Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... positions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune tweets that the Chicago Bears aren’t ruling out a position swap that would move center Cody Whitehair to guard and James Daniels (currently listed as the team’s top left guard) over to center.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Makes sense to try something new. I liked Whitehair at center at the time, because the writing was on the wall that slauson was going to be cut, and Cody was the best guy to take over at center at that time.
But that was then, and he has not exactly been lights out.
He needs to play, but it doesn't necessarily need to play the center
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wanted it last year, but it was too tough for a rookie to be expected to take over and make the calls.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Something new. lol... That half of us in this forum were calling for last year.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm so tired of seeing our linemen getting dicked around. Put them at one fucking spot and let them develop and hone their craft!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

GSH
MVP

G08 wrote:I'm so tired of seeing our linemen getting dicked around. Put them at one fucking spot and let them develop and hone their craft!
this
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

It would make some sense to let these two go to their natural positions. I agree in general with not moving guys all around, but if HH thinks they should swap back to their natural positions, it makes sense.
Bad Flanders
MVP

GSH wrote:
G08 wrote:I'm so tired of seeing our linemen getting dicked around. Put them at one fucking spot and let them develop and hone their craft!
this
Exactly. Put them in a spot and leave it. If you don't make this switch last year when it was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year, why make it this year when the the window is as big as it's been in more than a decade?!?!?
malk
Head Coach

Bad Flanders wrote:
GSH wrote:
this
Exactly. Put them in a spot and leave it. If you don't make this switch last year when it was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year, why make it this year when the the window is as big as it's been in more than a decade?!?!?
This... except put them in the right spots to begin with please thank you.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Whitehair is more prototypical Guard, was a guard and tackle in college and was drafted as a guard, he was stuck at center due to severe need at the time due to injuries and backups sucking hind tit. He has done OK, but his shotgun snaps are very inconsistent.

Daniels is more prototypical center and was a center in college but was put at guard and did well as a rookie eventually when he was put in.

I can understand not wanting a rookie at center when you are putting in a new offense, grooming a young QB and want your line calls correct.

If HH says it is the way to go I would call it close to Gospel.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:It would make some sense to let these two go to their natural positions. I agree in general with not moving guys all around, but if HH thinks they should swap back to their natural positions, it makes sense.
I'm with you.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

If the Bears are floating this, then this is what is going to happen.
wab
Mod

I think with his movement skills, Daniels could be the best center in the NFL.
sturf
Journeyman

Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
wab
Mod

sturf wrote:Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
Undersized? He's the same size as Daniels. He's the same size as Zack Martin. He's bigger than the Bears' left tackle.
Bad Flanders
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:I can understand not wanting a rookie at center when you are putting in a new offense, grooming a young QB and want your line calls correct.

If HH says it is the way to go I would call it close to Gospel.
Solid points, I get it.

Just hope they don't get too fancy and fix something that we all thought would be a problem and then turned out not to be broken at all.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I don't get what the discussion is even about ... a talking head is who "floated the idea", not Nagy or Hiestand

so maybe we should wait until training camp and see what the team is actually up to?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:I don't get what the discussion is even about ... a talking head is who "floated the idea", not Nagy or Hiestand

so maybe we should wait until training camp and see what the team is actually up to?
Don’t be so boring. We have to debate something.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't get what the discussion is even about ... a talking head is who "floated the idea", not Nagy or Hiestand

I say Right Twix

who's with me?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:
sturf wrote:Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
Undersized? He's the same size as Daniels. He's the same size as Zack Martin. He's bigger than the Bears' left tackle.
Whitehair is two pounds lighter than Leno, wab, LOL

But more to the point: he and Leno and Daniels and Long are all within ten pounds of each other. There's every indication that's the size the Bears want on the OL.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

I say Right Twix

who's with me?
I say left Twix, but he was drafted as a right Twix so we might be agreeing
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:
Whitehair is two pounds lighter than Leno, wab, LOL

But more to the point: he and Leno and Daniels and Long are all within ten pounds of each other. There's every indication that's the size the Bears want on the OL.
Cody Whitehair - 6'4 310
http://www.nfl.com/player/codywhitehair/2555132/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles Leno - 6'3 306
http://www.nfl.com/player/charleslenojr ... 69/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sturf
Journeyman

Whitehair, Daniels, and Leno may be roughly the same height, but the size differences are apparent when you see them standing next to each other like I have regularly at training camp.

