won’t have to worry about the running back position for a few years. Now if he can only hit some magic on a TE the bears offense would be unstoppable.
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:I feel the bears are stuck in limbo in two positions, RB and TE. I’m not sure what the plan of attack is for the running back position but I’ve come to the conclusion just when you think you know what Nagy is looking for in a back, he flips the script. There were a few backs on the market that were prototypical of what the talking heads say what Nagy is looking for. They’re young and one such as Coleman went for cheap. Yeldon is still on the market and I’m sure will now sign for something around what Davis got. I’m not sure what happens to Howard but I do know he’s always available come game day, that can’t be said for Davis.

What Pace has done has been incredibly. I’m hoping he drafts the back that will set this offense a blaze and we won’t have to worry about the running back position for a few years. Now if he can only hit some magic on a TE the bears offense would be unstoppable.
RE: TE - I was surprised to learn that Burton had a career year with the Bears in 2018. Shocked. I thought he was a total let down, but his numbers were career bests. I don't know if I was expecting a Travis Kelce type impact and that's why I felt disappointed, but his numbers say he progressed considerably and may not have been as bad as I thought.

And I know you aren't a Davis fan for whatever reason, but he was active for 15 games last season. So he was available.
Funkster
MVP

Regarding Burton, IMO, he came out hot and kinda fizzled down the stretch. When the bears needed him most, he tightened up against his old team and didn’t play. I don’t know if I’m looking to deep into it but he lost a lot of respect from me. Especially when other guys were playing through injuries. I mean Millers shoulder was popping out and he suited up.

As far as Davis, like I said, I live in Seattle, I’ve seen him up close and weekly heard locally about his injuries.The hawks don’t have a solidified back either and he couldn’t win the starting job, I’m guessing mostly because of availability. I agree with you, he does have talent but I just feel with the bears backfield in limbo, I would choose Howard over Davis 9 times out of 10. If they offload Howard, which good chances they will, I don’t feel at all confident with Davis as RB1. If he’s the 3rd back, fine, but doesn’t that say they overpaid for a 3rd back? I’m just hoping Pace hits on a back and we can put this to bed. If I’m wrong on Davis, I have no problems admitting it, is was way wrong on E.Jack, thank goodness!
Knuckles
Player of the Month

The whole interview Burton gave about his mysterious injury seemed totally concocted to me. His description of what happened and how he described that it just comes out of the blue (paraphrasing) just didn't explain it to me. It was the way he spoke about it it just seemed like it was all made up. It was his old team and maybe he made a few enemies there and just freaked out or the pressure was way too much (shouldn't be a starter then). There's no other explanation other than he really was injured but like I said it just smelled fishy.

I thought he played pretty good here and there. He has the potential to be a good TE for us. But, even reporters were talking about how weird the injury was.

It will be interesting to see if they draft a TE...
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Honestly the whole move TE thing interests me. I think you can get players with those attributes at other positions like WR, RB, FB. Like personally Wims to me should be tried there. Last we saw him he looked thick, had body type and ability to excel there.
Umbali
MVP

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:Talk about a boner killer, one minute we’re talking about Bell and the next the bears sign Mike Davis.

beats me :banana:

I have warmed up to him after watching multiple high light videos. If Howard is going to be gone, I am guessing he will be a draft day trade. I just hope a desperate team gives us some value. At this point a 3rd would be the most likely highest upside we can hope for unless there is a player that Pace covets instead. lol almost pointless to speculate with how secretive and unpredictable Pace is.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:I feel the bears are stuck in limbo in two positions, RB and TE. I’m not sure what the plan of attack is for the running back position but I’ve come to the conclusion just when you think you know what Nagy is looking for in a back, he flips the script. There were a few backs on the market that were prototypical of what the talking heads say what Nagy is looking for. They’re young and one such as Coleman went for cheap. Yeldon is still on the market and I’m sure will now sign for something around what Davis got. I’m not sure what happens to Howard but I do know he’s always available come game day, that can’t be said for Davis.

RE: TE - I was surprised to learn that Burton had a career year with the Bears in 2018. Shocked. I thought he was a total let down, but his numbers were career bests. I don't know if I was expecting a Travis Kelce type impact and that's why I felt disappointed, but his numbers say he progressed considerably and may not have been as bad as I thought.

