Sowell Fully Committed to Position Switch

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/sowel ... ion-switch

Larry Mayer
BEARS SENIOR WRITER

Bradley Sowell is entering his third season with the Bears. But when he arrived at training camp in Bourbonnais last month, he felt like a stranger.

Having shed 35 pounds during the offseason as part of his transition from offensive tackle to tight end, Sowell walked past some coaches and teammates without being recognized. Even his wife, Jessica, had trouble spotting him at practice—and not only because he no longer was wearing jersey No. 79.

“When I got back, it was hilarious, people not recognizing me,” Sowell said. “My wife couldn’t find me and a bunch of other players’ wives were saying they had to look on the roster to see who No. 85 was. I can’t tell because I see myself every day, but looking from afar, people say I look totally different.”

Last season Sowell was listed as a tackle but often lined up like a tight end as an eligible receiver. He even scored the only touchdown in a 15-6 win over the Los Angeles Rams on a 2-yard reception from Mitchell Trubisky.

When the decision to switch him to tight end permanently was made during the offseason, Sowell enthusiastically accepted the challenge. He spent the five weeks players are off before training camp back home in Mississippi, working out like he was Rocky Balboa preparing to fight Apollo Creed.

“I knew that I was going to be transitioning over, so I wanted to really impress [the Bears],” Sowell said. “I worked out twice a day and ran a lot. It was like 100 degrees down in Mississippi. I attacked it like I was in some kind of boot camp. I really got after it. I didn’t skip a day.”

Sowell also dramatically altered his diet, which helped him drop from 310 to 275 pounds.

“I changed that up a lot,” he said. “I went probably two-and-a-half months without eating anything that I thought was unhealthy for me. I ate as perfect as a human can eat and [the weight] came off pretty quickly once I did that, mixed with all the running and the heat down there.”

Offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich likes Sowell’s new look.

“Brad has done a nice job of coming in in different shape and really has committed himself to that role,” Helfrich said earlier in training camp. “He has had a great attitude and has done everything we’ve asked him.”

It’s one thing to look good; it’s another to perform well on the field—and Nagy has been impressed with what he’s seen from Sowell so far this summer.

“Transitioning from tackle to tight end, Bradley has done a good job,” Nagy said the first week of August. “He’s probably doing a little bit better than what I imagined.

“I was not concerned at all about him getting down to the weight that he wanted to get down to. I knew that he’d work hard. Any time Bradley Sowell says he didn’t play a round of golf in five weeks, he’s working hard. So I knew that and you can see it; he’s thinner. He kept his strength and the kid wants it more than anybody.”

There’s never been a question about Sowell’s drive or work ethic. When he wants to accomplish something, the 30-year-old doesn’t let anything stop him. He entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent and has appeared in 100 games with 24 starts over five seasons with the Colts (2012), Cardinals (2013-15), Seahawks (2016) and Bears.

Sowell hasn’t played tight end since he was a freshman at the University of Mississippi. But he isn’t concerned that he’s making a risky career move because the Bears feel he’s better off at the new position and he’s fully committed to his new role.

“There’s a lot of little stuff to work on, but I think one thing [coaches] appreciate about me is I show up every day and I give my absolute best effort,” Sowell said. “I think they notice that, ‘Hey, man, this guy is literally relentless out there. No matter what he does, he’s going to find a way to correct it.’ And I think that’s really been the story of my career. I’m a super average guy who just works extremely hard and tries to impress in that manner.”
Last edited by AZ_Bearfan on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Ok, I'm full on rooting for this guy now.
G08
Hall of Famer

Nice share @AZ_Bearfan ! I'm rooting for him as well... seems like a good dude
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Nice article.

Hope he makes it with the team in this new role.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:24 pm Ok, I'm full on rooting for this guy now.
Its a fun story. I have been rooting for him since I saw pictures of him in camp, and heard about his commitment. Hey, at 6'7", he could be a weapon in the red zone.
Xee
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:23 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:24 pm Ok, I'm full on rooting for this guy now.
Its a fun story. I have been rooting for him since I saw pictures of him in camp, and heard about his commitment. Hey, at 6'7", he could be a weapon in the red zone.
Not to mention that at 30, this is not easy to pull off. Hats off to the dedication and hard work that got him there.
G08
Hall of Famer

He didn't look too hot last week...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

He's looked the part, particularly when blocking. But he had some swings and misses vs. the Giants. But on the whole, he's been fine.

I'm always amused by headlines like "Sowell Fully Committed....". Like you're ever going to see a headline that says, "Sowell Unsure about Position Switch", even if it's true. :-D
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think this actually has potential to extend his career a couple seasons. He was a maybe to make the team as an extra lineman, but you really didn't want him playing. As a blocking TE he probably can stick a few more years even if not with the bears.