Released in '16, back in '19? // Robbie Gould talk

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Barth misses another kick tonight, he'll be released.
I don't know...can he play Nose, or safety, or CB, LB?.....just sayin'.
docc
Head Coach

Barph needs to go..

Call Robbie if he will sign..
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

F**k this guy. I hate him already.

Missing a short FG and botching an onside kick, are you kidding me??

Get him the hell out of here. And take our punter with his 39.4 yard average with him. There has to better players available.

Fox is pulling another Lovie here and bringing back loyal players who used to play for him but now have no business playing professional football anymore.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

What did we do with the money we saved by letting Gould go? Anything? If Pace brought in Barph on Fox's recommendation, he needs to stop listening to him. I really hope that the tail isn't starting to wag the dog here. Pace will find himself out of a job pretty fast.
UOK
Site Admin

Pace isn't going anywhere. Especially over a kicker.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Pace isn't going anywhere. Especially over a kicker.

How quickly we forget that Gould missed 25% of his final 12 field goal attempts last year.

I think moving on from Gould was a football decision. Now....Barth my not turn out to be the correct choice for a replacement, but kickers are a strange - strange animal.
Pagan
MVP

DaDitka wrote:
UOK wrote:Pace isn't going anywhere. Especially over a kicker.

How quickly we forget that Gould missed 25% of his final 12 field goal attempts last year.

I think moving on from Gould was a football decision. Now....Barth my not turn out to be the correct choice for a replacement, but kickers are a strange - strange animal.
Yep.

This is another area that's a potential trigger trap for us fans.

Love what Robbie did for this team... like Urlacher, but then realize that moves like this are part of the game & let it go. It's a non issue.
UOK
Site Admin

Barth is also cheap. Kickers are nothing. Bears could work out a handful of them a week if they wanted to.

They are a weird, elite group of those who find work circulating among the NFL, and the 35-40 of them that are employed are even then rarely given untouchable status. Robbie did a lot of off-the-field stuff to kind of cement himself as a fixture, but the guy was making way too much money to be a coin flip.

Barth is getting paid chicken shit and they could cut his ass on a whim. He missed a 31 yarder the other night, sure, but it doesn't bother me. Why? Because if he misses another one, chances are good they'll dump him.
ysleblanc
MVP

UOK wrote:Barth is also cheap. Kickers are nothing. Bears could work out a handful of them a week if they wanted to.

They are a weird, elite group of those who find work circulating among the NFL, and the 35-40 of them that are employed are even then rarely given untouchable status. Robbie did a lot of off-the-field stuff to kind of cement himself as a fixture, but the guy was making way too much money to be a coin flip.

Barth is getting paid chicken shit and they could cut his ass on a whim. He missed a 31 yarder the other night, sure, but it doesn't bother me. Why? Because if he misses another one, chances are good they'll dump him.

The thing that pisses me off is, he's known as being very good in short kicks, very accurate and missed a chip shot.

I agree with the saving money part, as long as they use it to upgrade other parts, especially RT. The first attempt wasn't a good one...
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bumped for review and discussion.

We all had mixed feelings when Gould was cut. We all hoped the Bears had a plan of succession.

What we got was placekicker hell, and Gould could have done the neener neener fuck you to the team. Instead, he wants to come back based on recent news stories.

I say the Bears should get him if possible.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:Bumped for review and discussion.

We all had mixed feelings when Gould was cut. We all hoped the Bears had a plan of succession.

What we got was placekicker hell, and Gould could have done the neener neener fuck you to the team. Instead, he wants to come back based on recent news stories.

I say the Bears should get him if possible.
I realize that we are hard up for a kicker, but he would have to take a hometown discount. He wants to be back here, make him pay for it. We are still paying that fuckstick Parkey, so we can't go out and blow $5M on another kicker.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That would be Pace admitting he made a mistake. Not really seeing that happening.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:That would be Pace admitting he made a mistake. Not really seeing that happening.
If the 9ers offered us Gould for a 5th round pick, Pace would jump on that so fast, it would make our heads spin. And then pay him $5M/year.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:That would be Pace admitting he made a mistake. Not really seeing that happening.
Pace has never really been afraid of admitting and rectifying a mistake.

There's some complexity to bringing Gould back, but the least of it is Pace's ego.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

an article from back in January ... lets us relive misery on 2 fronts :

John Fox is Somehow Still Screwing the Bears as Robbie Gold Shines With the 49ers
Former Chicago Bears head coach John Fox's decisions are still affecting the Bears for the worse. Despite being fired after last season, the ESPN analyst's decision to let go of kicker ​Robbie Gould go is still looming over the franchise.

Last night's ​NFC Wild Card matchup between the Chicago Bears and Philadelphia Eagles, of course, came down to a last-minute field goal. And that led to the ​doink heard around the world.

Bears kicker ​Cody Parkey managed to hit both the upright and the crossbar, resulting in an epic, agonizing missed field goal and a devastating 16-15 loss for Chicago. The entire game cannot be blamed on Parkey's mistakes, but Gould would have undoubtedly made a difference. The numbers simply don't lie.

