2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Next year the draft is in Las Vegas, a few of my buddies are going to make the trip to attend. Is anyone planning on going?
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

I went last year and it honestly wasn't really that fun. But I was surrounded by Cowboys fans.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:I went last year and it honestly wasn't really that fun. But I was surrounded by Cowboys fans.
Was it not fun just because it was all Cowboys fans? Or was it also other factors.
Never Die Easy
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:I went last year and it honestly wasn't really that fun. But I was surrounded by Cowboys fans.
Now imagine living your life surrounded by a vast majority of Viking fans!!!!!!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I have no desire to go to a draft event. I have watched with the same group of 5-6 friends every year since 1996. We have pizza and wings Thursday night; Go out for 1lb burgers Friday afternoon (though some of the group have dropped down to 3/4); Order in some kind of BBQ Friday night and leave on some time Saturday.

We have our annual draft contest. We usually have a hockey/golf/football video game tourney going on a 2nd TV all weekend long. We tend to stay up until ~4 am Thursday and Friday. And we have plenty of cold beer.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

When the draft was held in Chicago, it was neat to see the area they set up, but during the actual event I had zero interest in going. YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:When the draft was held in Chicago, it was neat to see the area they set up, but during the actual event I had zero interest in going. YMMV.
I went both years they had it in Chicago, I enjoyed it!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

DaSuperfan wrote:
Was it not fun just because it was all Cowboys fans? Or was it also other factors.
I think it's the same reason I like to watch games at home instead of at a sports bar. I like to concentrate on what's happening, research some of the picks I didn't know much about after they were made etc. It was a fun environment for sure, but it made it difficult to focus on the actual draft.

Plus...Cowboys fans.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:It was a fun environment for sure, but it made it difficult to focus on the actual draft.
Yeah, that's kind of where I was coming from too. I build spreadsheets for the draft, have all my resources around me as picks are announced, and I couldn't do any of that at the draft event.

Fun. Just not my cup of tea, especially for something I geek out on as much as I do the NFL draft.
wab wrote:Plus...Cowboys fans.
Which might as well be its own insult, amirite?
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Butkus34
Rookie

southdakbearfan wrote:
Exactly! I'm in North Dakota

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Umbali
MVP

Attending one would seem fun but if you are one of the ones standing the whole time or not in good seats it would suck. Also during a year with no 1st round pick would suck as well.

Overall I agree with most that I like watching it at home.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 pm
I lived in Texas for many years, being surrounded by Cowboy fans was the pits when they went on their SB streak in the early '90s. I used to kid my Vikings fan friend about their 4 SB losses, it never gets old.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:29 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 pm

I lived in Texas for many years, being surrounded by Cowboy fans was the pits when they went on their SB streak in the early '90s. I used to kid my Vikings fan friend about their 4 SB losses, it never gets old.
there is always the empty superbowl trophy case joke to taunt them with. But that single superbowl is looking pretty lonely and I would like to see a couple more in my lifetime.
2BigCats2
Rookie

DaSuperfan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:52 pm Next year the draft is in Las Vegas, a few of my buddies are going to make the trip to attend. Is anyone planning on going?...lol lol as a Raiders fan i would LOVE for you Bears fans to come to the home of the Silver&Black to see the 1st rd pick you guys gave us ...AGAIN!!!...lol the Bears the team that keeps on giving
EricTighe
MVP

Let the Raiders enjoy it. Neither of the guys they get will be in the Hall of Fame at the end of there career.

As far as the draft goes nothing like being at home with a few cases of beer and Brawts on the grill. While my son and I bitch at the TV for only us to hear. Good TImes.
G08
Hall of Famer

EricTighe
MVP

2 seconds is better than moving up again and wasting another pick. Hope Pace gets the message this year.

