R4, P24: WR Riley Ridley, WR - Georgia

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

6'1" 199 lbs

Pre-Draft Analysis
Ridley has average size, long arms and big hands while being a savvy route runner. He has strong hands in traffic, shows good body control when adjusting to the ball and commits very few focus drops. He isn't, however, much of a big-play threat.

mods update as you see fit
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Daniel Jeremiah was raving about this pick... called him the best route runner in this draft (just like Anthony Miller last year) and said that he had Riley as a top 50 player.

The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Georgia just couldn't get Ridley the ball last year. He only had 60 targets but 43 receptions. He led the SEC in contested catch completion percentage.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I dunno.
He sounds like a solid value at late 4, but also like a major duplicate. He's pretty much the same guy as Miller and that gives the Bears 4/6 receivers who aren't fast in an offense that seems to value speed. What situations are going to get him on the field and what is he going to contribute that they don't already have? Is he going to be the #5 receiver? If he's #4, then the Bears paid Patterson 5M to be a KR in a league that's minimizing that as fast as possible?
Last edited by Moriarty on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Ridley is solid and pretty good value where he was taken. Potentially viewed as a long-term replacement for ARob.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BR0D1E86
MVP

From what I can gather it’s excellent value if not the greatest need. I’m always a bpa guy though so I’m on board.

I’m not sure everything in this offense is focused on speed, it appears to be focused on shiftiness, with a high value on slot receiver types. Hill in KC I think skews everyone’s opinion of what we want in a receiver for this offense because he’s such a freak of nature.

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 53088?s=20

https://twitter.com/ChiefBearsFan/statu ... 52736?s=20

With limited draft capital we still ended up with two guys who were basically universally graded at 2nd round players.
Last edited by BR0D1E86 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:Also, insert barf emoji...

https://twitter.com/MattEurich/status/1 ... 96931?s=20
that's just fucking wild.
G08
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:Also, insert barf emoji...

https://twitter.com/MattEurich/status/1 ... 96931?s=20
Done and done because I felt that feeling: :puke:

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Ridley with TO and Ocho.
https://youtu.be/jL9IvSXoFH4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

What a great pick. Just straight stole a top 10 WR in this draft in the 4th round. I'll guess he allows the Bears to move on from ARob before that contract reaches its end, maybe they can trade him. But this guy is ARobs shadow in this O, go up and get it posession WR.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

KhalilSackDaddy wrote:What a great pick. Just straight stole a top 10 WR in this draft in the 4th round. I'll guess he allows the Bears to move on from ARob before that contract reaches its end, maybe they can trade him. But this guy is ARobs shadow in this O, go up and get it posession WR.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

From a roster standpoint, this doesn’t make a lot of sense. From a value standpoint, I can see where he was BPA. Probably means the end of Wims though.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:
KhalilSackDaddy wrote:What a great pick. Just straight stole a top 10 WR in this draft in the 4th round. I'll guess he allows the Bears to move on from ARob before that contract reaches its end, maybe they can trade him. But this guy is ARobs shadow in this O, go up and get it posession WR.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. :-P
I'm always ahead of myself and it's just my opinion and this all assumes he takes to the NFL, as well as Wimms. Cap is going to be an issue in a short future, problem with good teams is they cannot keep everyone; and the current draft is the best way to replace players to avoid cap issues in the next 1 to 2 years.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:From a roster standpoint, this doesn’t make a lot of sense. From a value standpoint, I can see where he was BPA. Probably means the end of Wims though.
That's what I was thinking. A bit of a head scratcher, although if somebody gets hurt in camp, then it's the obvious cover up.

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:From a roster standpoint, this doesn’t make a lot of sense. From a value standpoint, I can see where he was BPA. Probably means the end of Wims though.
That's what I was thinking. A bit of a head scratcher, although if somebody gets hurt in camp, then it's the obvious cover up.
Maybe Wims finally makes the long awaited move to TE?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:I dunno.
He sounds like a solid value at late 4, but also like a major duplicate. He's pretty much the same guy as Miller and that gives the Bears 4/6 receivers who aren't fast in an offense that seems to value speed. What situations are going to get him on the field and what is he going to contribute that they don't already have? Is he going to be the #5 receiver? If he's #4, then the Bears paid Patterson 5M to be a KR in a league that's minimizing that as fast as possible?
This team has plenty of speed and the WR's are plenty fast.

