Mobile-only tickets required to enter game

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mobile-only tickets required to enter game

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/soldi ... -ticketing

the Bears going technical .... wonder how many old farts still with flip phones will be affected by this
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I predict a cluster. What if your battery dies? What if you drop your phone in line and break it? What if you don't use a smart phone? What if your phone is low on resources and can't support the app?

It's one thing to say "you don't have our app, so you don't get the sale price". It's quite another for you to PAY $100+ for a product that involves travel and a lot of time, but you don't get it due to some technical glitch. Is this a way for them to influence to get younger fans in?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Any posters here season ticket holders for the Bears? I'm curious as to how folks were notified of this change to mobile tickets only and if this is a problem for anyone.

I also wonder if people buying tickets from someone other than the Bears might have issues.

Guess we'll find out sometime tomorrow if there is some massive glitch tonight.
George Carlin
tjs
Journeyman

I did some contract design work for Ticketmaster a few years ago when they were working on this technology. Not aware of what is currently being rolled out, the at the time, the alternative for people without smartphones was to get mailed paper tickets that are embedded with an NFC chip so you can still "tap to enter" and it still is registered to a single user. The NFC paper ticket didn't have any barcodes on it, it basically functioned just as a phone with a tap to enter ticket on it would.
UOK
Site Admin

Middleguard
MVP

Death to scalpers!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

And what if Soldier's technology fails? They let nobody in? Or everybody who looks like they have a valid ticket? Wouldn't that be crazy if a hacker clobbered the system and then released software into the wild that allowed the public to bring up stuff that looked like Bears ticket bar codes and the stadium had 80,000 people there who claimed they had valid tickets?

It's kinda like voting. There's just something more secure about having the paper.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

I'd like to shake that hacker's hand.
GSH
MVP

thats dumb
dychestadium
Rookie

Actually the technology did fail. There was 20 minute stretch last night when no one was being let in (from around 7-7:20) I didn't get to seats until around 7:40. I was also not able to transfer rickets to friends (which wasn't a problem since we were all together).
Xee
Site Admin

dychestadium wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:05 pm Actually the technology did fail. There was 20 minute stretch last night when no one was being let in (from around 7-7:20) I didn't get to seats until around 7:40. I was also not able to transfer rickets to friends (which wasn't a problem since we were all together).
That sucks, must have been a lot of angry fans. Granted, it's a preseason game, but you'd think they would have tested it out extensively before implementing it.

Btw, welcome!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:28 pm
dychestadium wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:05 pm Actually the technology did fail. There was 20 minute stretch last night when no one was being let in (from around 7-7:20) I didn't get to seats until around 7:40. I was also not able to transfer rickets to friends (which wasn't a problem since we were all together).
That sucks, must have been a lot of angry fans. Granted, it's a preseason game, but you'd think they would have tested it out extensively before implementing it.

Btw, welcome!

maybe they figured the pre-season games were their test period?
George Carlin