Kicking often comes down to mentality. ​Parkey's past miscues clearly got in his head and clearly affected how he approached this game-deciding kick. The fact that as a team the Bears have missed 19 field goals since cutting Gould is completely dumbfounding. Gould, however, has been sensational.
whether it is Gould returning or someone else shining, the Bears have to find a way to correct the morass of a kicking game since Gould left
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I stand by what I said back then. I was ready for him to go. He was missing clutch kicks.

Having said that, this is a different team now, and I'd be fine with him returning.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I give Pace a pass on this. Wasn't Robbie heading up the NFLPA or something and saying some things to the media that was ruffling the owners feathers a bit? I could be wrong. But he was definitely slumping and needed a new start. Pace was a rookie who probably wasn't even allowed to select his first HC. I'm pretty sure between Fox and Robbie's cap hit, it seemed like the thing to do. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I can only hope he's grown into his role enough to understand his mistakes and move forward with some lessons learned.
wab
Mod

AZ_Bearfan wrote:I give Pace a pass on this. Wasn't Robbie heading up the NFLPA or something and saying some things to the media that was ruffling the owners feathers a bit? I could be wrong. But he was definitely slumping and needed a new start. Pace was a rookie who probably wasn't even allowed to select his first HC. I'm pretty sure between Fox and Robbie's cap hit, it seemed like the thing to do. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I can only hope he's grown into his role enough to understand his mistakes and move forward with some lessons learned.
Fox was an old school coach that didn't care much for dissension in the ranks. Gould's position in the NFLPA very much ruffled the feathers of the head coach.

That, coupled with his production relative to his cape hit, plus his age sort of forced Pace's hand. I thought it was the right move at the time because he was missing clutch kicks and making a lot of money. I still think it was the right call.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote:I stand by what I said back then. I was ready for him to go. He was missing clutch kicks ...
AZ_Bearfan wrote:I give Pace a pass on this. ... he was definitely slumping and needed a new start. Pace was a rookie who probably wasn't even allowed to select his first HC. I'm pretty sure between Fox and Robbie's cap hit, it seemed like the thing to do. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I can only hope he's grown into his role enough to understand his mistakes and move forward with some lessons learned.
Totally agreed. I can't find the article right now but even Gould admitted that he needed a change of scenery at the time.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pace made this work. It would be a very popular move with the fan base.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pace made this work. It would be a very popular move with the fan base.
I would be very surprised, honestly.

Ignoring the money aspect (which has to factor in), that's an awful lot of cap space tied up in the kicker spot, due to Parkey's cap hit this year.

I agree it would be popular with the fan base, but I'm not sure that makes it the right thing to do.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

note in regards to thread title - Gould was actually released in 2016
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Dunno where I got 2012 from. Still waking up I guess.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Bad Flanders wrote:dumb...

A couple bad kicking games in years has just become a guarantee of bad kicking at least a couple times a year.
I would just like to point out that everyone should listen to me all the time! ;)
Bad Flanders
MVP

And I stand by Robbie's stats also. He didn't suck, he sucked for Robbie Gould, which still made him better than all but the most consistent kickers.

2015, his last year here, he kicked 33 field goals that year - 4th in the league. He kicked 7 longer than 50 yards - FIRST in the league.
Yes, his average was 84.6% in 2015, below his career avg with the Bears of 85.4%. But he was still working back from a major injury in 2014.

Perspective - Kevin Butler's best year EVER was 85 when he was 83.8%!

Gould's worst year was 2014, he was injured, he made 9 out of 12 for 75%... Still better than Butler's CAREER avg of 73.4%.

Except for Mike Nugent hitting 4 for 4, we haven't had ONE kicker top 75% since Gould left and that was Gould's worst mark.

And they had money when they cut him, yeah he was the second highest paid kicker but the money was there. It WAS a bad call at the time and it's a bad call to not try everything to get him back here to finish it all up. Kicking and punting can affect games drastically and the highest paid players in those positions make next to nothing compared to other positions, it's a bargain to invest more money there for the best players.

The biggest thing I worry about is that everyone said Lynch made Pace look bad in the trade for #2 (where we got Mitch) and in hindsight everyone says it's now Lynch that looks bad. I'm not sure Lynch is willing to risk his rep more by letting Gould go and having the Niners lose games the way the Bears lost games last year.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

11/13/2005 - Robbie Gould's wind blown wild assed miss that took a hard right turn not long after leaving his foot ... Cedric Butthead Benson getting hurt ... Nathan Vasher's 108 yard missed FG return ... 4 fumbled punts by Bobby Wade (3 recovered by the 49ers) which was more because he sucked than anything to do with the wind

that game had a bit of everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71lVuGJWimY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I wouldn't say Bobby Wade sucked.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I wouldn't say Bobby Wade sucked.

he did as a punt returner which was the main reason he got cut
George Carlin
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'll always remember that game. I watched it in Maui and didn't realize how many Hawaiians are 49er fans. There were about 35 giant dudes in 49ers jerseys and me in my Urlacher jersey. Those guys were all so friendly and we had a blast watching that game in those crazy windy conditions.
Bad Flanders
MVP

the kick during that windy game is almost unbelievable without the video... the angle it turned doesn't seem possible
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I wouldn't say Bobby Wade sucked.
I wouldn't either. A side benefit of that 49'ers game hopefully was the drafting of Devin Hester in 2006.