Daniels was 20 years old and already a few pounds heavier at the combine than Whitehair was only at 301 at the combine. Daniels has arms a full inch and change longer than Whitehair. Daniels is only likely to get heavier in the NFL given how young he is. When you see these two stand next to each other it is obvious Daniels is the bigger bodied guy with obvious room to gain weight, while Whitehair looks maxed out as far as weight and he hasn't looked any bigger since his rookie season.

Leno has two inches in arm length on Whitehair and has obviously added weight since he was drafted, which is why Leno has the size to still play left tackle and Whitehair isn't. Again Leno and Whitehair may be a similar height, but they don't look the same size. Wab saying Whitehair is bigger than Leno is completely off base. Zach Martin who he also brought up is also taller, heavier, and longer than Whitehair.

Getting back to my original point. Generally if you have two guys and one weighs less and has shorter arms than the other. You play the heavier and longer player at guard, and the lighter and shorter armed player at center. Harry may make a different decision. My point is that it is not as obvious a switch as some people in this thread were making it as someone that has seen them up close.
wab
Mod

sturf wrote:Whitehair, Daniels, and Leno may be roughly the same height, but the size differences are apparent when you see them standing next to each other like I have regularly at training camp.

Daniels was 20 years old and already a few pounds heavier at the combine than Whitehair was only at 301 at the combine. Daniels has arms a full inch and change longer than Whitehair. Daniels is only likely to get heavier in the NFL given how young he is. When you see these two stand next to each other it is obvious Daniels is the bigger bodied guy with obvious room to gain weight, while Whitehair looks maxed out as far as weight and he hasn't looked any bigger since his rookie season.

Leno has two inches in arm length on Whitehair and has obviously added weight since he was drafted, which is why Leno has the size to still play left tackle and Whitehair isn't. Again Leno and Whitehair may be a similar height, but they don't look the same size. Wab saying Whitehair is bigger than Leno is completely off base. Zach Martin who he also brought up is also taller, heavier, and longer than Whitehair.

Getting back to my original point. Generally if you have two guys and one weighs less and has shorter arms than the other. You play the heavier and longer player at guard, and the lighter and shorter armed player at center. Harry may make a different decision. My point is that it is not as obvious a switch as some people in this thread were making it as someone that has seen them up close.
Saying Whitehair is "undersized" is what is off base.

But I'll leave it at that.
Umbali
MVP

First of all : Left Twix. Lefties are always harder to defend, and even tho I am mostly right handed I can throw either and my left it way better, and my daughter and wife are full left handed and God help me if they ever find an internet post where I picked the Right. Other than politics lol.

Now as far as Whitehair and Daniels, um the experts who's jobs, career paychecks etc are on the line are not going to do the stupid thing compared to us internet hacks who may or may not have seen them standing around at TC or playing in a game. I would have to guess they will make their decisions off of a 100 different things that we never have access to.

Resume your off season speculations!

:)
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

It’s about goddamn time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RRH is going to place kick as well.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

This is the move we all wanted last year and now almost everyone Is annoyed by it. Tbh I feel it too but I think this’ll be best in the long run

xyt in the discord chats
EricTighe
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:This is the move we all wanted last year and now almost everyone Is annoyed by it. Tbh I feel it too but I think this’ll be best in the long run

Not everyone. I didn't want it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... er-week-17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bears finished the season with the league’s second-best pass blocking efficiency of any offensive line, and this was yet another team without a real weak link. Rookie James Daniels ended up earning their lowest grade at 62.3 overall, but Charles Leno Jr., Bobby Massie, and Cody Whitehair were all over 70.0.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus Daniels held up great against Donald so he may be in his Natural position.
malk
Head Coach

I think moving players gets a bad press down to attempts to shoehorn guys into, typically, tackle spots out of desperation. It's seems fairly obvious to me that both Whitehair and Daniels are Good Players who can play both guard and centre. I happen to be of the opinion that Whitehair will never be an elite centre buy could be an elite guard and suspect the opposite for Daniels (he's only had one year so I wouldn't make a strong assertion) but the bottom line for me is that it's incredibly unlikely that everything would go to hell if we, ulp, "moved" them.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)