Do not move up and pick the best available players.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

What if the best available gets picked at 36 though. Then you'll have wished you moved up!
G08
Hall of Famer

Matt Miller wrote:Chicago Bears — The Bears don't own a first-rounder after trading for linebacker Khalil Mack in 2018 but do have two selections in the second round: picks No. 43 and 50 overall. Tight end, offensive line and cornerback were listed as the team's biggest needs from a scouting source with the club. Quarterback was not mentioned as a priority.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm
Matt Miller wrote:Chicago Bears — The Bears don't own a first-rounder after trading for linebacker Khalil Mack in 2018 but do have two selections in the second round: picks No. 43 and 50 overall. Tight end, offensive line and cornerback were listed as the team's biggest needs from a scouting source with the club. Quarterback was not mentioned as a priority.
Word
Z Bear
MVP

Hmm...listing CB tells me they are moving on from Amukamara. Even so, you still have Fuller and Tolliver on the outside, then Skrine and Shelly at slot. Toss in the practice squad guys and you already have a fairly crowded CB room. I think S is a bigger need than CB, unless they are counting on bringing Bush and Ha-Ha back. Obviously free agency will change things and Pace likes to fill holes with vets and draft BPA....but I would rank the Bears' needs as:

1) RG
2) SS
3) ILB
4) OT
5) TE
6) QB
7) CB
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 pm Hmm...listing CB tells me they are moving on from Amukamara. Even so, you still have Fuller and Tolliver on the outside, then Skrine and Shelly at slot. Toss in the practice squad guys and you already have a fairly crowded CB room. I think S is a bigger need than CB, unless they are counting on bringing Bush and Ha-Ha back. Obviously free agency will change things and Pace likes to fill holes with vets and draft BPA....but I would rank the Bears' needs as:

1) RG
2) SS
3) ILB
4) OT
5) TE
6) QB
7) CB
Pretty fair list. Those needs are definitely different though.

RG- Need a starter, but have no obvious FA re-signings.
SS- Need a starter and depth, but they have reasonable internal FA options.
ILB- Need a starter, but have really good internal FA options
OT- Need depth/development. Have reasonable starting answers for 2020.
TE- Need a starter or 2nd key rotation piece. Have some depth though
QB- Looking for a franchise singal caller. But will need depth too. Have a somewhat reasonable starter for 2020. The depth issue is bigger for 2020, but you'd be silly to ignore a possible answer to the long term franchise signal caller question, if available.
CB- Have some depth, but very green. Have starters, but may opt to let one go and create a need.

I'd also add OLB. They don't really have depth and one of their starters is set to be overpaid in 2020 and then is a FA.

So really just left with C, DL, and WR with no real obvious or immediate needs.
Z Bear
MVP

I was listing needs as of this very moment. ILB and S should move way down the list prior to the draft. Mocks are all crap shoots at this point since re-signings and free agency have not occurred yet. I am fairly certain Pace will sign a G plus bring back Kwit, KPL, and one of the safeties. Really, ILB will not be a need at all with Kwit, Roquan, KPL, and Iggy. Even if you sign Bush or Ha-Ha, S will still be a need as Jackson is currently the only one on the team. I did forget OLB, I would put that above CB too. I liked what I saw in Tolliver, plus you have Steven Denmark and Michael Joseph. I think there is enough talent and prospects in the building even if they do cut Amukamara (which they should).
UOK
Site Admin

Amukamara will most certainly be cut, but it's not impossible he doesn't return on a smaller deal.
UOK
Site Admin

From the Biggs piece this morning:

The Bears have two second-round draft picks. I believe they should spend both of those picks on offensive linemen. Do you agree, or should they go best player available? — @68shaubooker

I understand why you believe they should use their early picks on multiple offensive linemen. Let me explain why this is no way to think about a draft going into it. There’s no telling what kind of linemen are going to be on the board in the middle of Round 2. What if the good ones have been scooped up and the only linemen the Bears are looking at on their board have mid-round grades? Then what do they do? Overdraft players with two picks? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Elite offensive tackles go in the first round, so you’re probably not going to be able to find a Day 1 starter at that position midway through the second round. You could find a nice interior prospect, though, and the Bears certainly could use some young talent on the line. I think it will be among a handful of positions the team considers, with the highest grade winning out. They could use a tight end, wide receiver and a cornerback. That’s probably too early for a safety.
wab
Mod

