NFL suspends full-time officiating program

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

NFL suspends full-time officiating program
With legalized gambling spreading, it’s more important than ever for the NFL to create the impression that it’s doing everything it can to ensure that officials get as many calls right as possible. And so, of course, the NFL has put its full-time officiating program on ice.

Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com reports that the league has shelved full-time officiating as part of ongoing labor discussions with the NFL Referees Association. This means that NFL officials will revert to being part-time employees, which presumably stinks for those NFL officials who had become full-time employees (and in turn given up their other part-time gigs).

It’s undoubtedly a bargaining tactic by the NFL, which showed in 2012 that it’s more than willing to compromise the quality of officiating (and in turn the integrity of the game) by locking out the officials and hiring replacements. After three embarrassing weekends, the league resolved the work stoppage.

The current labor deal between the NFL and its officials runs through March 2020. Which likely means that the NFL will once again be pennywise and pound foolish, undervaluing a function that become far more important as the NFL is poised to make millions more from the legalization of sports wagering.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:NFL suspends full-time officiating program
With legalized gambling spreading, it’s more important than ever for the NFL to create the impression that it’s doing everything it can to ensure that officials get as many calls right as possible. And so, of course, the NFL has put its full-time officiating program on ice.

Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com reports that the league has shelved full-time officiating as part of ongoing labor discussions with the NFL Referees Association. This means that NFL officials will revert to being part-time employees, which presumably stinks for those NFL officials who had become full-time employees (and in turn given up their other part-time gigs).

It’s undoubtedly a bargaining tactic by the NFL, which showed in 2012 that it’s more than willing to compromise the quality of officiating (and in turn the integrity of the game) by locking out the officials and hiring replacements. After three embarrassing weekends, the league resolved the work stoppage.

The current labor deal between the NFL and its officials runs through March 2020. Which likely means that the NFL will once again be pennywise and pound foolish, undervaluing a function that become far more important as the NFL is poised to make millions more from the legalization of sports wagering.
The absolute state of the NFL.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:NFL suspends full-time officiating program

That last paragraph makes an excellent point. The whole thing could be a negotiating tactic, but I wouldn't want part time referees for a lot of reasons but especially now.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The NFL: trying to kill its own golden goose one nickel at a time.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

figured this was worth a bump given all the discussion of the officiating in multiple threads

the NFL had the right idea and a plan in place to get the officiating into a full time professional role, and killed it

they need to rethink this, and they definitely need to rethink how instant replay is used and managed by the idiots in New York (main offender being Alberto Riveron, the all controlling king of the morons)

each game has a spare / alternate official ... so that official on game days should be the seeing eye for the game he is at rather than going to NY for everything

if an official on the field gets incapacitated and the extra official needs to then take the field, then and only then should the NY group have control of replay
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moving them to part time has been a disaster. There are other things going on, but this obviously isn't helping.

In the down time between games the league should have them watching film, self grading, and practicing.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The main reason why year after year high school sports are a bigger draw for me. The NFL is just going down hill fast. It is hard for me to watch NFL games that the Bears are not involved in. I was in and out of the game last night and what I saw was just plain dreadful (officiating wise).
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:45 pm The main reason why year after year high school sports are a bigger draw for me. The NFL is just going down hill fast. It is hard for me to watch NFL games that the Bears are not involved in. I was in and out of the game last night and what I saw was just plain dreadful (officiating wise).
Same here, exactly the same.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:38 pm
Otis Day wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:45 pm The main reason why year after year high school sports are a bigger draw for me. The NFL is just going down hill fast. It is hard for me to watch NFL games that the Bears are not involved in. I was in and out of the game last night and what I saw was just plain dreadful (officiating wise).
The sad thing is that the league has done this to itself. I think Goodell is a weak leader.

Way too much drama in the league lately between Kaepernick, Deflategate, and now the officiating. There were ways to clean all of that up, but Goodell just sits there and let's people get pissed off and bitter.

Officiating and rule changes ruined the NBA for me. Baseball got old because it takes like 90 seconds in between pitches. Then the assorted mound visits etc. Just play the damn game. Playoff hockey is fantastic.

Football is still my favorite sport by an extremely wide margin.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm same. I only watch the Bears and on occasion turn on Cardinals game to watch a drive. I just don't watch all day anymore. I think it started with the protests years ago, and the love for football really never came back other than for the bears.
tjs
Journeyman

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:26 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:38 pm

The sad thing is that the league has done this to itself. I think Goodell is a weak leader.
My uncle knows Goodell a bit and routinely has dinner with some owners-Jerry Jones being the one he mentioned by name. His opinion was that Goodell really IS as clueless as he seems in the media and that the owners LOVE it because they can push him around.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

tjs wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:39 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:26 am

My uncle knows Goodell a bit and routinely has dinner with some owners-Jerry Jones being the one he mentioned by name. His opinion was that Goodell really IS as clueless as he seems in the media and that the owners LOVE it because they can push him around.
Since he is hired by the owners and if that is what a majority want that would make sense.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Really? I could be a clueless punching bag for 40 million bucks a year or whatever he majors. Hell, I’ll do it for half!