2018-2019 Hawks Season - Redemption

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

In hockey it's particularly terrible to tank, IMHO, as the organization can suffer greatly at the expense of hoping you draft Crosby 2.0, when chances are you'll draft a guy like Yakupov.

It's even more of an issue for a franchise like the Blackhawks that has set a very prestigious standard of excellence for themselves after decades of being a professional sports afterthought. Not in their best interests at all to throw in the towel because defining themselves as winners, even when they lose, is attractive to free agents, scouts, etc.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

very pissed at the Blackhawks effort in Boston last night

a 5 on 3 power play and they only manage to get off 1 weak shot on goal? they looked like they were playing in slow motion the whole time ... the game was still close at that point so their lack of scoring aggression puzzled me ... and pissed me off
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

IMO, this game showed the lack of quality depth of the Hawks and how bad Seabrook sucks. Boston was the far better team the entire game. Hawks just not up to playing against a team that good at this point in time. They need to do something with Seabs, hell make him inactive for some games or something. He offers nothing at this point in his career and the dumb ass contract Bowman signed him to really handcuffs the Hawks.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nice little 7 game streak came to an end but the Hawks still going pretty well. That Ottawa game, holy shit. Delia looked awful, all 3 goals, 5 hole. The young guys continue to show improvement and it is good to see. I think they are coming around and the future doesn't look too bad.
UOK
Site Admin

It's weird how Crawford is sort of in denial about how bad his health is. I get that he's a fighter, but his body's breaking down on him. He's got to be the first one to admit it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Crawford definitely needs to walk away. He needs someone in his ear shouting, "GET OUT!"

That Hawk D is just so dreadful. Seabroook, I keep harping on him, brings nothing to the table. The D is slow, looks unsure of what they are doing and that usually means the goalies are hung out to dry. Both goalies look a little slow compared to other goalies I have seen this year.

4-1 and they blow it in less than one periods time. Kane just happens to put himself in the best positions of late.
UOK
Site Admin

Kane is having and wasting a banner year while the team struggles. There's bright spots, but they need to push the button on a few of these guys and start flipping for younger talent. The roster's not OLD, really, but the parts that are are anchoring the lineup.

Lazerus made an interesting point about how the Blackhawks made a mistake by not firing Quenneville *sooner*, and giving him a clean break and Colliton a clean start. The nice point streak they had going for awhile was slight evidence that this team can thrive when it clicks, but there's clearly not enough of that. Perhaps getting Colliton a full offseason and the roster time to properly say goodbye to Quenneville would've helped this season be less of a roller coaster.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I disagree with Lazerus because I don't think Coach Q should have been fired ... the mess with the contracts hamstringing their ability to make needed moves was not Coach Q's doing
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I think this team would be in a worse position of Q was still around. I love Q, love that he helped bring 3 Cups to the Hawks, but those were times when the vets were "old" and were producing. That same core, some of those just do not have it anymore and Q was still going to lean on them heavily. He hated playing young guys. This team is about the young guys now and and not the Kunitzs, the Seabrooks or the Keiths. Hate to say it, but at this time they are better off without Q.

Bowman has fucked up royally for sure. The fucking no movement clauses he likes to throw on these vet contracts is a killer. His foresight with some players was just awful. I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I have enjoyed watching this team since Q was fired. I like what I see, the young guys have shown improvement.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Maple Leafs nearly erase five-goal deficit during insane third period vs. Blackhawks

a quote from the story :
If you decided to stop watching Wednesday's Blackhawks-Maple Leafs game after two periods, you happened to miss one of the craziest finishes to a game this season.
raises hand

went to bed ... then today, reading what I missed

hard to believe in this topsy turvy season the Blackhawks are still in the wild card chase ... those 2 points from the Leafs were important
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Once I saw it was 5-2 I had that feeling of "oh god."
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I was only able to listen on the radio. When it was 5-0, I thought, "Damn", Hawks are rolling. Then it hit 5-1 and I had to turn it off due to working. When I turned it back on as the Leafs scored goal #4, I was oh hell no!!. didn't know why Crow was not in til the next day. That d of theirs is dreadful.

So in last 2 games they put up 12 goals. I have only seen 2. Haven't been able to catch their games of late.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that suspect D redeemed itself against the Canadians on Saturday ... Crawford was amazing ... Canadians got off twice as many shots as the Blackhawks but none got through

penalty kill was superb

it is not going to be easy for them, but they can sneak into the playoffs, which would be an achievement considering how most of the season has gone
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

OT loss to the Canucks hurt ... I'm guessing the Blackhawks need to win at least 7 of their final 10 to get that final wild card slot ... not impossible but certainly not going to be easy
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Saw the last few minutes of that game and the severely abbreviated OT. I hate NHL OT, 3 on 3 bullshit. Keep it 5 on 5. I know why the did it, bring excitement and scoring, but it sucks. OT 3 on 3 and shootouts just seem to punish the goalies.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Blackhawks were on a roll and I actually thought they had a legitimate chance to snag a WC ... on a roll, then ending like a wet fart ... oh well

not even sure who I'd even be interested in seeing but I know I will be watching some playoff action anyway
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Blackhawks still technically alive for a playoff spot ... which surprises me

NHL Playoff picture after Monday: Blackhawks survive — barely
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:Blackhawks were on a roll and I actually thought they had a legitimate chance to snag a WC ... on a roll, then ending like a wet fart ... oh well

not even sure who I'd even be interested in seeing but I know I will be watching some playoff action anyway

I will be rooting for a Winnipeg Jets v Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Final. I like to watch both teams when Hawks not on. Both have some good young talent and I would like to see Canada get excited about having 2 teams playing for the Cup.

