Schefter: Multiple Teams Spoke w/ Bears at Combine re Howard

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Adam Schefter
‏@AdamSchefter

Multiple teams approached the Chicago Bears at the combine last week and discussed a potential trade for RB Jordan Howard, per league sources. Discussions ongoing.
Seems more like 'when' not 'if'.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DoubleDoink
Rookie

Never saw him fitting in Nagy's system. Wonder if we go after that KC rb that is a FA.
G08
Hall of Famer

DoubleDoink wrote:Never saw him fitting in Nagy's system. Wonder if we go after that KC rb that is a FA.
Some kids in the draft I like quite a bit... David Montgomery and Miles Sanders would be my top choices.

DoubleDoink
Rookie

I love Sanders the most. Hope he's there in the 3rd.
G08
Hall of Famer

DoubleDoink wrote:I love Sanders the most. Hope he's there in the 3rd.
NY Jets make a TON of sense with Gase/Loggains there and a young QB they are trying to develop.

We can packing our 3rd round pick, #87, and Jordan Howard to move up to the Jets' #68 pick. The value equates to a very low 3rd round pick.

DoubleDoink
Rookie

G08 wrote:
DoubleDoink wrote:I love Sanders the most. Hope he's there in the 3rd.
NY Jets make a TON of sense with Gase/Loggains there and a young QB they are trying to develop.

We can packing our 3rd round pick, #87, and Jordan Howard to move up to the Jets' #68 pick. The value equates to a very low 3rd round pick.
Yeah I was just thinking instead of straight up pick for Howard, make trade up with him.
wab
Mod

I would be shocked if he doesn't end up with the Jets.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I would be shocked if he doesn't end up with the Jets.
I think you were the first person I saw to suggest this and it makes a ton of sense.

FWIW Schefter thinks it will be a day 3 pick (round 4-7).

UOK
Site Admin

Makes sense. I like Howard but he's no longer a fit here. He needs a team like the Jets where he can get a ton of carries and work up a froth.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I know you typically trade out of conference, but I think he’d thrive in Seattle.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

They better have a pretty rock solid replacement plan if they trade him. And they better be darned sure that our OL can power block effectively--yet undemonstrated, IMO. Consider... We trade Howard and revert to power blocking that Nagy wants... only to find out we're not so good at it. That would look pretty bad.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I hope we can get a late 3rd for him, but I expect a 4th. Best of luck to Howard if he is traded, I've liked him a lot as a Bear.
Umbali
MVP

Ideally the replacement would be in the draft, where you can then have a young player with a cheap contract for 4 or 5 years. Ive always liked Howard and I found it odd that even tho he obviously worked on his hands, they still didnt throw to him much this year. Personally I would have preferred adjusting the blocking scheme, however clearly at this stage I am willing to trust Nagy! If Nagy says go, then go you shall lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am also in agreement that the Jets make the most sense for him .... get back to a more conventional offense where he gets his 25+ carries a game.

Sorry to see him go, but would be happy he goes somewhere he can be productive and happy.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:They better have a pretty rock solid replacement plan if they trade him. And they better be darned sure that our OL can power block effectively--yet undemonstrated, IMO. Consider... We trade Howard and revert to power blocking that Nagy wants... only to find out we're not so good at it. That would look pretty bad.
Solid point. Our power blocking sucks. Howard usually had absolutely nowhere to run, always found it odd that people blamed Howard like he magically sucked after a few really good seasons for us. Basic eye test said we couldn't move people off the ball in a power scheme. Once we flipped the blocking scheme, Howard flourished again.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Boris13c wrote:I am also in agreement that the Jets make the most sense for him .... get back to a more conventional offense where he gets his 25+ carries a game.

Sorry to see him go, but would be happy he goes somewhere he can be productive and happy.
Jets or even the Ravens who just cut Alex Collins.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

Howard just didn't have the juice this offense values in running backs. I commented in the chat room nearly every game that he looked so incredibly slow, it was almost painful to watch.

Yes, he thrives in a zone blocking system but guys that's not what we're running. Why that is, schematically, I have no idea. Any offensive line buffs here that can explain why Nagy's offense prefers a man/power blocking scheme? Does it have to do with play action, etc? I do know that with zone blocking system you want to run that scheme every single play so it looks the same to the defense (think LA Rams and Shanahan's Denver Broncos). That's not what we're going for here, clearly.

britbear
Player of the Month

There are videos on the NFL app where people are talking about trades with NO for Ingram or with Buffalo for McCoy. Cannot see the Bears doing either. Why would they go for a guy in the late twilight of his career? Even if he does fit Nagy's scheme better. No. Just no.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

britbear wrote:There are videos on the NFL app where people are talking about trades with NO for Ingram or with Buffalo for McCoy. Cannot see the Bears doing either. Why would they go for a guy in the late twilight of his career? Even if he does fit Nagy's scheme better. No. Just no.
The Shady trade makes some sense to me. He’s entering the last year of his contract. So if we like a back in this draft, we can get a young back, and get Shady for a year with no intention of resigning him. Meanwhile the draftee has a year to learn.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:
britbear wrote:There are videos on the NFL app where people are talking about trades with NO for Ingram or with Buffalo for McCoy. Cannot see the Bears doing either. Why would they go for a guy in the late twilight of his career? Even if he does fit Nagy's scheme better. No. Just no.
The Shady trade makes some sense to me. He’s entering the last year of his contract. So if we like a back in this draft, we can get a young back, and get Shady for a year with no intention of resigning him. Meanwhile the draftee has a year to learn.
I like that idea a lot.
wab
Mod

I guess the question would be, would you rather have McCoy in this offense for a year, or Howard?
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Since Cohen is going to figure prominently in the backfield I don't see any reason to trade for McCoy to split time. I'd rather pick up someone like Hyde on a cheap FA deal and keep our picks.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
EricTighe
MVP

wab wrote:I guess the question would be, would you rather have McCoy in this offense for a year, or Howard?
Easy true professional or the Drama Queen?

I keep Howard.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

McCoy doesn't look much faster than Howard at this point in his career. He can catch better, but McCoy hasn't been a pillar of health either.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Woof...

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

what seems to be lost in a lot of the discussions about Howard is he is not a bad RB ... he just is not a good fit for what the Bears now wish to do with the RB position in their system

there are teams that could use a solid conventional type back, like the Eagles for instance ... so I think there is a market for the Bears to get value in a trade of Howard rather than simply giving hm away ... and I am quite sure Ryan Pace also realizes this

I wish Howard well wherever he ends up
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

With the Jets getting Bell, the best "fits" for his skillset are in Oakland, Buffalo, and Tampa Bay.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Madden-type idea:

Howard + 4th
Pierre-Paul + 3rd

They clear cap space, add a starting quality RB who doesn't cost much. We get our 1 year EDGE rental and a little more draft ammo to try and move up into the 2nd.
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:
RBs don't need a year to learn. How many rookie RBs have been outstanding? A LOT. Including Jordan Howard.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Young backs can take some time to learn protections so it couldn’t hurt but I still like my idea better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats