RB Prospect Talk: Trayveon Williams, Texas A&M

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Haven't seen much being discussed about this kid... apparently his character is off the charts, being described as an alpha male and unquestioned team leader. On NFL Network one of the "analysts" tabbed him as the strongest runner in this draft. I had to cock my head to the side because this dude looks tiny on tape.

Here's his info:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trayveon- ... 521a18c706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5'8" 206 lbs... he doesn't jump out on tape when I watch him but I do see a good back overall. He's someone that should go anywhere between rounds 3-5, my guess is in round 4.

Here are some clips to watch: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sCS ... QTVzo/edit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I've watched some tape on him before, he appears to be a little stiff as an athlete IMO. He doesn't look very fluid and is a sort of a long strider. Has some decent speed but he doesn't do anything on tape that really wows you. Doesn't appear to be that elusive and more of a straight line runner. That's the impression that I got of him. I know the Bears have met with him individually (possibly for a private workout). We'll see. He's definitely not in my top 5 wish list of backs.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

I like him. I think he's a good fit, but I don't like him as much as a couple other guys.
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:I've watched some tape on him before, he appears to be a little stiff as an athlete IMO. He doesn't look very fluid and is a sort of a long strider. Has some decent speed but he doesn't do anything on tape that really wows you. Doesn't appear to be that elusive and more of a straight line runner. That's the impression that I got of him. I know the Bears have met with him individually (possibly for a private workout). We'll see. He's definitely not in my top 5 wish list of backs.
Glad to read this, I felt the same about his hips (stiff) and that he didn't look as fluid in his cuts/jump-cuts as I would prefer in our future RB.
wab wrote:I like him. I think he's a good fit, but I don't like him as much as a couple other guys.
Nothing special, right? I like Mike Davis better than this kid so he doesn't move the needle for me.

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I like him. I think he's a good fit, but I don't like him as much as a couple other guys.
Who do you like more?

Personally, I love Miles Sanders but I don't think he'll be there, same with David Montgomery.

After that I've got a cluster.. I like Devin Singletary because of his short-area burst and quickness, but he doesn't have the long speed I like. I like Darrell Henderson too quite a bit as well and I feel like Justice Hill isn't being talked about as much as he probably should be.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
Who do you like more?

Personally, I love Miles Sanders but I don't think he'll be there, same with David Montgomery.

After that I've got a cluster.. I like Devin Singletary because of his short-area burst and quickness, but he doesn't have the long speed I like. I like Darrell Henderson too quite a bit as well and I feel like Justice Hill isn't being talked about as much as he probably should be.
I think Sanders is the 2nd back off the board...possibly the first.

I do like Hill... I also like the idea of taking a flyer on Bryce Love in the 4th or so.

Other than those guys I like Dexter Williams and Jalin Moore.

I like Ozigbo, but he's as good a fit in this offense as Howard was. Henderson, Singletary, Montgomery, and maybe even Holyfield could be off the board.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Who do you like more?

I think Sanders is the 2nd back off the board...possibly the first.

I do like Hill... I also like the idea of taking a flyer on Bryce Love in the 4th or so.

Other than those guys I like Dexter Williams and Jalin Moore.

I like Ozigbo, but he's as good a fit in this offense as Howard was. Henderson, Singletary, Montgomery, and maybe even Holyfield could be off the board.

:wink:

wab
Mod

A little, but he was really starting to come on in the same blocking scheme that the Bears run.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

IDK, I think we're hyper focused on RB and we're going to be disappointed when Pace waits til round 6-7 to take a guy if we take anyone at all.
I believe that this is Longs' last year barring a miracle season. So we need O line depth. I also think we need OLB, ILB, and 5 tech DE help along with depth in the secondary.
There are still 6 or so versatile guys in FA that we could sign if we really need another guy.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Benny Snell is a 2 down guy type to look at too. I know we are all looking at speed but that might not be the case with Davis and Cohen already in the fold. Snell has good vision, balance, and power. He blocks well. Has decent hands. He doesn't have top end speed, but he can hit the hole with authority.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

mmmc_35 wrote:Benny Snell is a 2 down guy type to look at too. I know we are all looking at speed but that might not be the case with Davis and Cohen already in the fold. Snell has good vision, balance, and power. He blocks well. Has decent hands. He doesn't have top end speed, but he can hit the hole with authority.
I have to disagree here, there's not a whole lot of speed at the RB position with just Davis and Cohen - Cohen being the only one with speed. I think Nagy is looking for more of a homerun hitter, a guy that can get big chunks without grinding it out on the ground. I also think Cohen is going to be used more and more as a receiver and not get as many carries. I think Nagy is going to look to spread the carries around a bit, so a guy like Darrell Henderson makes a lot of sense IMO, because at Memphis he split carries with Taylor Jr. and Pollard and made the most of almost every opportunity with a 8.9 ypc average and 22 TD's.

I have a feeling the Bears will move up in some way to get the RB they want.

For the record, I'm not a Trayveon Williams guy - for the reasons I stated earlier in the thread.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Darrell Henderson could be a stud in our offense...

wab
Mod

Doesn’t matter. Bears are apparently trash without Jordan Howard and the exec of they year has no idea what he’s doing.
cblaz11
MVP

G08 wrote:I think Darrell Henderson could be a stud in our offense...

