Unofficial Depth Chart Released

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Only real surprise (to me) is that McManis is now officially listed as a safety.

Looks better in the link

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/depth-chart
UOK
Site Admin

First depth chart is out for Thursday's game:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Feels great to see Nichols starting. That starting defense reads like a fantasy team. Cohen as the starting RB is interesting. I wonder if that will carry over into the regular season?
jamus34
Journeyman

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm Feels great to see Nichols starting. That starting defense reads like a fantasy team. Cohen as the starting RB is interesting. I wonder if that will carry over into the regular season?
I think that's more of a respect for Cohen / expectation that the rookie has to earn his stripes type of thing.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I saw a number of interesting things, in no particular order:

1. McMannis at S. He’s played and been listed as a CB in the past.
2. Nichols ahead of RRH. Not that he hasn’t shown promise, but RRH has, too. Is it purely merit or does contract status come into play (which isn’t necessarily wrong)?
3. Ted Larsen listed in 2 backup slots is weird. Yes, that’s common during an in-season depth chart, but not in preseason. Note that he’s the only guy out of about 80 listed that way. When the 2nd team offense takes the field, does he have a big space next to him and 2 assignments? That would be awesome to watch. If not, who else lines up with the 2nd team?
4. Clemmings listed with the 3s. I predicted him to make the team as a versatile G/T, but this doesn’t look promising. Maybe he plays G with the 2s when Larsen is at C?
5. Tarik Cohen listed as first string. Yeah, I get veteran respect, blah, blah, blah. But if the season started tomorrow, he wouldn’t go out and line up at HB with the starters for the first play from scrimmage. And he wouldn’t get the most carries. Or touches. And we all know that. And Davis is a veteran, too. OK, just hair-splitting, but seems odd to me.
6. Jordan Williams-Lambert listed with the 2nd team, ahead of Ridley, MHall, EHall made my head explode. He hasn’t been on my radar, I haven’t heard a word of hype about him or here or on the radio. Is he impressing people?
7. The backup return men are curious. No matter how good he might be, surely you don’t want Jackson doing that in case of injury. Miller seems iffy, too, as an almost-starter. And the other guys either definitely won’t make the team or are dubious to be someone you want to use game day active slots on. And White isn’t even listed among any of the 8 return spots. Wasn’t that supposed to be a sizeable part of his potential contribution and chance to make the team?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I like that Alex Bars is the 2nd string LG. He was a real find for the Bears. I hope he sticks.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:16 pm I saw a number of interesting things, in no particular order:

2. Nichols ahead of RRH. Not that he hasn’t shown promise, but RRH has, too. Is it purely merit or does contract status come into play (which isn’t necessarily wrong)?
3. Ted Larsen listed in 2 backup slots is weird. Yes, that’s common during an in-season depth chart, but not in preseason. Note that he’s the only guy out of about 80 listed that way. When the 2nd team offense takes the field, does he have a big space next to him and 2 assignments? That would be awesome to watch. If not, who else lines up with the 2nd team?
4. Clemmings listed with the 3s. I predicted him to make the team as a versatile G/T, but this doesn’t look promising. Maybe he plays G with the 2s when Larsen is at C?
5. Tarik Cohen listed as first string. Yeah, I get veteran respect, blah, blah, blah. But if the season started tomorrow, he wouldn’t go out and line up at HB with the starters for the first play from scrimmage. And he wouldn’t get the most carries. Or touches. And we all know that. And Davis is a veteran, too. OK, just hair-splitting, but seems odd to me.
6. Jordan Williams-Lambert listed with the 2nd team, ahead of Ridley, MHall, EHall made my head explode. He hasn’t been on my radar, I haven’t heard a word of hype about him or here or on the radio. Is he impressing people?
7. The backup return men are curious. No matter how good he might be, surely you don’t want Jackson doing that in case of injury. Miller seems iffy, too, as an almost-starter. And the other guys either definitely won’t make the team or are dubious to be someone you want to use game day active slots on. And White isn’t even listed among any of the 8 return spots. Wasn’t that supposed to be a sizeable part of his potential contribution and chance to make the team?
1. I'm guessing there is too much competition at CB, and they need to keep him on the team for ST.
2. No surprise at all. You watch Nichols this year. He is going to explode. His first step is CRAZY. Now he has good hand technique. LOOK OUT.
3. Meh.
4. I think Alex Bars is turning heads.
5. They will bring D-Mont along slowly. Cohen and Davis will probably split HB duties to start the season.
6. I've heard good things about JHL. Even better about Wims.
7. I think Emanuel Hall might fit the returner gig. Also play gunner on punts. The 4.39 is a big plus.
G08
Hall of Famer

