Kicking Kompetition

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Fry has been released and Eddie Pineiro has won the job it appears.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Based off Nagy and Pineiro's pressers, I'd say the job is still very much up for grabs. Sounds like they are giving Eddie every chance to be the guy but if someone they like is cut or if Eddie has a misstep the Bears sound ready to go in a different direction. I think Eddie's exact words were this gives him a shot to be the guy but he has to make all his kicks just like before
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:11 pm Read a few things that made sense. Piniero struggles with the off/on taking turns crap. Ears want to give him a couple weeks as “the guy” to see how he does with consistency.
Pretty much this. I think the Bears are probably pretty committed to him at this point.

They are in a bit of a pickle because if he stinks, the bye week would be a good time to make a change. But... the bye week is the week after the Bears would owe the Raiders a pick.

So unless they make a change in the last wave of cuts, he's probably the kicker for the 2019 season.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Nah, 7th round picks aren't something you clutch on to if you have a problem to address on a playoff calibre team. If he's struggling after Week 4, we make a move, 7th round pick be damned.

It's all about who becomes available (although, with the Ravens guy gone I'm not sure who would be an obvious upgrade), and most importantly how Piniero performs.

For the life of me I don't know why we haven't brought in Matt Bryant, at least to kick the tires and see what he has.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am Nah, 7th round picks aren't something you clutch on to if you have a problem to address on a playoff calibre team. If he's struggling after Week 4, we make a move, 7th round pick be damned.

It's all about who becomes available (although, with the Ravens guy gone I'm not sure who would be an obvious upgrade), and most importantly how Piniero performs.

For the life of me I don't know why we haven't brought in Matt Bryant, at least to kick the tires and see what he has.
Bears have said a few times this offseason that they want to solve the kicker situation internally with somebody younger who doesn't put a band aid on the position. Plus it's more financially viable to lock up a reliable kicker before they realize they're good and want to get Gould money.
Middleguard
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:16 pm
UOK wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:11 pm Read a few things that made sense. Piniero struggles with the off/on taking turns crap. Ears want to give him a couple weeks as “the guy” to see how he does with consistency.
This is my read of the situation. It's one thing to build mental fortitude or whatever, but this has been a circus for awhile and it's time to give one of these guys some time to settle in and normalize a bit before the season starts. I am sure they are still scouring the waiver wire and all that and his job isnt set in stone, but enough was enough.
Wouldn't it make similar sense to settle on a long snapper now as well?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Pineiro is my guy going forward. That said, I wouldn't be upset to see Joey Slye brought in when he gets cut. Dude is swole.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:53 am
dplank wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am Nah, 7th round picks aren't something you clutch on to if you have a problem to address on a playoff calibre team. If he's struggling after Week 4, we make a move, 7th round pick be damned.

Bears have said a few times this offseason that they want to solve the kicker situation internally with somebody younger who doesn't put a band aid on the position. Plus it's more financially viable to lock up a reliable kicker before they realize they're good and want to get Gould money.
But....ummmm, what if he isn't good? We just throw away a potential super bowl season trying to scimp a couple pennies on the PK position?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Madness at 43 Yards: The Bears Kicker Competition Through the Eyes of Those Who Lived It

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/21/chica ... dy-pineiro

long article but a good read
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Thanks for sharing that article. It's entertaining and thought provoking. It does make you question a bit the way the Bears have dwelled on the negative past.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Kohl sounds like a bag, huh?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:30 am Kohl sounds like a bag, huh?

Yeah, that was a bit disconcerting to read. Leave it to the Bears to hire an asshole, but if that asshole finds the team a kicker, so be it.
Xee
Site Admin

Granted, this quote was from unidentified "sources" but it still stood out to me:
But several sources active in the kicking community say Parkey is clearly better than anyone the Bears brought in this offseason.
Hope there's not any truth to that.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Parkey may be better to some people in the kicking world. But proof is in the pudding. Remember the Detroit game where he missed both FG's and 2 of the 4 extra points? I bet most guys they brought in could have managed that. Or the fact that he makes the OT kick in Miami, we get a first round bye and never see the Iggles in the play-offs. He had a shit year and there is no reason to believe he was going to fix it.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The fact that the double-doink was tipped at the line was on him too. I hate reading about that as an excuse. There's a chance that he flat out kicked it too low.
Xee
Site Admin

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:20 pm The fact that the double-doink was tipped at the line was on him too. I hate reading about that as an excuse. There's a chance that he flat out kicked it too low.
No argument about Parkey. I know this is completely irrational, but it feels like there had to be some bad juju around him for him to hit the goal post 6 times in the season.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I can't find the article, but I think I read that in Cleveland he hit uprights like 5 times too. If you get extra points for hitting the poles, he would be a HOFer.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The joke about him practicing at a park and aiming for a pole may actually have some merit.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I found the solution to our problems.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/carli-ll ... sbJeU4Slkf

Carli Lloyd kicked a 55 yard field goal. Can women be on an NFL roster?

