R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I think the Bears had Montgomery as their top rated RB out of Jacobs, Sanders, and Henderson. Once those guys were off the board Pace did what he had to do to make sure he got him. I don't think it was really him freaking out, just making sure he got his top rated player.

Pace even said to Montgomery "I told you this would happen".
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
wab
Mod

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
Basically the Bears needed a RB that didn't make the offense predictable when he was on the field. Defenses had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen when Howard was in the game. Howard's limitations in the passing game is why Mizzell got so many snaps.

Even though his speed is a bit limited, Mongomery will let the Bears run 100% of their offense 100% of the time.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
Montgomery WAS my top choice for the bears, and I agree that he is an excellent fit in this offense. That said, he was a third round pick for a reason. He's not going to be Saquan Barkley or Ezekial Elliot, nor probably even Kareem Hunt, but all he has to do is be effective enough to force teams to defend the whole field all the time.

I can see him getting 1000 yards on the ground and another 400 in receiving this year - which is enough to get the job done. (very comparable to Matt Forte, when I think about it)
wab
Mod

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:
Montgomery WAS my top choice for the bears, and I agree that he is an excellent fit in this offense. That said, he was a third round pick for a reason. He's not going to be Saquan Barkley or Ezekial Elliot, nor probably even Kareem Hunt, but all he has to do is be effective enough to force teams to defend the whole field all the time.

I can see him getting 1000 yards on the ground and another 400 in receiving this year - which is enough to get the job done. (very comparable to Matt Forte, when I think about it)
I think he's a better prospect than Hunt was. Early on in the process Montgomery was being talked about as a 1st round prospect. His lack of top end speed and other overall draft factors is what contributed to him dropping to the 3rd.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:
Basically the Bears needed a RB that didn't make the offense predictable when he was on the field. Defenses had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen when Howard was in the game. Howard's limitations in the passing game is why Mizzell got so many snaps.

Even though his speed is a bit limited, Mongomery will let the Bears run 100% of their offense 100% of the time.
Being able to run the entire offense without defenses knowing what we are doing is invaluable. It brings more to the table than simply his measurables in my eyes.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

OK guys you all NEED to watch this one. I've been scouring the internet for good video compilation and analysis of our players. This is simply the best video compilation on Montgomery I have seen yet. While we all know his top end speed isn't great, you'll see in this his acceleration is excellent. His balance, ability to flip hips and change direction, and short burst are great. Toughness and Pass pro are also on display. Ya'll will like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=440TkHUJfv0&feature=youtu.be
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

Ding!

To add to your point, you're going to see a lot more 2 RB sets like Montgomery and Cohen, which is going to give defenses fits. You can trot that out and go to 5 wide. If the defense is in base or even nickel? Good luck!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:OK guys you all NEED to watch this one. I've been scouring the internet for good video compilation and analysis of our players. This is simply the best video compilation on Montgomery I have seen yet. While we all know his top end speed isn't great, you'll see in this his acceleration is excellent. His balance, ability to flip hips and change direction, and short burst are great. Toughness and Pass pro are also on display. Ya'll will like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=440TkHUJfv0&feature=youtu.be
That was a terrific breakdown - thank you for sharing.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

Ding!

To add to your point, you're going to see a lot more 2 RB sets like Montgomery and Cohen, which is going to give defenses fits. You can trot that out and go to 5 wide. If the defense is in base or even nickel? Good luck!
I'm really anxious to see that offensive set....and here's hoping that Mitch is lights out in his 2nd year in the offense. I want him to be a world beater and be considered as one of the elite QB's in the game. Having Montgomery and Cohen as outlets in the passing game should help.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Buffaloaf
Rookie

Man, the more I watch and read about this guy, the more pumped I am to watch him play. He's such a high character guy that I just want to see him succeed.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:
G08 wrote:David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

Impressive, impressive kid.
I covered that game. I asked Montgomery afterwards what is it that makes him so tough to tackle the first or second time someone hits him. His response was something to the time of if there was an answer to that question, defenders would be able to tackle him.
How's it feel to have a Cyclone be the premiere pick of the Bears?
To be honest, I shrilled like a school girl. My wife can confirm that. Not because the Bears drafted a Cyclone, and not because I wanted the Bears to draft him. But because the Bears drafted someone who is a good fit in the offense who happened to be a Cyclone. I was on cloud nine about how it all became together.

Then some doubt did start to set in. David Montgomery is my all-time favorite Cyclone. More than Fred Hoiberg (I know, probably not a good name to bring up) and it's not even close. What if DM doesn't work out for the Bears? I would hate to love DM the Cyclone but be frustrated with DM the Bear.

