Breakdown of Trubisky's Decision-making, Mechanics, etc.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Wounded Bear
MVP

Caught another pretty decent video on YouTube evaluating Trubisky's decision-making skills, mechanics, consistency, etc.

Brett Kollman attempts to answer the question: Is Mitch Trubisky a good quarterback? in a video called The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-d9SGrAdLg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Love BK because he just tells it like it is. Love his assessments and his unbiased view here. Thank you, Brett. :-)

As he says, it's weird that "bad Mitch" happens in "easy" situations and "good Mitch" happens under the most pressure. But generally, it's much easier to learn to improve under low pressure situations and for a lot of guys (*cough* Kirk Cousins *cough*) they seem to be able to do the job without the pressure, but then when it ramps up, they just can't seem to put it together. If I'm choosing, I'll take the guy who seemingly naturally performs under pressure EVERY SINGLE TIME. That kind of moxie often can't be taught. Bad hip mechanics can be fixed. No regrets on the Mitch pick.

I've said for some time that now with 39 starts since HS, Mitch will be better in NFL year 3, but not great. Look for his best self to start emerging in 2020. No reason to think differently now.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

His specific breakdown of Trubisky's hip rotation issues was illuminating. I hope that is something Nagy and Ragone notice and work with him to improve. This might be the key to seeing him really live up to his full potential. What do you guys think about his ability, with coaches help, to improve on his hip rotation in game?
UOK
Site Admin

I have faith that Trubisky can turn the corner on some of the little things, but the key is not give up on him while he's still young. I don't want Mitch to be pariah'd out of town on a rail only to go to another team who figures out how to shape him and gets 4-5 solid years of play.

The kid has a ton of skill and leadership ability. He needs continued support and shaping and training. I think this will be a big year for him.
G08
Hall of Famer

What I don't like about these breakdowns is he has no idea whatsoever if the WR was late in the route or the timing was disrupted in his route. Nagy alluded to this numerous times during the season (or maybe he was making excused for his QB -- works both ways).

I'm curious to see how this improves because I watched every snap of his at North Carolina and I did not see nearly as many inaccurate throws as he displayed last season.

My opinion? It's a little bit of both... once he feels more comfortable in this offense I think we'll see a much better QB.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'd bet a lot of Tru's problems are mechanical. Few things explain the inconsistency better.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Kollman does a great job as always. I think he doesn't take into account how behind the curve Mitch is compared to normal 2yr qb's. His lack of experience in college stacked w/having to learn a new system w/mostly new weapons(timing) was going to make for a shaky season last year, but later in the year you were seeing more good then bad.
Now he has a better understanding of the system, and has more comfort w/the targets. I'm guessing Nagy and Ragone will work to fix those mechanical issues, I'm betting there is more then just that hip rotation he needs to fix.
I think by the end of this year the questions on what he will be are mostly put to rest, in a good way.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:What I don't like about these breakdowns is he has no idea whatsoever if the WR was late in the route or the timing was disrupted in his route. Nagy alluded to this numerous times during the season (or maybe he was making excused for his QB -- works both ways).

I'm curious to see how this improves because I watched every snap of his at North Carolina and I did not see nearly as many inaccurate throws as he displayed last season.

My opinion? It's a little bit of both... once he feels more comfortable in this offense I think we'll see a much better QB.
Didn't watch every snap but the ones I did see saw the weird overthrows when not under pressure crop up. That does kinda point towards his mechanics being a little off so things go awry when he gets casual. I guess the good thing there is that it's possible to work on both the mechanics and being dialled into every snap. Either would see an improvement, both potentially a big one.

And he's already good. 2nd year pro, 1st year in a complicated offence with 4 of your top 5 targets brand new to the team... he was three TDs below and three interceptions above hitting 3:1 TD:INT. If he gets there I'll be very happy.

Now if he throws 35 to 7...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:His specific breakdown of Trubisky's hip rotation issues was illuminating. I hope that is something Nagy and Ragone notice and work with him to improve. This might be the key to seeing him really live up to his full potential. What do you guys think about his ability, with coaches help, to improve on his hip rotation in game?
Kollman focusing on the Rams game to illustrate what he sees as Trubisky's poor hip rotation reminded me of these posts in the game-day thread...
HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
G08 wrote:Trubisky: what the hell is going on with this kid? The first sailed ball, to me, looked like he didn't bring his hip with him on his follow through. The other sailed INT it looked like he did, so I have no idea what happened. I truly think it's something mechanical.
Jim Miller talked about this on the postgame show. He explained how Trubisky didn't appear to 'pronate' his wrist fully on his follow through, which is necessary to get the ball to arc downwards over the linebacker. Consequently the ball kept flying straight instead of dipping, sailing over the receiver and into the welcoming hands of the DB.

Hopefully this is just an issue with technique that Nagy and Ragone can sort out without too much difficulty rather than anything relating to Trubisky's shoulder injury.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I have faith that Trubisky can turn the corner on some of the little things, but the key is not give up on him while he's still young. I don't want Mitch to be pariah'd out of town on a rail only to go to another team who figures out how to shape him and gets 4-5 solid years of play.

The kid has a ton of skill and leadership ability. He needs continued support and shaping and training. I think this will be a big year for him.
This.

The only thing I'll add is that last year was really Biscuit's rookie year.

1st year with the following:

1) Full time starter from opening day.
2) New head coach with a complex (yet effective) offense.
3) New offensive coordinator.
4) Mostly new receivers.

Critics and analysts need to factor that into their report.

I was extremely happy and proud of what Biscuit did last year. Especially in that last drive against Philadelphia. Last year I saw him develop and improve as the season went on and I'm as encouraged as I possibly can be with him.
jamus34
Journeyman

I agree a lot of his issues seem mechanical.

that said, I think he has mechanical issues because, like the video states, he thinks too much when he has time.

He just doesn't have the total game day reps to make things muscle memory.

I do find it ironic that he is better the shittier the position he's put in. almost the inverse of Grossman or to a lesser degree, Cutler, who seem to do great when they had the ability to carve up defenses but put some pressure on them and they folded like a cheap chair.
Last edited by jamus34 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

I believe in Money Mitch. This is a big year.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

"There isn’t a quarterback in the NFL that can outwork Trubisky and that’s why I expect him to make another jump in play in 2019."

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/ ... eid-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the end, I believe he's going to do the work and get as better as he can every year. He's got the right mentality, he's got the physical tools, he's just got to keep doing the work and getting better.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I love Brett Kollman. I believe he's one of the best analysts on YouTube. Not sure what his background is, but he really seems to understand football at a technical level.

His assessment of Trubisky is spot on. He's a stone cold killer when the pressure is on, and wildly inconsistent when it's not. But I think Kollman alluded to the idea that Trubisky just needs to turn his brain off and play. When he over thinks the play, or the defense, he runs into trouble. When he needs to make a play with the clock winding down, he just plays, and as BK said, "let's that motherfucker fly." Which at this point, is all about time in a system. Getting comfortable with the concepts that Nagy is teaching.