Flacco on mentoring - not his job

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Broncos' Joe Flacco says it's not his job to mentor rookie QB Drew Lock
Denver Broncos quarterback Joe Flacco said he doesn't see mentoring rookie Drew Lock as part of his responsibility, even if he wants his fellow quarterback to do well.

"Listen, I have so many things to worry about. I'm trying to go out there and play the best football of my life,'' Flacco told reporters Monday following the Broncos' first day of organized team activities. "As far as a time constraint and all of that stuff, I'm not worried about developing guys or any of that. That is what it is. I hope he does it well. I don't look at that as my job. My job is to go win football games for this football team.''

Flacco, acquired in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens this offseason, said he's learning a new offense under new offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello and that he still considers himself the starter ahead of Lock, the former Missouri quarterback and 42nd overall pick in last month's NFL Draft.

"I hope (Lock) does learn from me because that means we're out there and we're slinging it around and having a lot of fun," Flacco said. "I'm not a selfish person, I don't think. There are times where you have to be selfish. Rich Scangarello does such a good job in those meeting rooms. Drew is going to learn from listening to him talk and then us getting the reps on the field and seeing how we all do it as a collective group of quarterbacks.''

I guess there are a couple of different ways to take this ... some of the articles in Baltimore alluded to Flacco not doing much to mentor his replacement on the Ratbirds ... some alleged that played into his trade availability

if you recall, Patrick Mahomes was very vocal in pointing out how much Alex Smith helped him understand things his rookie year, and gives him further credit for his performance once he became a starter .. Flacco does not appear to be in the Alex Smith school of mentoring
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

It's hard to mentor someone to take your job. Can't give him too much grief over that.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Umbali
MVP

in addition to that Flacco is learning a new offense as well and trying to save his career. I am sure he will help the rookie some, however it should not be his focus. The team can afford a coach for that.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Agreed on all points. He has to make himself the best he can be and he has quite a bit on his plate at the moment. I am sure he will talk to the backup and give pointers, but I thought that is what a QB coach was for.

Flacco maybe should not have been so blunt.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

could be most QB's feel the same way as Flacco but at least go through the motions by saying the proper canned responses ... so I guess Flacco should get a bonus for honesty
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Meh, reporters usually dig to get a response like this, then take great pleasure in publishing the "gotcha quote".

Unless it was agreed upon up front, or written in his contract, Flacco's job is to learn the system and do his best to win games.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

He gave the "behind closed doors" answer you'd give your coaches to a room full of cameras. I'm sure he's kicking himself for all the unnecessary attention from his sweet sound bites.
Umbali
MVP

you never want to say what he said to a reporter but it is probably what every started thinks. Just like how Big Ben got roasted for being pissy about them drafting a QB last year
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
skamanfrank
Journeyman

There's an interesting discussion between Ross Tucker and Dan Orlovsky about Flacco's comments on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast this week. Essentially Ross is of the viewpoint that it's not Flacco's job, Dan's view is that it is his job... but it doesn't stop at Drew Lock, he should be mentoring everyone.

http://www.rosstucker.com/podcasts/ross ... l-podcast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;