I think I saw a Chicago Bear this weekend

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

As you might expect, I was aware of the Chasing Great team theme for 2019. So I'm on my way from Indiana to Pennsylvania on Friday to visit my in-laws when I stop in a rest stop off the Ohio Turnpike. In the bathroom, I notice this guy who my eyes say is about 6'2" 235# and built like a brick sh*t house. I'm drying my hands when he turns around and there's no way to miss his dri-fit material navy T-shirt with CHASING GREAT in all caps white across the front.

(I've done some poking around on Chicagobears.com and can't find a pic of that T-shirt.)

The bad news is that I didn't recognize the guy at all. :-( I left the bathroom and was waiting for Mrs. Five and when this guy comes out, I go... "excuse me... Can you tell me where you got that T-shirt?" Him... "I got it in Chicago." I then look at him quizzically and point to my own Chicago Bears T-shirt. He smiles at me, turns and walks away.

Had I recognized him, I would've addressed him by name, offered him a hand shake and asked for a picture. But since I couldn't identify him, I didn't pursue it any further.

Oh well. Fun experience for me none the less. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Xee
Site Admin

Very cool. Don't blame you at all for not recognizing him as it seems lately that every year there are more new faces than familiar ones.
UOK
Site Admin

Look through pictures of this year's draft class, maybe.
Z Bear
MVP

That is about the size of Patrick Scales... I bet no one would recognize him on the streets, lol.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:That is about the size of Patrick Scales... I bet no one would recognize him on the streets, lol.
I can guarantee 100% that it wasn't Patrick Scales. And not because I could pick him out of a lineup. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

Nice! It's always cool to come across athletes.

I ran into RW McQuarters and Jerry Azumah in Water Tower Place at a Lacoste store. It was kinda cool, but weird at the same time.

Living down here in DFW and in a suburb where several Cowboys live, it's not uncommon to run into current and ex players at gas stations, grocery stores, movie theaters etc. I run into Randy White all the damn time. He's the friendliest dude too. Tony Romo used to go to our church...Jason Whitten shops at the same Albertson's every week. I used to see Cole Beasley at the mall. People generally leave them alone because it's common to see them out and about.

It's not a big deal to me because I don't give a shit about the Cowboys. If I ran into Mitch or Mack or Long a couple times a week I'd freak out like a 12yr old at a Jonas Brothers concert.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Could be a trainer or low level coach too, hard to say
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Just be glad it wasn't Ted Washington you encountered
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
sturf
Journeyman

Moriarty wrote:Just be glad it wasn't Ted Washington you encountered
I'll never forget watching Ted Washington and Keith Traylor always ride together on the back of a golf cart at training camp.
G08
Hall of Famer

Well shit, now I'm curious.... got any descriptors other than height/weight?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Black individual with CHASING GREAT T-shirt.

Xee
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:Black individual with CHASING GREAT T-shirt.
Great, that narrows it down a lot.

If I had the time and motivation to do it I would go through the twitter feeds of players for that date to see if anyone tweeted from Ohio or near there. Unfortunately, I don't have either of those.