Lynch vs. Floyd, Floyd vs. Lynch

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wab
Mod

You know, I actually thought about this the other day. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Neither has been able to demonstrate that they can stay healthy, both have great (although different) athleticism, and both have flashed dominance, just wildly inconsistent.

Interesting storyline...
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Isn't the fact that they offered Floyd an expensive 5th year option and Lynch got a one year, lower offer than the $6M he made last year pretty telling?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:12 pm Isn't the fact that they offered Floyd an expensive 5th year option and Lynch got a one year, lower offer than the $6M he made last year pretty telling?
Lynch tested the market for a good while before inking back with the Bears. Didn't get the kind of money he was hoping for.

Floyd's a homegrown player who they have control over, more or less, and has been a steady talent on your roster, failing to meet standards of a 9th overall pick notwithstanding.

There's no real way to lose here, beyond splitting hairs over how you feel the Bears should handle their contracts.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:12 pm Isn't the fact that they offered Floyd an expensive 5th year option and Lynch got a one year, lower offer than the $6M he made last year pretty telling?
Yeah, I don't think there's much talent competition here.

There's only the possibility that Lynch inherits the job after the Bears decide they can't afford Floyd.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I would rather switch to a 4-3 and have Mack, Smith and Trevathan be the LBs.

Door #1: An OLB that gets stupid 15 yard personnel fouls for obscene celebrations.

Door #2: An overpriced bust of a first round pick making $15M per year.

I'm ready for Iggy to start to see what we have there.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Remember, as long as he is healthy they can cut Floyd after the season, prior to the next league year, with zero dead money. The 5th year option is only guaranteed against injury prior to the league year starting for the actual season of the 5th year option.

Upon the beginning of the league year the 5th year option becomes fully guaranteed.

Unless he really pops Floyd is gonna be a cap casualty most likely. The team has gotten to the talent level that they are going to have to make a lot of tough decisions. Maybe there will be enough coming off the cap for one more season, if he will actually play under the 5th year option and not hold out.

I think Pace putting the 5th year option is a time extender where he can try to get Floyd to take a reasonable extension after the season. He is worth nowhere near what the 5th year option pricetag is when you consider everyone else needing to be paid or already paid on this team. To another team needing more and devoid of talent they are probably going to throw a boatload of money at him when he hits the market.

So, IMO, Lynch is probably the one with the better chance to stick long term just due to price. As long as healthy.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I'd love to find a way to keep them both.
IE
Hall of Famer

I like Flo because #52 really likes him and seems to like to point that out. I thought he was pretty darn good last year after the hand got better. I went from being ambivalent about the guy early last year to him being one of the guys I liked watching the most as the year went on. I wouldn't be surpised if he got 10 sacks.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!