It hasn't stopped me from already ordering a Montgomery jersey. Just going to enjoy the ride.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
G08
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:
UOK wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:
G08 wrote:David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

Impressive, impressive kid.
I covered that game. I asked Montgomery afterwards what is it that makes him so tough to tackle the first or second time someone hits him. His response was something to the time of if there was an answer to that question, defenders would be able to tackle him.
How's it feel to have a Cyclone be the premiere pick of the Bears?
To be honest, I shrilled like a school girl. My wife can confirm that. Not because the Bears drafted a Cyclone, and not because I wanted the Bears to draft him. But because the Bears drafted someone who is a good fit in the offense who happened to be a Cyclone. I was on cloud nine about how it all became together.

Then some doubt did start to set in. David Montgomery is my all-time favorite Cyclone. More than Fred Hoiberg (I know, probably not a good name to bring up) and it's not even close. What if DM doesn't work out for the Bears? I would hate to love DM the Cyclone but be frustrated with DM the Bear.

It hasn't stopped me from already ordering a Montgomery jersey. Just going to enjoy the ride.
My mental image:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: My mental image:

Spot on, sir. Arm motions and all.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Umbali
MVP

Buffaloaf wrote:
Man, the more I watch and read about this guy, the more pumped I am to watch him play. He's such a high character guy that I just want to see him succeed.
Ok WOW! I rarely watch those types of interviews etc...but that blew me away. Good kid. Very happy he is a Bear.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I just heard a story about him: it was 2am on a weekend and Montgomery calls one of his coaches. The coach is freaking out and answers his phone prepared to hear the worst. Instead? Montgomery asks Coach for the password to get into the film room.

This dude... I'm in love.
:rofl: That's awesome.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

PFF tape review of David Montgomery.

This guy is going to be good.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:PFF tape review of David Montgomery.

This guy is going to be good.
I really like the McCoy comp.
wab
Mod

Looking back at all the pre-draft threads, there was little to no talk about this kid here because we all thought he'd be gone. Kinda crazy that the Bears got arguably the best back in the draft in the 3rd round.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Didn't know anything about this kid prior to the draft but the more I watch the more I love this pick. Here's a great interview he did incase anyone else hasnt seen it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXuf-1y5MI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Looking back at all the pre-draft threads, there was little to no talk about this kid here because we all thought he'd be gone. Kinda crazy that the Bears got arguably the best back in the draft in the 3rd round.
Yeah I had him as the 3rd best top of the second. I think most has him similarly graded.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:Looking back at all the pre-draft threads, there was little to no talk about this kid here because we all thought he'd be gone. Kinda crazy that the Bears got arguably the best back in the draft in the 3rd round.
Yeah I had him as the 3rd best top of the second. I think most has him similarly graded.
I had him going in the top of the 2nd. After Jacobs and just before Sanders.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I think G08 and I had a mini discussion on him and how I wasn't a fan because of his long speed. After the draft and reading much more about him, I'm pretty excited to see what he can do in the offense.
Never Die Easy
UOK
Site Admin

Monty in uniform:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I was so focused on Miles Sanders that I didn't do enough to look at Montgomery. But after reading about him and watching YouTubes I'm glad he's here.

Run DMC (Davis, Montgomery and Cohen) is going to be fun to watch.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Yeah, I was focused on Sanders as well but when I would mess around with draft sims it was usually Mongomery or Sanders that was available when I would pick so I saw a lot of Montgomery's highlights as well... I thought both would be great backs but once the combine came along I was sold on Sanders.

What I didn't do was watch much if any interviews with the players until we drafted him and when you listen to Montgomery it's really easy to root for him. He just projects confidence and has a calming vibe about him. The fact his dad got him into watching Payton videos is pretty cool as well because you can see a little of Sweetness in his highlight reels. It'll be fun watching him over the next 5+ years!

I wish he would change his number though LOL... Seeing another RB with that number just gives me flashbacks to Ben$on. Hopefully, he can do so well I forget about who wore that number before him. ;)
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Knuckles wrote:Yeah, I was focused on Sanders as well but when I would mess around with draft sims it was usually Mongomery or Sanders that was available when I would pick so I saw a lot of Montgomery's highlights as well... I thought both would be great backs but once the combine came along I was sold on Sanders.

What I didn't do was watch much if any interviews with the players until we drafted him and when you listen to Montgomery it's really easy to root for him. He just projects confidence and has a calming vibe about him. The fact his dad got him into watching Payton videos is pretty cool as well because you can see a little of Sweetness in his highlight reels. It'll be fun watching him over the next 5+ years!

I wish he would change his number though LOL... Seeing another RB with that number just gives me flashbacks to Ben$on. Hopefully, he can do so well I forget about who wore that number before him. ;)
I don't think anyone in the history of the Bears that has worn #32 has really amounted to anything - so here's hoping to Montgomery changing that trend.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

DaSuperfan wrote:
Knuckles wrote:Yeah, I was focused on Sanders as well but when I would mess around with draft sims it was usually Mongomery or Sanders that was available when I would pick so I saw a lot of Montgomery's highlights as well... I thought both would be great backs but once the combine came along I was sold on Sanders.

I don't think anyone in the history of the Bears that has worn #32 has really amounted to anything - so here's hoping to Montgomery changing that trend.
Stares in Johnny Lujack