Bears sign offensive lineman T.J. Clemmings

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I liked this dude leading up to the draft. He's had a bad run of injury luck since coming into the league.
The Bears have added some depth along the offensive line.

By Jacob Infante@jacobinfante24 May 31, 2019, 11:07am CDT

T.J. Clemmings is the newest member of the Bears.

The Bears have added some depth to their offensive line, signing five-year veteran T.J. Clemmings, the team announced. As a corresponding move, they have waived undrafted rookie Tommy Doles—the second time he has been let go by the team.

Clemmings, who will be 28 in November, was a highly-touted collegiate prospect coming out of Pittsburgh. Expected to be selected in the first two rounds of the 2015 draft, he fell to the Vikings in the fourth round due to a stress fracture in his foot. He spent two seasons with the team, playing in 31 games and starting 30 of them. He spent time with the Redskins in 2017, playing in six games and starting two of them before he was placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury. He spent last season with the Raiders, playing in four games before he injured his knee in November.

Clemmings brings starting experience and versatility to the Bears’ offensive line, as he has experience at guard and at both left and right tackle. Though he has injury concerns and doesn’t have very good technique as a blocker, he is a good athlete and offers upside as a backup at four of the five offensive line positions. He could potentially compete to be the Bears’ swing tackle.

Clemmings will compete with the likes of Ted Larsen, Rashaad Coward and Alex Bars for an opportunity as a backup offensive lineman on Chicago’s 53-man roster.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Sounds like...
Pros... Big, strong, substantial starting experience, plays all but C, relatively young, good athlete
Cons... Injury prone, not smart or not very coachable thus bad technique, FA at end of May

Gotta hope HH can do something with him that other teams haven't.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Umbali
MVP

depth......sounds ok to me
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

This could be one of those great signings come mid Oct.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Sounds really talented for a depth replacement...

...but also sounds like serious competition for Kyle Long in the Who Can Get Injured First contest.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Middleguard
MVP

I don't like it because it implies (along with switching Sowell to TE) that the Bears are having trouble finding a competent swing tackle.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

he was a complete dumpster fire in MN so don't expect much.
Johnpierre79
Rookie

I like this signing. It's a good reclamation project for Harry Hiestand. I expect him to figure out how to maximize Clemmings' potential. And he comes risk free. If they can't get anything out of him in training camp, they can just cut him with no penalty.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

I liked him quite a bit coming out of college. Injuries really derailed his career, maybe he sticks and is a solid depth player for a few years. If not, it isn't like he signed for a lot of guaranteed cash.