McManis has been competing at safety since the start of the off-season, Adam Hoge has been talking about it on twitter/his podcasts. He interviewed McManis as well and the long and short of it is that Sherrick thinks it's always best to have more clubs in your bag, so to speak.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Other things I've gleaned... RB depth chart is a formality... team really loves Montgomery but wants him to earn the job. Some thought that Cohen might be playing more as a WR than a RB, but that is TBD. Ian Bunting has been impressing at camp, moreso than my dude Dax Raymond (much to my chagrin).

What else... Nichols has been kicking ass and RRH seems to be ascending.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 pm Other things I've gleaned... RB depth chart is a formality... team really loves Montgomery but wants him to earn the job. Some thought that Cohen might be playing more as a WR than a RB, but that is TBD. Ian Bunting has been impressing at camp, moreso than my dude Dax Raymond (much to my chagrin).

What else... Nichols has been kicking ass and RRH seems to be ascending.
Nichols is going to GO OFF this year. He has the fastest first step on line. The front five of Mack, Nichols, Goldman, Hicks and Floyd will be the best in the league, and it won't even be close. OC's and OL's will be having nightmares of trying to handle those five. It's gonna be A LOT of fun to watch.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:14 pm McManis has been competing at safety since the start of the off-season, Adam Hoge has been talking about it on twitter/his podcasts. He interviewed McManis as well and the long and short of it is that Sherrick thinks it's always best to have more clubs in your bag, so to speak.
Hmmmm...I did not know that...

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:16 pm I saw a number of interesting things, in no particular order:

All of the feedback about Nichols is that the guy is taking the next step and that he's ready. Point is, we don't need to start Bullard anymore. Just to make a general announcement, I've gone full meatball about Nichols. The guy is going to be a Pro Bowler and the next Hicks. Woe be to the opposing offensive line.

You make a great point about Cohen. It didn't even occur to me about the whole veteran thing so he's technically the starter. If Montgomery isn't starting by week 3 I'll be nervous.

I agree with you about the backup return guys. I don't want Miller or Jackson anywhere near the return game.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

If Montgomery isn't starting by week 3, it'll be because Mike Davis is looking too good to unseat.
Personally, I think "starting" isn't going to matter on this team. I believe that we'll see a true committee to keep guys fresh and hungry.
Nagy will be able to call almost anything he wants with Davis, Montgomery or Patterson in the game, and Cohen can do just about anything too.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Actually, generally when the first team went out, it was Cohen at RB. Sure, they didn't hand him the ball very often and it will be a "just to keep defenses honest" thing when they do. And sometimes, he just lined up as another WR. I've never seen a RB field managed like this before, where being proficient in the passing game seemingly has more value than being able to pound the rock (hence the Howard trade). But that's how they're playing it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

If Montgomery isn't starting by week 3, it'll be because Mike Davis is looking too good to unseat.
Personally, I think "starting" isn't going to matter on this team. I believe that we'll see a true committee to keep guys fresh and hungry.
Nagy will be able to call almost anything he wants with Davis, Montgomery or Patterson in the game, and Cohen can do just about anything too.
Agreed.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

ramentaschen wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:08 am
Agreed.
I also agree. I'll take it a step further and say that PT could be highly variable based on the opponent. Cohen is going to play a lot if healthy as he's a matchup nightmare. But you could see Davis, Montgomery or Patterson play a lot one game and not so much the next, just based on matchups.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

I'm surprised to see Lucas at 2nd string LT. At 6'9", if he has to replace the midget, it will certainly disrupt Trubisky's sight lines.