Missed the last 4 Hawks games, dammt. Just had shit going on.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:
Boris13c wrote:Blackhawks were on a roll and I actually thought they had a legitimate chance to snag a WC ... on a roll, then ending like a wet fart ... oh well

I will be rooting for a Winnipeg Jets v Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Final. I like to watch both teams when Hawks not on. Both have some good young talent and I would like to see Canada get excited about having 2 teams playing for the Cup.

I guess I'd be ok with that

Otis Day wrote:Missed the last 4 Hawks games, dammt. Just had shit going on.
they are putting in the effort and trying to make a push to get in ... would seem to be too little too late though, especially with last night's OT loss but they are not yet eliminated ... they will be if Colorado gets a point in their game tonight
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Blackhawks’ Jonathan Toews sets new season career-high in points
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews set a new season career-high in points with a power-play goal against the Jets on Monday at the United Center in Chicago.

Toews eclipsed his career-high in points with a power-play goal at 4:25 in the first period. He fired a shot from the left faceoff circle through Connor Hellebuyck’s five-hole for his 77th point this season, surpassing his 2010-11 total.

Toews’ 34th goal this season also tied his career-high in goals set back in the 2008-09 season.
good for him ... too bad it comes in a losing season for the team
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Just think, he sets a career high, Kane and DeBrincat get 40(+) goals, Stromme has his best season.......but their D has sucked to high heaven. Shore up the D and if they can continue to score, they should be able to turn it around pretty quickly.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Just think, he sets a career high, Kane and DeBrincat get 40(+) goals, Stromme has his best season.......but their D has sucked to high heaven. Shore up the D and if they can continue to score, they should be able to turn it around pretty quickly.

just watch the replay of the Jets winning OT goal in their last game ... Saad, instead of playing the puck or the guy with the puck, just causally skates in front of the net and lets the goal happen right in front of him without even offering token resistance

Kevin Hayes dangles past Blackhawks for gorgeous OT winner

wtf ... he couldn't even be bothered to at least get in the way? that was a crappy way to end a game like this
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Piss poor effort there. That is the time they needed a guy who is not afraid to get physical. The Hawks lack that big time. Knock the mofo off the puck. That was bad. Kind of glad I missed that last night. I would have gotten pissed and not been able to sleep for awhile.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

and now they are done ... without even playing

Blackhawks are eliminated from playoff contention for a 2nd straight season with 3 games to go
The hole the Blackhawks dug for themselves in the first half of the season was so enormous that a month after they showed signs of turning their season around, they still had the worst record in the NHL.

After going 6-2-1 over a three-week stretch in December and January, the Hawks went 0-3-2 during a five-game losing streak. On the morning of Jan. 20, they were 16-24-9 and woke up 11 points out of a Western Conference playoff spot with the fewest points in the league.

Fewer than the Kings, the Red Wings and even the Senators.

It was almost unthinkable that the Hawks, who had 11 regulation wins to that point, would remain in the playoff race until April. But with three games remaining, they still were mathematically alive Tuesday.

The Hawks’ hopes rested on winning all three games and the Avalanche losing their remaining three in regulation. But the Avs didn’t cooperate, defeating the Oilers 6-2 on Tuesday night in Denver to finally — officially — end the Hawks’ postseason chances.

Corey Crawford says playoff-less Blackhawks owe fans a show
One of the most endearing things about Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford, something that has made him one of the most popular athletes in Chicago for the last decade, is that he says what he thinks.

He doesn’t guard his words. He doesn’t sugarcoat. So while his Hawks teammates tried to stay on the bright side after delaying elimination from the playoff race for another day despite losing to the Jets in overtime Monday, Crawford let it fly with no filter.

‘‘It’s been a long time since I faced that, where you’re playing without a reason,’’ he said of the inevitable. ‘‘I don’t know. We’ll see. It’s still fun to play the game. We’re pretty lucky to have the building full. We could be in Florida or something, with 7,000 fans in the crowd.

‘‘So we’re pretty lucky to be here and still have a full building to come see us play hockey. At least we have them to play for, to try and put on some kind of show and play hard for the people that come out and pay to come see us play.’’

That’s all that’s left — other than personal pride — when the Hawks hit the ice for a home game Wednesday against the Blues. They were officially eliminated from the playoff race by the Avalanche’s 6-2 victory Tuesday against the Oilers, which left them eight points out with three games left.
George Carlin