Agree 100%...Skill set wise....he’s a homerun hitter with great vision.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:Doesn’t matter. Bears are apparently trash without Jordan Howard and the exec of they year has no idea what he’s doing.
Yep. We traded the current day Jim Brown away for nuts.
EricTighe
MVP

I still think Love and redshirting him for a year is a very viable option.

I am hoping there is someone they love in the draft that made them give away Howard. Pace and his group have had good success in the RB department.
EricTighe
MVP

wab wrote:Doesn’t matter. Bears are apparently trash without Jordan Howard and the exec of the year has no idea what he’s doing.

And yet if he would have got rid of the damn Margarine and bought some real butter we may have gone further in the playoffs. But hey he is exec of the year so he never makes mistakes right?
Last time we gave up someone only to be missing him later the Eagles won the damn Superbowl. If this happens again I am going to be pissed. No way fans who beat up Santa Clause deserve to win a Superbowl much less two.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Pace isn't infallible, and I'm quite sure wab's hyperbole wasn't suggesting he is.

But the larger point I think should be taken away is that most of the league had a similar view of Howard the player the Bears have.

I like JH and wish him success when he's not playing the Bears. He gave them three years on a rookie contract and for that I am grateful.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
EricTighe
MVP

thunderspirit wrote:Pace isn't infallible, and I'm quite sure wab's hyperbole wasn't suggesting he is.

But the larger point I think should be taken away is that most of the league had a similar view of Howard the player the Bears have.

I like JH and wish him success when he's not playing the Bears. He gave them three years on a rookie contract and for that I am grateful.
I appreciate and respect other opinions but I do believe in a little loyalty.

Mark this down Howard will come back to bite us in the ass. I said it right here and right now.

Said the same damn thing when we let 17 walk. Damn, I hate being right.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote:
wab wrote:Doesn’t matter. Bears are apparently trash without Jordan Howard and the exec of the year has no idea what he’s doing.

And yet if he would have got rid of the damn Margarine and bought some real butter we may have gone further in the playoffs. But hey he is exec of the year so he never makes mistakes right?
Last time we gave up someone only to be missing him later the Eagles won the damn Superbowl. If this happens again I am going to be pissed. No way fans who beat up Santa Clause deserve to win a Superbowl much less two.
We didn't give up Jefferies. He left as a FA signed a lesser deal with the eagles.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:Pace isn't infallible, and I'm quite sure wab's hyperbole wasn't suggesting he is.

I appreciate and respect other opinions but I do believe in a little loyalty.

Mark this down Howard will come back to bite us in the ass. I said it right here and right now.

Said the same damn thing when we let 17 walk. Damn, I hate being right.
I would like to know how Jeffrey bit them in the ass?

He is actually ok but nothing special jump ball guy. Even philly fans think he is way overpaid.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Alex Barnes or Damien Harris could be possible choices as well...
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I feel like Barnes or Harris are a little too similar to Mike Davis in terms of skill set. All 3 of them are not very fast and have long speed. All of them seem to be capable receivers out of the backfield. I think the Bears are looking for a back that has a different style than what they already have in Davis and Cohen. They want a back that has a mixture of both of Davis/Cohen's skillset. Meaning a guy that can handle 10-15 touches a game and be explosive by running in between the tackles, outside zone or catching the ball out of the backfield. I don't see Barnes or Harris being that explosive. I could be wrong though.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Williams paid us a visit the other day.

I think the Bears really like him.

cblaz11
MVP

He kind of reminds me of Jordan Howard ...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:I feel like Barnes or Harris are a little too similar to Mike Davis in terms of skill set. All 3 of them are not very fast and have long speed. All of them seem to be capable receivers out of the backfield. I think the Bears are looking for a back that has a different style than what they already have in Davis and Cohen. They want a back that has a mixture of both of Davis/Cohen's skillset. Meaning a guy that can handle 10-15 touches a game and be explosive by running in between the tackles, outside zone or catching the ball out of the backfield. I don't see Barnes or Harris being that explosive. I could be wrong though.
Barnes had a faster 20 yard shuttle, as well as a better LG and vertical than Miles Sanders.... at 15 pounds heavier... his RAS score was 9.8 at the combine...
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote:He kind of reminds me of Jordan Howard ...
Trayveon Williams reminds you of Jordan Howard...?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:
cblaz11 wrote:He kind of reminds me of Jordan Howard ...
Trayveon Williams reminds you of Jordan Howard...?
Well, sure. I mean, they both play RB, both are reported to have good football character, and both are reported to be good guys in the locker room. It's like holding up a mirror!
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Sounds like Williams paid us a visit the other day.

I think the Bears really like him.
They might. He does a good job reading lanes. I wouldn't say he has excellent vision but it's good for a gap scheme. He reads the lineman and hits the hole. He is a good reciever. He doesn't make his own yards and seems to lack lateral agility. But if they want a guy to hit a lane he can do it. I personally wish he was more fluid in open field, or had more momentum behind him. He is more of a 3rd down guy in my opinion but he does fit the scheme.
G08
Hall of Famer

He's an alpha and well-respected team leader, I think Pace is going to love that.

He doesn't have an elite burst or cutting ability, BUT he does impress me with cutting at full speed (not as deep of a cut, mind you) which muddies up a defenders shot to hit him. Kid runs with more power than I expected too.

Smaller back but I like him, I like his vision, his hands and mostly his pass blocking. If Darrell Henderson is there in the 3rd I think he's the pick, if he's not I think it's Williams (assuming we go RB there).