Trubisky MVP Candidate?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Simms pretty well nails it to me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Have to agree
Sugashane
Player of the Month

He is logical about it. The key is for Tru to keep progressing, because we are going to have to pay him a monster salary (nature of the beast with franchise QBs) or gamble and replace him (barring career ending injury, no way this happens IMO). When he gets that big deal the Bears are going to have to find a way to keep their best other players and stockpile talent as efficiently as possible. Tru will be forced to win games much more than he will the next few years, as the chances of keeping a top defense are unlikely while paying him so much. Hell his entire college career and first two of his pro career he has attempted roughly the same amount of passes as Watson and Mahomes did just in college - of course he was behind the ball compared to them. But this pick is about having them for 15 years, so I think he overtakes Watson soon and while he won't get more personal accolades than Mahomes, I think he is far more successful in the postseason when all is said and done.

So this year, not and MVP candidate, but I won't be bold enough to say he won't be in a few more years.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I like what they were saying. Can you win a championship with Biscuits? Absolutely. All of the scrutiny that he has drawn is not his fault, it belongs on Ryan Pace. If Mahomes was taken ONE PICK before Trubisky, none of this criticism ever happens, and Mitch would be hailed as a future franchise QB.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

As I've said forever, the thing about Biscuit is that his lack of college experience is his biggest problem. And while I think he'll be better in Nagy v2.0, he'll still leave us wanting at times and people will be questioning him. "He's no Brees, Brady, Mahomes, etc." But he was a long term project when he was drafted and that doesn't change just because we want it to, it worked that way for another player or somebody set their own set of expectations for him.

Will he be better in 2019? Yes. Can we win it all with him? Possibly, with a good defense. Will we win because of him? Probably not yet or only in unusual circumstances. But a guy with his work ethic and his moxie--like we saw in the playoff game at the end--he's going to get everything possible out of his talent. We just may not see him peak for another year or two.

IotaNet
MVP

Mikefive wrote:As I've said forever, the thing about Biscuit is that his lack of college experience is his biggest problem. And while I think he'll be better in Nagy v2.0, he'll still leave us wanting at times and people will be questioning him. "He's no Brees, Brady, Mahomes, etc." But he was a long term project when he was drafted and that doesn't change just because we want it to, it worked that way for another player or somebody set their own set of expectations for him.

Will he be better in 2019? Yes. Can we win it all with him? Possibly, with a good defense. Will we win because of him? Probably not yet or only in unusual circumstances. But a guy with his work ethic and his moxie--like we saw in the playoff game at the end--he's going to get everything possible out of his talent. We just may not see him peak for another year or two.
I've said it before and I’ll say it again — this is what “developing a young quarterback” looks like. We don’t recognize it because we haven’t seen it in a while. The NFL talking heads don’t recognize it b/c they are stuck on the “same old Bears” BS narrative.

Trubisky is going to be a star in this league — sooner than later — but kudos to the Bears brain trust for bringing him along in a deliberate and measured way.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Can he win the games for this team? Come on....

He did against the eagles in the playoffs, the kicker on the other hand...

The kid has only improved steadily since he got under the center, he has all the tools to be a great QB. Just sit back and enjoy.
wab
Mod

I don't particularly care if he's an MVP candidate. I care if the team as a whole is good and continues to improve to the point where they are competing deep into the playoffs consistently. Trubisky's play directly correlates, but he doesn't have to play at an MVP level for that to happen.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'll settle for a plain old Superbowl MVP for Biscuit.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I don't need Mitch to win an MVP. But it would be nice if he's at least mentioned in the debate, instead of being referred to as a project.

To be honest, if Mitch is anywhere close to 4000, and 30 TD's with 10 or fewer int's, he'll emphatically surpass my expectations for his production.

Where he needs to show me he's progressing, is in making quicker reads, and not throwing INT's while completely missing open WR's like in the Buffalo game. I believe a healthy Miller and Robinson will win more at the LOS and make Mitch's job easier...but he still needs to grip and rip when his WR makes a great cut.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I like Tru. He's shown some flashes that have me optimistic.

He's also got a long way to go before he approaches an MVP level.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think some people need to retire or have off years for Biscuit to get an MVP. Don't get me wrong, I'm super psyched about Biscuit, but in reality there's the GOAT, Brees, Mahomes, Barkley, Hill, and I'm sure I'm leaving some deserving guys off.

Let's just focus on getting to the Super Bowl. I'd rather win that then any individual awards.
malk
Head Coach

If he stops missing guys when he's got too much time to think he'll be up there. 2nd year with Nagy and his receivers has me salivating.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I just want growth and continued improvement, which I fully expect to happen under nagy. Actually I am not worried at all from just the growth I saw last season from beginning to end.

The rest will come along just fine with regards to recognition around the league. Awards are nice window dressing but I just don't see it in the cards for trubisky unless he really does it a couple years in a row as it won't fit the mainstream media bashing narrative for them with regards to the bears.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm pleased with Biscuits development so far. He's going to explode eventually and make last years Bucs game look like the norm. But man, I had no idea he had wheels. I was not expecting him to be top 5. I knew he was young and could tuck and run if he needed to, but he was flat out killing defenses with his legs last season. I wonder if Pace saw something during scouting him or if his ability to extend plays and score with his legs is just a bonus?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:I'm pleased with Biscuits development so far. He's going to explode eventually and make last years Bucs game look like the norm. But man, I had no idea he had wheels. I was not expecting him to be top 5. I knew he was young and could tuck and run if he needed to, but he was flat out killing defenses with his legs last season. I wonder if Pace saw something during scouting him or if his ability to extend plays and score with his legs is just a bonus?
Look at the players that Pace likes to draft. He likes athletes. I have no doubt that he knew exactly how good Biscuits was with his feet.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've stayed out of this thread entirely until now... I don't even want to think about MVP candidate right now, my heart can't handle it.

Let's have a nice progression into his second year in this system.

That being said... some of the beat writers have reported that Biscuit is carrying himself like a franchise QB... loud, in charge, poised, etc.
Last edited by G08 on Fri May 24, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I agree G08. Don't care about MVP's, Pro Bowls, 1st Team All-Pro, etc.

Here is what I want. I want the Biscuits that showed up for the Tampa game, in combination with the fiery gunslinger that drove the Bears down the field in their wild card game against the Eagles. I hope everyone understands what happened during that drive. Biscuits was making throws, only 5-6 other QB's in the league could make. Combine the understanding of the offense in the TB game with the let it fly mentality of the WC game, and we have a fucking QB on our hands.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I agree G08. Don't care about MVP's, Pro Bowls, 1st Team All-Pro, etc.

Here is what I want. I want the Biscuits that showed up for the Tampa game, in combination with the fiery gunslinger that drove the Bears down the field in their wild card game against the Eagles. I hope everyone understands what happened during that drive. Biscuits was making throws, only 5-6 other QB's in the league could make. Combine the understanding of the offense in the TB game with the let it fly mentality of the WC game, and we have a fucking QB on our hands.
INJECT THIS STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I agree G08. Don't care about MVP's, Pro Bowls, 1st Team All-Pro, etc.

INJECT THIS STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS.
:headbang: