Chase for the Stanley Cup - stories and scores

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

WEll, since every team I have been rooting for is getting eliminated, I will try reverse psychology on myself. I will now root for the Blues and the Bruins and hope it works out the way the rest of the playoffs have.

While Carolina has dominated, the Bruins are a buzzsaw right now. The experience and talent on that team......there will be no sweep.

St Louis is playing really well at the moment for a team that really lacks a superstar IMO. Sharks are full of grizzled vets. Should be a good, physical series.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bruins up 2-0 on the Hurricanes

Blues and Stars tied 1-1

your reversal theory does not look like it is working for you
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

DAMN!!!!! I really don't see anyone beating the Bruins. I am not really anti-Bruin, but Carolina would be a great story.

Rask is playing some great hockey right now and the Bruins and a pretty deep team.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

While I am glad the Sharks won, the refs definitely missed the hand pass and the play should have been whistled dead. Unbelievable that 4 refs missed it. The only person that caught it was the Blues goalie.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

and the Blues are certainly not happy :

Blues incensed after no-call in OT loss to Sharks
ST. LOUIS -- The four officials huddled by the penalty box. Most of the San Jose Sharks had retreated to the dressing room, believing that Erik Karlsson's goal at 5:23 of overtime had given them a Game 3 win and a 2-1 series lead in the Western Conference finals. None of the St. Louis Blues had left the bench or the ice, believing there was absolutely no chance these officials could have missed the hand pass by the Sharks' Timo Meier that led to that goal.

But they did.

All four of them missed it, marking another blown call in a postseason that has been defined by refereeing controversies and officiating errors. Since the National Hockey League's video review process doesn't include hand passes that lead to goals, the Sharks were victorious. And the Blues were irate.

"I really didn't get an explanation other than, I guess, there's a different set of rules for two different teams, so I'm sure they'll lose some sleep tonight after looking at it," St. Louis captain Alex Pietrangelo said after the Blues' 5-4 loss to San Jose that left them standing on the bench dumbfounded -- at least the ones who weren't on the ice smashing their sticks in anger.
to me it was a blatant hand pass which could be clearly seen by everyone but this idiot officiating crew

and then to add to the mess, the big brother group overseeing replay had this to say had this to contribute to this story :
Could the War Room in Toronto have stepped in on a critical goal such as this?

"The way the rules are written, any chance there is to review, everything is reviewed that's reviewable," Whitmore said. "But as the rules currently stand, the play is non-reviewable."
so an obvious error leading to a game winning goal in overtime in a playoff game cannot be reviewed? seems like the same shit in the NFL playoffs with the Saints/Rams bullshit non-call

so why bother having replay if it cannot help on obviously incorrect game changing mistakes?
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Pietrangelo had his fuck ups so he should probably keep his yapper shut. He iced the puck on 2 separate occasions with less than 2 minutes to play. Both giving the Sharks a face off in their offensive zone. The second faceoff leading to the tying score. The Blues couldn't hit an open net. Their failures in regulation cannot be overlooked either. NHL needs to go to all goals being reviewable. It would not slow down the game at all. Obvious goals could be looked at and confirmed within seconds. An official could have that job, no need going to Toronto for that.

I love it though, it was the Blues!!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bruins in the final with a sweep

Blues and Sharks battling it out tied at 2-2
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The way the Bruins are playing, I don't see anyone beating them. They are on fire right now and Tuuka is in the zone. If Blues v Sharks goes 7, Bruins will be well rest for the Cup finals.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

finals are set - Blues vs Bruins

Blues advance to Stanley Cup Final after Game 6 blowout win over Sharks
The St. Louis Blues are off to the Stanley Cup Final after a 5-1, Game 6 win over the San Jose Sharks to win the Western Conference finals.

St. Louis will be making its first Stanley Cup Final since 1970 -- a tremendous achievement for a team that began the calendar year dead-last in the NHL in standings points.

For the first time this postseason, the San Jose Sharks avoided a Game 7. Unfortunately for them, that's because their season is now over.