And I know you aren't a Davis fan for whatever reason, but he was active for 15 games last season. So he was available.
The thing about Burton was that he was always coming off the bench in the past.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote:
G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:

beats me :banana:

I have warmed up to him after watching multiple high light videos. If Howard is going to be gone, I am guessing he will be a draft day trade. I just hope a desperate team gives us some value. At this point a 3rd would be the most likely highest upside we can hope for unless there is a player that Pace covets instead. lol almost pointless to speculate with how secretive and unpredictable Pace is.
Here's what I think will play out on draft day... Pace will have his eyes on some RB(s) he covets. As they fall off the board and only one is left, he'll start looking to move up higher with that R3 pick. That's the time Howard will get dealt. Either...

a) We trade our 3 and 4 to move up, then trade Howard for another pick, or
b) We trade our 3 and Howard to move up, or
c) We trade Howard for another pick, then immediately package a pick with our R3 to move up

That's my prediction.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Was just watching some vids on Devine Ozigbo (saw him in a Bears Wire article). What do you guys think of him? He looks really good and can be had in the 4th maybe. Right now after Sanders I like this guy. He has some quick moves and a huge lower body to just run over people. Very interesting RB... Never really heard of him but he sort of has that Barkley arm wind thing going. Pretty fast too.

LINK
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
G08
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:Was just watching some vids on Devine Ozigbo (saw him in a Bears Wire article). What do you guys think of him? He looks really good and can be had in the 4th maybe. Right now after Sanders I like this guy. He has some quick moves and a huge lower body to just run over people. Very interesting RB... Never really heard of him but he sort of has that Barkley arm wind thing going. Pretty fast too.

LINK
I like him... but since I don't think we have a shot at drafting Miles Sanders (as our draft picks currently stand) I've been fixating my gaze on Bryce Love. That kid is lightning in a bottle and you can ease him into the offense since he had ACL surgery in December (reported that his target-date to be cleared is the middle of Training Camp, which I believe is aggressive). He should be ready to rock and roll around late October early November assuming there are no setbacks.

wab
Mod

Being married into a family of Husker fanatics, I've watched Ozigbo quite a bit. He's basically a faster Jordan Howard. He doesn't always play as fast as his timed speeds (or those highlights) would suggest. He doesn't catch the ball a lot either.

I don't dislike him at all, but he is a much much better fit in a zone run offense. It's no coincidence that he finally went over 1000 yards when Nebraska switched from a power scheme under Mike Riley to a zone scheme under Scott Frost.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

What is our run blocking scheme as it stands right now? Does anyone know? I feel like last year we went back and forth between a power scheme and then zone scheme and right now it's unclear to me what Nagy really wants in terms of a blocking fit within his overall offense.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:What is our run blocking scheme as it stands right now? Does anyone know? I feel like last year we went back and forth between a power scheme and then zone scheme and right now it's unclear to me what Nagy really wants in terms of a blocking fit within his overall offense.
I think they want to go power.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:What is our run blocking scheme as it stands right now? Does anyone know? I feel like last year we went back and forth between a power scheme and then zone scheme and right now it's unclear to me what Nagy really wants in terms of a blocking fit within his overall offense.
I think they want to go power.

or, maybe with his first year under his belt, Nagy may come up with his own hybrid idea

not actually knowing the answer to the question is not a cause for angst though as it may have been in the past because even if we don't know what they might be up to, we can have confidence that they do
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

The whole "power run" thing is my only (and small) gripe with Nagy. Leno, Daniels, and Whitehair are all zone blocking linemen. Long can do either really. Massey was a power blocker in AZ and got benched several times for it, but he came around when they went to the zone stuff under Fox. Hiestand is rooted in zone concepts. He ran zone stuff previously with the Bears and the entire time he was at ND.

The Bears backs and offensive line were drafted and built to run zone concepts. Why on earth does Nagy want to continue to pound round pegs into this square power running thing.

Tarik Cohen, all 5'6 and 189lbs of him isn't a power runner.

Mike Davis was just given borderline starter money, and he got it by performing well in a zone offense out in Seattle.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

It's still zone running, but it's primarily between the tackles (inside zone) instead of outside with sweeps and such.

The key is that the RB should be able to pick lanes (Howard does this well) and get yards after contact (in 2018, Howard did this less well). Some of the latter had to do with Kyle Long being injured and running behind the likes of Eric Kush and Bryan Witzmann instead. Also, running a power scheme with this line would be counterproductive, in my view, as it's not really their calling card.

The biggest issues with Howard in this offense are that he doesn't have that extra gear in the open field and that he doesn't really threaten the defense when he goes out to receive. But trading Howard is as much about his rookie contract expiring in 2020 as it is his meh receiving skills.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: