Hall of Famer

and the games have begun :

Stanley Cup® Playoffs Results Bracket
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Sharks' Pavelski scores goal off jaw, loses teeth
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Joe Pavelski's face was numb, but his spirits were high. The Sharks' captain opened the scoring in Game 1 of San Jose's series against the Vegas Golden Knights with a goal that sparked the Sharks to an emphatic 5-2 victory on Wednesday night. But with the goal came some self-sacrifice -- namely a few of Pavelski's teeth, as a Brent Burns shot bounced off his jaw and behind goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.

"I feel all right," said Pavelski after the game, his chin and bottom lip swelled over, blood visible on his bottom row of teeth. "But enough with the dental questions."

At 14:42 of the first period, Pavelski was in his usual spot in front of the opponent's crease.

"I saw Burnsy had it. Sometimes, there's a shot. Sometimes, there's not. It kinda looked like he was trying to release it, and I didn't even see it come off his stick," he said.

Was this the most painful goal Pavelski ever scored?

"Yeah, I suppose," he said. "It didn't feel good."

Pavelski knew he had lost a few teeth as he skated off to the Sharks' trainers room, the crowd cheering loudly for the goal he scored off his face. He would enter the NHL's concussion protocol and have his wounds stitched up, but Pavelski was never worried about having to leave the game.

"You know, I think I knew right away. On my way to the bench, I knew I would be OK," he said.
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am hoping for the following:

Jets over Blues

Stars over Preds

Leafs over Bruins

Columbus over TB

So there is a great chance all those teams lose.

Jets v Blues was a good game until the 3rd. F*CKING BLUES!!!

Would love to see a Jets v Leafs Stanley Cup.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well the Leafs v Boston series has turned into a rough one. Lot of good checking going on, some legal, some not.

Ovechkin knocked the shit out of a dude last night. Ovie hadn't fought in like 9 yrs and this young 'un had never fought once. KO.

Glad to see the Jets had some life in them Sunday night. Glad to see them light up the hated Blues.

Tampa and Pitt facing elimination, down 3-0. Love it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ovi's knockout was a perfect overhand right, below the face guard and right on the button ... early reports today say he may miss the next game too because of a possible concussion

for those who missed it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUmmkn4meg

been a pretty wild opening round ... biggest surprise to me is Tampa Bay ... I thought they would be the team to beat from the east
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

TB = gone

Penguins = gone

Great news, love the upsets.

Blues just go down, that series tied. I think the Jets finally found their game. Hope they take the next 2 and end this series.
UOK
Site Admin

The Bolts just made the worst type of history. Perhaps the biggest failure in the long history of the NHL playoffs.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

What The Hell Happened To The Lightning?
Six days in April can change a lot.

Six days ago, the Tampa Bay Lightning were champions-in-waiting. They were a 128-point team, and no team in the history of hockey had ever had more wins. Of their 62 wins, 30 had come by three or more goals. They had three 40-goal scorers and one truly historic season from Nikita Kucherov. They officially clinched a playoff spot a week into March, though had unofficially clinched the Presidents’ Trophy around, oh, Thanksgiving. They had the MVP, and the Vezina winner, and the likely runners-up for the Norris and Jack Adams. They had no flaws.

Those things are mostly all still true, but nobody will remember any of the feats except as set-up for the punchline: The 2018–19 Lightning tore ass through the NHL only to get swept in the first round.

Six days ago, the Columbus Blue Jackets were kind of a punchline. They had been a mess all season, sputtering along in post-contention, pre-rebuild limbo, just waiting for their disgruntled goalie and disgruntled star forward to leave, whether in the summer or at the trade deadline. Instead, they shockingly decided to be buyers at the deadline, mortgaging picks that would’ve helped with a rebuild in exchange for veterans, and accepting the possibility that Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin could leave them for nothing. Even after the trades the Blue Jackets sputtered along, only clinching a playoff spot on the season’s final weekend. And what did it matter anyway? This franchise had never won a playoff series in its history. And what did that matter anyway? They had to play the Tampa Bay Lightning, one of the greatest teams in the sport’s history.

Those things are mostly all still true, but right now, nobody cares. The 2018–19 Blue Jackets stumbled their way through a dysfunctional season and might’ve harmed their future with an inexplicable trade deadline strategy ... only to win their first-ever playoff series by just totally beating the Lightning’s asses.

“For six days in April,” Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said, “Columbus was the better team.”

That is the long and short of it, and any exegesis—and there will be much—will be at heart an attempt to understand why and how that statement could possibly be true, to understand why and how 82 games can have absolutely nothing to do with the next four.

first ever Presidents Trophy winners to get swept in the first round of the playoffs
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

While I have nothing against the Bolts, kind of like the way they play really, upsets in the playoffs are always a good thing. This upset was beyond awesome. Most everyone's pick to win the Cup, they get their asses handed to them in 4 games.