The Sharks entered Tuesday's Game 6 of the Western Conference finals in a dire situation. Not only had they lost two straight games to fall into a 3-2 series hole heading back to St. Louis, but they also suffered some key losses to their lineup with injuries to Erik Karlsson, Tomas Hertl and Joe Pavelski.

They needed a tremendously gutsy effort to defeat a red-hot Blues team in Game 6 and extend their season, but they couldn't pull it off. Instead, it was the Blues punching their ticket to the Stanley Cup Final.
this should be an entertaining matchup

I pick Blues in 7
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I hope not Boris. Can't stand the Blues or their fans (at least the ones I know). It should be a good series. Both goalies are on their games. Both teams D have been pretty much dominant. I would like to think the Bruins have the better overall squad and that will take them to the Cup. I sure hope to hell it does.

So every team I rooted for got knocked out. I cannot do the reverse psychology shit and root for the Blues. I will be a full on Bruin fan for the next 2 weeks. After that, eff 'em.
UOK
Site Admin

What an ugly turd of a Stanley Cup Final. I support neither, and will simply refocus my interest on the Blackhawks getting rid of those awful huge white collars from their uniforms for the 2019/20 season.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Helluva game 1 if you were rooting for the Bruins. When the Blues went up 2-0, I thought what the F*CK!!!! Boston looks damn good. They were beating the Blues to all the loose pucks and just seemed so much faster.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Game 2 did not disappoint even if I was hoping the Bruins would go up 2-0. Lot of checking going on in game 2. Blues credited with 50 hits last night! They are trying to pound the Bruins into submission. Game 2 was a reversal of the first game. Blues out hustled the Bruins and put more pressure on Rask than the Bruins put on Binnington.

Bruins first line has been conspicuously silent so far.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

looks like this thing might go the full 7

Stanley Cup Final: Blues bounce back against Bruins with 4-2 win in Game 4

and the Bruins will be shy their team captain the rest of the way

Chara's jaw broken; Bruins eye options

the puck he took to the face looked painful for sure
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I don't know if this is showing toughness or insanity :

Bruins' Chara plays despite reported broken jaw

Blues won the game to go up 3-2 in the series :

Blues top Bruins 2-1 to win Game 5 after controversial late goal, take 3-2 series lead
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hockey players are badass (or not bright), puts into perspective with baseball players sit out due a knee bruise or strained oblique.

Chara came out and was physical as well.

This series going true to how the playoffs have went for me, I root for a team and they lose.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Boston forces Game 7 with comprehensive victory in St. Louis
It's down to one game.

Facing elimination in a hostile venue, the Boston Bruins put forth a professional performance to claim a 5-1 victory over the St. Louis Blues in Game 6 of the 2019 Stanley Cup Final on Sunday.

It wasn't easy, though. The Bruins grabbed an early lead through Brad Marchand and then held on as the Blues poured on the offense in an attempt to equalize. Boston netminder Tukkaa Rask stood tall as he turned aside a barrage of shots in the second period, keeping his team in the lead until the Bruins could open the floodgates in a decisive third period.
if Boston finishes this, Rask deserves the MVP award
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

St Louis Blues - 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

'We did it!' Blues hoist their first Stanley Cup

15 emotional photos from Blues' celebration of first Stanley Cup in franchise's 52-year history

game 7 was so much different than what I was expecting ... the Blues seemed to control pretty much all of the action

kind of nice to see a team win their first championship

and just think - the Blues were in last place at the end of January ... so they did what I had hoped the Blackhawks would do : pull their heads out and play like they mean it to close out the season ... the Blackhawks had some moments but were ultimately not up to the task ... the Blues were
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Anytime a series goes to 7 games is a good thing in my book. The Cup series went as expected, I root for the Bruins, they lose. I enjoyed the series and didn't get to worked up St Louis won. They were definitely the better team. Boston had more marquee players, but they didn't perform.

Now I am in my dead zone = no hockey or football. Come on football training camps.