This safety class is GAHHHHHHHHRBAGE
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am This safety class is GAHHHHHHHHRBAGE
Luckily there is a pretty strong class of competent, if unspectacular, SS options in free agency that look pretty appealing.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 am From the Biggs piece this morning:

The Bears have two second-round draft picks. I believe they should spend both of those picks on offensive linemen. Do you agree, or should they go best player available? — @68shaubooker

I understand why you believe they should use their early picks on multiple offensive linemen. Let me explain why this is no way to think about a draft going into it. There’s no telling what kind of linemen are going to be on the board in the middle of Round 2. What if the good ones have been scooped up and the only linemen the Bears are looking at on their board have mid-round grades? Then what do they do? Overdraft players with two picks? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Elite offensive tackles go in the first round, so you’re probably not going to be able to find a Day 1 starter at that position midway through the second round. You could find a nice interior prospect, though, and the Bears certainly could use some young talent on the line. I think it will be among a handful of positions the team considers, with the highest grade winning out. They could use a tight end, wide receiver and a cornerback. That’s probably too early for a safety.
I don’t think Biggs read the question. What a stupid asshole and another example of dismissive condescending know-it-all sports media that we have to tolerate in this town.

The guy just asked a hypothetical fuckin’ question. Yeah obviously if there’s a run on OL you don’t draft two OL. No shit Sherlock. Thank you so much.

Then he goes the route of TE (I WANT A GRONK TOOOOOO!), WR (We have ARob, Miller, Ridley and Wims.), and then CB.

OK Biggs, what kind of TE, WR, and CB do you think will be on the board? Let’s use that argument against your positions.

OK, CB is a legit point because Prince could be a cap casualty. However it was the OL that was a damn disaster last year. The guy asked a perfectly legit question and if we did draft 2 OL with those picks I would be ecstatic.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:00 pm
UOK wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 am From the Biggs piece this morning:

I don’t think Biggs read the question. What a stupid asshole and another example of dismissive condescending know-it-all sports media that we have to tolerate in this town.

The guy just asked a hypothetical fuckin’ question. Yeah obviously if there’s a run on OL you don’t draft two OL. No shit Sherlock. Thank you so much.

Then he goes the route of TE (I WANT A GRONK TOOOOOO!), WR (We have ARob, Miller, Ridley and Wims.), and then CB.

OK Biggs, what kind of TE, WR, and CB do you think will be on the board? Let’s use that argument against your positions.

OK, CB is a legit point because Prince could be a cap casualty. However it was the OL that was a damn disaster last year. The guy asked a perfectly legit question and if we did draft 2 OL with those picks I would be ecstatic.
Decaf breh.

I didn't take his response as condescending at all.
UOK
Site Admin

Saw a draft that has the Bears 2nd round picks as:

Prince Tega Wanogho, OT - Auburn

The Bears don't have a first round pick, but new O-line coach Juan Castillo will still get a high upside player who is tailor made for a zone blocking scheme. While Tega Wanogho is extremely raw, he has the athleticism, mobility and length to thrive in a zone scheme. In terms of raw tools, Wanogho has late first round talent but mechanical issues and a need to add more power make him require some development. That said, Wanogho does great in space and could make an impact immediately in this system. The ceiling stands out more than the floor, but it's the right situation for him to fall into.

Cole Kmet, TE - Notre Dame

NFL teams have shown they love two sport tight-ends and the best pass -catching TE's originally played ball...so naturally Kmet was a baseball first player until 2019. What? Kmet still has the same skillset as the basketball tight ends, with a prototype 6-5 250 frame and solid blocking skills for receiving TE. Especially one who is as new to playing football full time as Kmet is. Kmet comes from an ND system that churns out good tight end prospects and is arguably the top two way TE in a fairly down class at the top. Kmet runs his routes well, is a willing blocker and has some real upside given how new he is to year round football. He fills a huge need in Nagy's system and could become a dynamic chain mover if Trubisky can get the ball to him. Has proven he can play in the cold as well, important for Chicago.