What is more interesting is how this will impact Columbus. Will the Breadman remain? What about Bob?

Tortorella's pre game speech the other night, I wanted to go out and beat some ass after hearing it. Talk about motivation, fiery speeches, they can and do work from time to time. I want to sit down with Torts, have a beer and watch a fuckin hockey game......that would be a helluva night right there.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Calgary, top team in the west, gone

this has been probably the wildest Stanley Cup playoffs I've witnessed

and the Blues - worst team in the NHL at the beginning of January, go on an end of season run, and now are in the second round of the playoffs

that was kind of the path I was hoping for the Blackhawks but they were not up to the task

this is crazy ... how about an all Wild Card Stanley Cup final? Avalanche vs Blue Jackets anyone? :o
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I can still hope for Toronto. Effing Jets folded in that 6th game. I effing hate the Blues with a passion.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

YYYYEEESSSSS, the Preds are dead!!!!!!!! :toast:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:YYYYEEESSSSS, the Preds are dead!!!!!!!! :toast:

that was a pretty intense game 6 ... both goalies were standing on their heads

what did you have against the Predators?
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Tha last few years their fans have just been a little too obnoxious for me. It is almost like they think they have reinvented hockey.

Then there is the attempts to keep opposing fans out of their building by not selling tickets to certain area codes when that game is coming up.

The catfish throwing on the ice. Leave it to Detroit and the octopus or whatever the hell the animal is they throw out there.

The trotting out of the Nashville/Country singers for the National Anthem.

The ugly ass uniforms.

P.K. Subban

Their crowds and their sophomoric chants.

I may be able to go on, but that is enough I guess.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

:lol:

okie doke

not sure if you watched the Capitals/Hurricanes game, but there was a lot of action, and a disputed tying goal

here is a very good read on what happened and why the tying goal was disallowed but perhaps shouldn't have been :

An inherent contradiction in rules on goalie interference cost the Capitals

here's the part that got my attention :
The NHL released the following explanation of the call:

At 10:34 of third period in the Capitals/Hurricanes game, Washington requested a Coach’s Challenge to review the “Interference on the Goalkeeper” decision that resulted in a “no goal” call.

After reviewing all available replays and consulting with the Referee, the Situation Room confirmed that Alex Ovechkin interfered with Petr Mrazek by pushing his pad, which caused the puck to enter the net. According to Rule 69.3, “If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.”

Therefore, the original call is upheld – no goal Washington Capitals.

Mrazek was in the crease, Ovechkin clearly made contact with his pad as he went for the puck and, according to the rule, even incidental contact will result in a disallowed goal. The fact that Ovechkin was clearly going for the puck and not simply trying to push Mrazek back into the net is irrelevant.

Caps fans may not want to admit it, but this seems pretty black and white…until you read the rule that completely contradicts it.

Rule 69 is the rule that deals with goalie interference. The NHL cited rule 69.3 in its explanation for the disallowed goal. Rule 69.7, however, deals with rebounds and loose pucks. That rule states, “In a rebound situation, or where a goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to play a loose puck, whether insider or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is scored as a result thereof will be allowed.”

After the game on Monday, the Caps were fuming at the call because the puck was clearly loose.

“I saw the puck,” Ovechkin said. “He didn't get it in control. He didn't see that, so I don't know what the referee saw or what the explanation was.”

“From our angle from the bench it looked like the puck was loose,” Reirden said. “We talked with our video staff and they felt like it was worth a challenge in that situation. That’s not how the league or the referees saw it and that’s a decision they made. But for us we thought the puck was loose. It was still a puck that was in play.”

When you see the replay, it’s hard to argue. That puck was loose. Rule 69.3 says it doesn’t matter. Rule 69.7 says it does.

When you read the NHL’s explanation for why the goal was disallowed, it makes sense. It stinks, but Ovechkin makes incidental contact with Mrazek in the crease. But take the same play and let’s pretend that the call was overturned and the goal allowed on the coach’s challenge. If the NHL cited Rule 69.7 in its explanation, it still would make complete sense.

If you can use two different rules on the exact same play to justify two different calls, that’s a problem.

yes it is
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Didn't get to see much of that game, what I have seen of that series was some good hockey though.

My dream Stanley Cup final is going down in flames. Jets eliminated and the Leafs on the verge of going out as well. FUCK!!

