Phillies video gaming during games?

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Carlos Santana smashed a television because Phillies players were playing 'Fortnite' during a game last September
The 2018 season was expected to be a breakout year for the Philadelphia Phillies. After losing 89-plus games each year from 2013-17, the Phillies were set to incorporate several prized young prospects into the everyday lineup, and they had a bright new modern manager in rookie skipper Gabe Kapler. The transition from rebuilder to contender was underway.

The Phillies did improve in 2018, but only to 80-82, and they collapsed down the stretch. Philadelphia had the National League's second best record at 58-44 on the morning of July 27. They posted the fifth worst record in baseball thereafter though, losing 38 of their final 60 games. It was a disappointing finish to what had been a very exciting start to the season.

According to ESPN's Jeff Passan, the team's issues went deeper than on-field play. Unnamed players would retreat into the clubhouse during September games last year to sneak in some video game time with "Fortnite." That led to veteran Carlos Santana smashing the television with a bat. From Passan:

When the Philadelphia Phillies lost their ninth consecutive game toward the end of last September, veteran first baseman Carlos Santana felt like he needed to send a message to his teammates who he said spent portions of the game against the Atlanta Braves playing video games in the clubhouse. Santana grabbed a bat, retreated to the room at Citizens Bank Park where the gaming took place and smashed the TV to ensure there would be no more "Fortnite" the final two days of the season.

"I see a couple players -- I don't want to say names -- they play video games during the game," Santana told ESPN. "We come and lose too many games, and I feel like they weren't worried about it. Weren't respecting their teammates or coaches or the staff or the [front] office. It's not my personality. But I'm angry because I want to make it good."

maybe he should have bopped a couple of the video game players with the bat too
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Edit:

The NHL has already ran into a bevy of problems with it, so they've banned Fortnite. The NFL, not so much.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl- ... r-players/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://screenrant.com/fortnite-game-nf ... s-jerseys/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

enjoying video games is fine, and everyone has their favorites ... and playing video games during their off time is better than them getting a DUI at 2:00am coming home from the club

but if I was a manager or a coach and found out players were enjoying video games during the games they are playing in, I would not be amused and would probably do something to discourage it ... maybe it would start with me smashing their gaming systems into little pieces and then escalate from there
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Edit:

The NHL has already ran into a bevy of problems with it, so they've banned Fortnite. The NFL, not so much.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl- ... r-players/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://screenrant.com/fortnite-game-nf ... s-jerseys/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dunno about banning it during their off time ... that seems a bit much to me
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:https://screenrant.com/fortnite-game-nfl-outfits-jerseys/

Fortnite X NFL will add all 32 jerseys from the NFL as Outfits in the Fortnite Item Shop, and each Outfit can be swapped to any of the 32 different NFL teams as well as an additional team made uniquely for the Fortnite universe, according to an official release from Epic Games. Players will also have the ability to choose any number from 0-99 for their jersey to complete their own custom NFL appearance. The mind boggles at which number in that range is going to be most popular.

I'm thinking 69 will be a popular one
George Carlin