UOK
Site Admin

PRESEASON GAME 2: CHICAGO BEARS @ NEW YORK GIANTS
Friday, August 16th, 2019 - 6:30pm CDT
venue: MetLife Stadium
television: FOX (local), NFL Network
streams: reddit
radio: 780AM WBBM

CLICK HERE to join our Bears Fans Online Discord chat!

---------

---------

wab
Mod

I'm actually pretty interested in seeing Daniel Jones play.

As far as the Bears go....more of the same as last week. I want to see Montgomery, the TE's and of the 2nd team OL starts to come together.

One defense I'll be watching for Bullard and paying attention to the LB's and DB's.

I'd like to see coverage teams improve, and of course will be focused on the kicking saga.
G08
Hall of Famer

Just get out of this one healthy and I hope Pineiro grabs this job by the throat and doesn't let go.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

1) Stay healthy. The time to eat livers with chianti is Opening Day against the Packers. Save the energy for then.
2) See #1.
3) Let's see some more SIngletary.
4) I'm with Fry. I hope he goes 4 for 4 with a couple PATs and puts the competition away early.
5) If either Daniel or Bray want to look like a decent backup that would be fine by me.
6) I want the offensive and defensive schemes to be as boring as possible. Don't tip any hands.
7) Enjoy myself in the new chat room and crack some jokes.
Middleguard
MVP

I'm very worried about special teams. I see no reason why they shouldn't be performing near their best during preseason games. Sure, Tabor might be using bubble players to help determine who sticks, and starters might play 10-20% of ST snaps during the regular season but won't during the preseason. But they sure better play better than they did against the Panthers.
Richie
MVP

I am very happy this game is nationally televised on NFLN.

Another reason to hate pre-season is because even if you have Sunday Ticket (like myself) you still cannot watch pre-season games when out of market.
G08
Hall of Famer

Thought I was going to miss this game because of work but lucked out and found someone to swap shifts!

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think the Bears should end each offensive drive with field goal attempts once they get in range ... let the offense drive into scoring territory but then let the kickers do their thing rather than going for the endzone ... I think this would be the best use of this practice game
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:11 am I think the Bears should end each offensive drive with field goal attempts once they get in range ... let the offense drive into scoring territory but then let the kickers do their thing rather than going for the endzone ... I think this would be the best use of this practice game
You kind of get that with a TD, though, don't you? XP is kind of like driving to the 15 and stalling out.

They should just false start / delay of game before each XP to get a longer kick, if that's the goal.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Why couldn't the tell they refs before the game to line up XPs at the 25 instead of the normal spot? It's just a preseason game, right? :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

This is kind of pathetic but I sincerely hope Piñeiro and Fry both get to attempt 4 kicks a piece :lol:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:11 am I think the Bears should end each offensive drive with field goal attempts once they get in range ... let the offense drive into scoring territory but then let the kickers do their thing rather than going for the endzone ... I think this would be the best use of this practice game
That's actually a pretty good idea. The only thing I don't like about it is that the red zone offense doesn't get any work in but then again there's practice and value in keeping the playbook secret until the season starts.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

You could score a td and then get a penalty or 2 to back up the PAT.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:44 pm You could score a td and then get a penalty or 2 to back up the PAT.
I mean, there's no rule specifically stating that you can't attempt an XP from 45 yards out.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:44 pm You could score a td and then get a penalty or 2 to back up the PAT.
I mean, there's no rule specifically stating that you can't attempt an XP from 45 yards out.
Or 43. :nana:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Ugly, ugly game if you're a Bears fan. Mistakes galore. Other than the turnovers generated by the defense.... Yuck. Marvin Hall is a preseason headline if Tyler Bray could only throw a deep ball anywhere close to accurate.

BR0D1E86
MVP

I’m at a Rockies game so I didn’t watch it, but from looking at the box score it’s hard to read too much into a preseason game where the Bears not only didn’t play any of their starters, but most of their top backups too.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Adam Hoge's 10 things after the Giants game. He elucidates about Nagy's strategy to sit starters--including David Montgomery--and talks about the ups and downs of the game at MetLife stadium.

I do wonder what wabby has to say about Clifton Duck's gorgeous red zone pick. :-P

Coward looked like he got a hyperextended elbow in the game. :-(

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Game highlights. (Mostly lowlights.)

Middleguard
MVP

Lucas did not look good at left tackle. Clemmings apparently played somewhere, but although I looked for him, I didn't see him. Did anyone?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Our backup QB situation is scary. Chase Daniel should not be having the problems he's having for someone who has been in Nagy's system as long as he has. I just don't think he can do it. Then he fucks up a snap in the end zone.

Bray is a third stringer so you gotta remember that but he can't hit shit with his throws.
UOK
Site Admin

I watched a quarter before I passed out. I was pleased that nobody of consequence got hurt. That's all that matters to me.
docc
Head Coach

^^ This is all I took from the scrimmage...
wab
Mod

It was my wife's b-day Friday (which takes up an entire weekend, because women), so I haven't seen much of the game.

Daniels was fine enough last year when he was needed, so I can't say I care about his preseason performance. I also don't care that Bray is bad. If the Bears get to a place where they are relying on Cornelius Lucas and Tyler Bray, then it's over anyway.

I did see the Duck pick on NFLN, it was a nice play.