And an obvious side benefit....she's kinda hot!

Now granted, she's no Shae Peppler, but who is?
G08
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:13 pm Granted, this quote was from unidentified "sources" but it still stood out to me:
But several sources active in the kicking community say Parkey is clearly better than anyone the Bears brought in this offseason.
This bothered me as well, but the dude hasn't gotten a sniff from the rest of the NFL, so fuck them.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:20 pm
Xee wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:13 pm Granted, this quote was from unidentified "sources" but it still stood out to me:

This bothered me as well, but the dude hasn't gotten a sniff from the rest of the NFL, so fuck them.
"unidentified" sources, as in a reporter thinking hey if I say this it will stir the pot.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

That article is literally a bunch of human beings crying because it wasn't the normal process . Look human beings in general hate change. Add that to an environment that's so openly dog eat dog people are not going to be happy and will put excuses in the way of why they failed.

Nagy is unique he does things differently. He does things that when they go well he is seen as a genius. When they go bad it's just a stick to beat him with.
Like the pre season. If we have a disaster year and go 8-8 the beat and such will bleat on about it was pre season where we failed. Jim Miller will bleat on about Mitch not getting enough rep's in the pre season to get into a consistent rhythm yada yada yada

This ain't the bears ma daddy grew up with and I LOVE IT .
Have a great day
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Parkey may "technically" be more talented than the guys they brought in, but that doesn't equal "better".
G08
Hall of Famer

So... Adam Vinatieri is the gold standard when it comes to kickers, right?

Has anyone looked at his career numbers?

Or gone year-by-year?

My point being, let's all pump the breaks a bit on our kid Eddie Piñeiro. I hope he makes every kick just like anyone else, but as Coach Nagy has said, there isn't a kicker on the planet that hasn't missed a kick. Let this 23 year old kid work in his craft and hope that we found someone who will be here for the foreseeable future.

Sugashane
Player of the Month

I think the "unidentified source" was John Fox. He's a bitter asshole, so only he or a divisional rival's fan would believe that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:16 pm So... Adam Vinatieri is the gold standard when it comes to kickers, right?

Or gone year-by-year?

My point being, let's all pump the breaks a bit on our kid Eddie Piñeiro. I hope he makes every kick just like anyone else, but as Coach Nagy has said, there isn't a kicker on the planet that hasn't missed a kick. Let this 23 year old kid work in his craft and hope that we found someone who will be here for the foreseeable future.
Vinatieri's Numbers:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... tada01.htm

84.3% on FGs and 97.9% on PATs.

Kinda like the Bartman incident with the Cubs instead of digging deeper at the problem it's fashionable to blame the exact moment. Yes, Bartman needed to not be a clueless Cubs fan and not have his head up his ass. However, a million other people would've done the same thing and there were plenty of opportunities to win that game afterwards. Had Dusty Baker not left Mark Prior out there, had Alex Gonzalez not screwed up the double play or if after Alou's temper tantrum had Dusty Baker called timeout and just talked to the guys, I think the Cubs would've recovered and would've won that game. There was also game 7 the Cubs could've won.

Same thing with the Bears. It's fashionable to blame the guy who fucked up in the critical moment. In this case Parkey. How about not having Burton out there? Only scoring 15 points against the defending champs? The last drive the Eagles had when they scored that TD? Or let's get really nuts and say that if Kyle Fuller catches the INT from Rodgers in week 1 and we win that game, we have a first round bye and never even have to worry about the Parkey moment? Or what if we didn't shit the bed in Miami or against the Giants? We get a first round bye and maybe even home field throughout.

So this whole thing with the damn kicker is everybody's fault. It's a TEAM sport.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I can't speak for everyone else, but my view is that Parkey had a bad YEAR not just a bad game. People who think we over reacted to one game are wrong, he's still be a Bear if he had a good year and just missed that one kick.

76% FG, 30th in the league. He was 70% from 30-39 yds, that is ATROCIOUS. He missed 3 extra points on top of it. Then topped it off with I think the biggest playoff miss in franchise history? Maybe there's another one I'm not remembering, but seems like it.

That's about as bad a year as you can have for a kicker.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:16 pm So... Adam Vinatieri is the gold standard when it comes to kickers, right?

Or gone year-by-year?
Yes, and here's a fascinating couple numbers about that:

Adam Vinatieri

Career FG avg: 84%
Worst full season: 74%

Cody Parkey

Career FG avg: 84%
Worst full season 77%
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
WP.1
Player of the Month

Vikings Vedvik first kick FG 43y missed

next FG 54y missed
UOK
Site Admin

Pineiro goes 2/2, one from 21 and one from 58, as well as an XP.