Warm-up Laps - Gearing up for 2019

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Well Gents. The 2019 season is upon us!! :party:

But first of course we need to wade through the mediocrity of the first four preseason games. Based on Nagy's strategy last year, I don't expect key players like Mack, Robinson or Trubisky to even sniff the field. I'd be surprised if they were dressed for any of the game at all. So that leaves us with the obvious. The Bears preseason is ALL about sorting out the fringes of the 53 that will make the team this year. Unlike years past, when the Bears were praying to pick-up cap casualties or the so-so players from good teams. The Bears are STACKED! Every position is going to be a dog fight (except QB). So what happens? Who separates in these four games, and who gets the pink slip?

I'm not looking for full roster predictions. Here is what I want to know;

1. Who are your surprise members of the 53 man roster?
2. Who are your surprise cuts?
3. What position will end up being the biggest fight? WR? DB? OL? TE? LB?
4. Predict your standout player of the preseason.

This is good stuff guys. We are poised to make a run at the Super Bowl. For those of us that have ridden through the debacle of Trestman and Fox. This feels really great. BEAR DOWN!! :headbang:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:38 pm Well Gents. The 2019 season is upon us!! :party:

But first of course we need to wade through the mediocrity of the first four preseason games. Based on Nagy's strategy last year, I don't expect key players like Mack, Robinson or Trubisky to even sniff the field. I'd be surprised if they were dressed for any of the game at all. So that leaves us with the obvious. The Bears preseason is ALL about sorting out the fringes of the 53 that will make the team this year. Unlike years past, when the Bears were praying to pick-up cap casualties or the so-so players from good teams. The Bears are STACKED! Every position is going to be a dog fight (except QB). So what happens? Who separates in these four games, and who gets the pink slip?

I'm not looking for full roster predictions. Here is what I want to know;

This is good stuff guys. We are poised to make a run at the Super Bowl. For those of us that have ridden through the debacle of Trestman and Fox. This feels really great. BEAR DOWN!! :headbang:
1. We are going to sign a cap casualty from another team as either a TE or an OL.
2. Kwiatkoski. I think we see Iggy and Fitts step up.
3. The #2 WR slot between Gabriel, Miller and Ridley.
4. Duke Shelley. From now on I will refer to him as The Duke Of Chicago A #1 just like in Escape From New York. I think Shelley gets a couple of picks and returns one for a TD. There could even be talk about him replacing Prince as a starter, but we'll have to remember that he did against the 2nd or 3rd string. The other one is Nichols. I think he's going to get reps against the 2nd string and its going to be amazing to watch.
wab
Mod

Since Pace has taken over, he's shown a tendency to keep 2-3 UDFAs. I think Bars sticks, either Raymond or Bunting at TE, potentially Jalen Davis or Jonathan Harris at DE, and James Vaughters at OLB.

Bullard, Larsen, Houston-Carson...and maybe Fitts

WR and TE for sure

Ryan Nall
GSH
MVP

1. Who are your surprise members of the 53 man roster? Dax Raymond, Jonathan Harris
2. Who are your surprise cuts? - In full agreement with wab here - Bullard, Larsen, H-Carson and Fitts. Fitts one of those ' cant hit on them all' Pace picks. I see them all getting picked up off waivers though. Bet fitts lands on the lions and Bullard on the packers. calling it now.
3. What position will end up being the biggest fight? WR? DB? OL? TE? LB? - WR easily. Between Wims and the guy who loses out to Wims, probably Marvin Hall. Ridley might get stashed on IR because he's missed so much time.
4. Predict your standout player of the preseason. David Montgomery. And I dont think it will be close.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

ILB Josh Woods, there's a shocker for ya
Jonathan Bullard, TJ Clemmings, Nick Kwiatkowski
WR
Marvin Hall, although I was going to also say Nall
But don't count out Tanner Gentry. He will light up the Walmart guys.
Dax, Bunting and the other depth chart TEs have a chance, since Burton and Shaheen won't play much.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.