Give me guys that run routes, move the chains and have decent speed all day long vs speed burners with poor routes and average hands all day long.

If you are stuck on 40 times he ran 4.46 and 4.52 at his pro day. Plenty fast.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
This.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
This.
If he can learn to block he seems freakishly big for a WR.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:

Give me guys that run routes, move the chains and have decent speed all day long vs speed burners with poor routes and average hands all day long.

Where are you finding that?
Draft Scout is normally incredibly comprehensive and they have no Pro Day metrics for him.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

Draft Scout is normally incredibly comprehensive and they have no Pro Day metrics for him.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/A ... 130337272/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

During Georgia's Pro Day, wide receiver Riley Ridley chose not to test, instead choosing to stand pat on his numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine. Three weeks ago, the 6-foot-1 200-pound wide receiver ran an official 40-yard dash time of 4.58 sessions, turned in a vertical leap of 30.5 inches, and ran the 20-yard shuttle in 4.28. Speaking to reporters Wednesday, Ridley said that he had no plans to test again.

"I did not consider running the 40," Ridley said. "I felt what I put out at the combine is what I put out and I was happy about it.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/A ... 130337272/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

During Georgia's Pro Day, wide receiver Riley Ridley chose not to test, instead choosing to stand pat on his numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine. Three weeks ago, the 6-foot-1 200-pound wide receiver ran an official 40-yard dash time of 4.58 sessions, turned in a vertical leap of 30.5 inches, and ran the 20-yard shuttle in 4.28. Speaking to reporters Wednesday, Ridley said that he had no plans to test again.

"I did not consider running the 40," Ridley said. "I felt what I put out at the combine is what I put out and I was happy about it.
Sorry was looking at projected. They had it in the same article talking about the combine 40 I was reading but I didn't gather it was projected..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
This.
If he can learn to block he seems freakishly big for a WR.
Imagine Biscuit in the shotgun formation with 3 wide and Wims as a TE with Montgomery in the backfield. Who covers Wims? Have fun defending that.

This offense is going to be scary.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Is he big enough to play TE? I just saw 6'4 220 unless he's bulked up.
wab
Mod

I don’t know if he can play TE, I just hope Ridley didn’t cost Wims a roster spot.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

wab wrote:I don’t know if he can play TE, I just hope Ridley didn’t cost Wims a roster spot.
I'm guessing he can probably be on PS again or just be like Kevin White last year and healthy scratch every week
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

This pick makes sense to me because, statistically, he's the type of receiver Mitch likes. Smaller with nice routes.

In his year as starter at North Carolina, his go to was Ryan Switzer. 5'8" 180lbs.

His rookie year, his go to was Kendall Wright. 5'10" 185lbs.(Granted, that year he was the only wideout to play all 16 games)

This past year, 5'8" 160lbs Turbo Garbriel led wideouts in catches. Only Tarik had more than him.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

It was not a position I thought we needed to focus on, so it left me scratching my head. I like what I see on tape, and I love a big guy with wide catch radius that runs good routes. In the end a team is always benefited by a good possession WR like that. When he gets to contribute is murky to me.

Of those of you mentioning the possibility of Wims moving to TE, is he physically capable of handling a move like that in your opinions?
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

This pick puzzled me too. I understand he was the "best on the board by far" according to Pace. But it seems like with our depth at WR and our lack of picks it might have been prudent to trade down for a couple of extra picks and get some safety, TE, or OL help instead.
wab
Mod

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:This pick puzzled me too. I understand he was the "best on the board by far" according to Pace. But it seems like with our depth at WR and our lack of picks it might have been prudent to trade down for a couple of extra picks and get some safety, TE, or OL help instead.
Looking at the remainder of R4 and all of R5, I can honestly say there wasn't a player available that was a better value than Ridley. Maybe Deionte Thompson. But there wasn't an offensive lineman I would have taken. As far as TE goes, Raymond was my highest rated TE at that point and the Bears got him as a UDFA.

This really was a BPA situation. Most had Ridley as a mid 2nd to early 3rd.