Maybe a Dallas v Columbus Cup final. I don't mind the Bruins, Columbus, Carolina, Dallas or the Sharks.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

San Jose made one hell of a comeback to advance ... they were down 3-0 in the 3rd period and managed to tie it in regulation and win in OT ... so bye bye to Vegas

Sharks vs Avalanch

only first round series left to be decided is Capitals vs Hurricanes, which will be decided tonight
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Those west coast games just go on to late in the night for me to stay up.

Sharks v Avs. Just really don't feel either team. Guess I will root for the Avs, they need some success and like to see McKinnon do well.

Come on Carolina!!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Now that was a game 7!! And it had the right ending.

All 4 division winners go out in the first round, gotta love NHL playoffs. :toast:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:All 4 division winners go out in the first round, gotta love NHL playoffs. :toast:

that is the first time in NHL playoff history that has happened ... what a wild and wacky first round this has been
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Carolina looking pretty damn good. They notch a win with the backup goalie, big win.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Brad Marchand could be in hot water again after punching Blue Jackets player in the back of head
It would appear that Boston Bruins winger Brad Marchand is up to his old tricks.

Marchand might find himself in hot water for his latest antics, this time following a cheap shot he delivered in the third period of Tuesday's Game 3 in Columbus. With the Bruins trailing 2-1 late in the game and the puck frozen by Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, Marchand couldn't resist taking a jab at an unsuspecting opponent.

Columbus defenseman Scott Harrington was on his knees just outside the crease when Marchand delivered a punch to the back of his helmet well after the whistle and then immediately slipped out of there.

t was a dirty play, and one that Marchand was able to get away with, as officials apparently missed it and no penalty was called. For that Marchand is extremely fortunate considering the Bruins were only down a goal and have been heavily outplayed on special teams throughout this entire series. (The Blue Jackets' game-winner in Game 3 was scored on the power play -- one produced by a Marchand penalty, no less.)

However, cameras caught the incident, which will undoubtedly be reviewed by the league's Department of Player Safety. Relatively speaking, it wasn't the hardest or most dangerous shot to the head, but this is Marchand we're talking about -- a controversial player with a lengthy rap sheet and suspension history -- and his reputation may earn him more than an average offender. Still, a fine seems more likely than a suspension, especially in the playoffs.

don't know how the officials missed this but nice to know the guy attacked wasn't seriously impacted
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The guy should sit for the rest of the series at least. They sat Kadri of the Leafs for a cross check to the head, this is just as bad IMO. Plus, to make it worse, was more of a cheap shot. The victim was on his knees oblivious to the little piss ant Marchand. No dirtier play in my mind. If he doesn't sit, it is wrong and Kadri needs to make it known that he was screwed.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

since the officials did nothing, it is up to Columbus to make things right

not saying cheap shot him, but definitely hit him, often, by everyone who is in his general area ... maybe dust off a play from the old Broad Street Bullies playbook

Dave Schultz and Bob Kelly talked about it during an interview years ago ... they would run a play where an apparent errant pass would go to the opposing player targeted right as Schultz and Kelly converged to lay waste to him ... when asked why they didn't just fight the player, Schultz said this was their method of dealing justice without a sit in the penalty box because they couldn't afford to be in the box all game
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

CArolina goes up on the Isles 3-0. Never would have thunk this. They are looking really damn good. Backup goalie does it again. A Carolina v Columbus Eastern final would be really nice.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:CArolina goes up on the Isles 3-0. Never would have thunk this. They are looking really damn good. Backup goalie does it again. A Carolina v Columbus Eastern final would be really nice.

the west is a complete toss up ... San Jose has a 2-1 lead on Colorado, the Blues and Stars are tied 2-2

I'm rooting for all 4 Wild Cards ... which would mean the Carolina vs Columbus matchup you mentioned for the Eastern Conference Final and Dallas vs Colorado in the Western Final
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Boston busts up the Wild Card teams run

3 takeaways from the Bruins’ series-clinching win over the Blue Jackets

so now it is Bruins vs the Wild Card Hurricanes for the Eastern Conference Final .... the West is still up for grabs as both series heading into Game 7
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Hometown hero Maroon delivers Blues to hockey's Final Four with Game 7 winner

3 of the 4 finalists now set, San Jose vs Colorado Game 7 is tonight
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Friggin Blues. Kind of a sloppy, lucky, POS winning goal there. I will admit, they totally outplayed Dallas that game and I was surprised it went into OT, let alone 2. Got tired of hearing of how Maroon and Bishop were hometown, St Louis boys.

Not really sure about the other west semi. Don't really care about either team, just hope they can knock off St Louis.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Sharks reach Western Conference Final

so now the final 4 is set :

Carolina Hurricanes vs Boston Bruins in the East - Game 1 is tonight in Boston

St Louis Blues vs San Jose Sharks in the West - Game 1 is Saturday in San Jose
George Carlin