Final Mock Draft Roundup: CBS and Draftsite

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

CBS Sports 7 round mock: Bears Picks

This was sort of a compilation draft by the staff at CBS Sports.

87 RB Miles Sanders, Penn State
126 OLB Jalen Jelks, Oregon
162 ILB T.J. Edwards, Wisconsin
222 CB Hamp Cheevers, Boston College
238 CB Ugochukwu Amadi, Oregon

Overall analysis:

It was hard to determine who went before/after the Bears made their picks because this was done on a team basis.

Again, like I said yesterday, I don’t think Sanders is there, but it’s not impossible.

Jelks is player that gets mocked to the Bears in a lot of drafts. He’s more physical than his slight frame would suggest. His overall measurables are average and his production isn’t all that impressive. I like his teammate Justin Hollins better as a developmental prospect, and based on what I could tell, he was still available at 126.

I don’t understand the Edwards pick, unless people are expecting Trevathan to leave after the season. He isn't fast or splashy, but he knows how to play, and he’d be decent depth even though the Bears appear to be fine there. At times he doesn’t look natural at LB, but he’s still learning after playing QB in high school.

Cheevers isn’t a draftable player IMO. He’s short, light, and slow. He’s a feisty guy though that doesn’t have a lot of quit in him. But, the Bears would be bettered served taking a developmental offensive lineman here. Cheevers makes more sense as a UDFA/practice squad player.

Amadi is a better pick than Cheevers and results in the Cheevers pick making even less sense. Amadi was a 4 star recruit out of Nashville that had pretty good production at Oregon (with 4 INT’s returned for touchdown). He’s a little undersized but was highly respected and has some upside as a slot corner and even a sub-package safety. He also offers some value on special teams as a punt returner.

I like the first pick and the last one, but the rest don’t make sense to me.

DJ Boyer’s 7 round mock: Bears Picks

DJ Boyer from draftsite.com put together this…thing. Like the CBS draft, it was team specific.

87 Beau Benzschawel OG Wisconsin 6' 6" 305
126 David Dowell* S Michigan State 6' 0" 190
162 Montre Hartage CB Northwestern 5' 11" 195
222 Miles Boykin* WR Notre Dame 6' 4" 220
238 Porter Gustin OLB USC 6' 5" 255

Overall analysis:

Boyer is one of the few guys that doesn’t have the Bears drafting a RB. While not out of the realm of possibility, is incredibly unlikely. He does have Mattison and Dexter Williams going undrafted, so I’m assuming the assumption is that the Bears would grab one of those guys after the draft.

Benzschawel is a massive reach in round 3. He’s built like a tackle without the necessary agility and overall length. Inside he’s build works against him and not just not powerful enough. He’s best trait is that he’s fundamentally sound.

Dowell is a terrible tackler who lacks physicality. I don’t even have him as a draftable player.

Hartage is a decent developmental pick. He knows how to play, has ball skills, and is a willing tackler. Probably the only pick in this mock that I can make sense of.

I like the Boykin pick well enough… but while the previous picks have been incredible reaches, this one is too low. The Bears also have a bit of a deep WR room already and he’s too similar to both Robinson and Wims…unless maybe the thought is that he’d grow into a TE. They have shown interest, so even if I wouldn’t completely understand it, I wouldn’t be surprised. I doubt he lasts that long though.

Gustin has a great motor and by all accounts has an intense work ethic, but none of that has resulted in production. He’s also perpetually injured. Not the worst pick you could make in the 7th round, but another head scratcher in a draft full of them.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

That first mock is odd.

Sanders is okay, though I remain thoroughly unconvinced the Bears take a RB before Saturday. Jelks looks like he might project into the kind of player Roy Roberston-Harris has become. I am fine with that, but not in Round 4 (and certainly not if Hollins was still available). Edwards is out of place both because Iyiegbuniwe was drafted last year and because Edwards' pro day results suggest he's a slower, less athletic Nick Kwiatkoski, which does not fit the Pace drafting profile. Amadi is better than Cheevers (who I likewise consider UDFA caliber).

That Boyer draft isn't even worth mentioning. My dead gramma could have done a better job than that mess.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: