Kyle Long throws helmet, vomits, drama ensues.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Kyle Long ejected from Bears practice after pulling off Jalen Dalton’s helmet and swinging it at the rookie

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html

After what had been a calm stay in Bourbonnais for most of training camp, the Bears have had a series of temper flare-ups over their last three practices.

On Wednesday night, in an under-the-lights mock game at Halas Hall, guard Kyle Long was ejected after attacking defensive lineman Jalen Dalton. During a dust-up in the trenches, Long pulled Dalton’s helmet off and began swinging it angrily at the undrafted rookie, connecting several times, it appeared, in Dalton’s shoulder area.

Long eventually tossed Dalton’s helmet across the field and toward the sideline and was promptly benched for the remainder of the night.

That fracas came a day after receiver Javon Wims threw punches at cornerback Prince Amukamara during what had been the first true fight on the field since training camp opened at Olivet Nazarene University three weeks ago.

“(Tuesday) to me was a little bit more of a pillow fight,” Bears coach Matt Nagy said. “Today, I thought, was a little bit disappointing. … We talk about it as a team. That kind of stuff we just don’t do. At some point in time we have to prove that we’re a mature team.

“We are. I’ve been saying it you guys for the longest time. We have a bunch of high-character people. Now it starts with us as coaches making sure we lead these guys the right way. And we also have to make sure that they understand that that can’t happen. That just can’t happen.”

Long was not available to reporters after Wednesday’s practice
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 am
Kyle Long ejected from Bears practice after pulling off Jalen Dalton’s helmet and swinging it at the rookie

On Wednesday night, in an under-the-lights mock game at Halas Hall, guard Kyle Long was ejected after attacking defensive lineman Jalen Dalton. During a dust-up in the trenches, Long pulled Dalton’s helmet off and began swinging it angrily at the undrafted rookie, connecting several times, it appeared, in Dalton’s shoulder area.

Long eventually tossed Dalton’s helmet across the field and toward the sideline and was promptly benched for the remainder of the night.

Bears coach Matt Nagy said. “Today, I thought, was a little bit disappointing. … We talk about it as a team. That kind of stuff we just don’t do. At some point in time we have to prove that we’re a mature team.
Long loses it and goes nuts with a teammate at least once per training camp, sometimes more.

I'm glad he's not really one of the leaders of the offense anymore.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Oh, Kyle... come on bud.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kind of ridiculous on Long's part. He should be above that shit. Disappointing to say the least.
Umbali
MVP

Well its not breaking your teammates jaw i guess lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Xee
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:54 am Kind of ridiculous on Long's part. He should be above that shit. Disappointing to say the least.
Agreed. There's no excuse for this. I get that things can get chippy, but c'mon, you're a professional. A rookie shouldn't be able to get under your skin if that's what happened.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:24 pm
Otis Day wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:54 am Kind of ridiculous on Long's part. He should be above that shit. Disappointing to say the least.
Agreed. There's no excuse for this. I get that things can get chippy, but c'mon, you're a professional. A rookie shouldn't be able to get under your skin if that's what happened.
It's easy to say that from a keyboard but who knows what happened. Maybe the rookie was cocky and was doing something, maybe the rookie was desperate to impress and did something dangerous that could have injured Kyle or maybe Kyle was just being a dick that is sick of training camp and ready to go full out.

Kyle being a veteran, albeit a fiery one, and an all out good dude would have me tending to think that the rookie most likely did something really stupid, multiple times, and that we are never going to hear actually what it was because it will be handled internally.

Regardless, it shouldn't have happened, but it did and it's over.
wab
Mod

Eh, the thing with Long doesn't bother me. Spend half a summer beating on each other and you start to get a little pissy
Xee
Site Admin

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 am

It's easy to say that from a keyboard but who knows what happened.
. . . this is an internet-based forum. The only way I can say things is from a keyboard. And did qualify my statement with an "if that's what happened."
Regardless, it shouldn't have happened, but it did and it's over.
So, in other words, exactly what I said in my post?

Again, I get training camp fights happen every year, but it's one thing to push each other around and cuss each other out and an entirely different thing to beat someone with a helment. There is no game-situation that can happen that justifies that.
UOK
Site Admin

My main worry is that Long got a nasty concussion (thus the vomiting). The helmet throwing thing is a bitch move but I don't think Long would just do that for no good reason. Rookie may have crossed a line. Granted there's no real line that justifies using a helmet as a weapon, but still. Keep an open mind for now.
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:56 am My main worry is that Long got a nasty concussion (thus the vomiting). The helmet throwing thing is a bitch move but I don't think Long would just do that for no good reason. Rookie may have crossed a line. Granted there's no real line that justifies using a helmet as a weapon, but still. Keep an open mind for now.
To your point, another symptom of a concussion is "irritability and other personality changes". So I stand corrected, that could be an explanation for it.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I'm sure there's probably a lot more than we will know so hard to speculate, but at same time how many times did Long lose it on field and cost us a penalty in the game? Last year seemed like first time he didn't have one. I know he's a fiery leader, but not surprised that he did this.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 am

It's easy to say that from a keyboard but who knows what happened. Maybe the rookie was cocky and was doing something, maybe the rookie was desperate to impress and did something dangerous that could have injured Kyle....
Yes, guys shouldn't get in fights. But as Nagy also likes to say, every situation's different. And we weren't there. I'm sure one of us ignoramuses could come up with several things that the youngster could've done to justify Long going off. So it's really hard for me to get too judgy over such things.

The most damning part for KL was that Nagy was pretty clear in his presser that he was disappointed with Long's behavior. I was a bit surprised by that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This is one of those things. You have a bunch of guys going up against each other everyday trying to prove themselves and really just wanting to get into a game so they can let loose. As much as I dislike Kyle Long because I think he's massively overrated this isn't surprising.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:51 am Eh, the thing with Long doesn't bother me. Spend half a summer beating on each other and you start to get a little pissy
This happens every year. The players get to a point where the competitive drive is back in full force, but they can't go full hog on their opponent yet. I think it means their now ready for the regular season. BRING ON THE PACKERS!!
Richie
MVP

The level that Long took it to sucks...

But it's still a "whatever" moment for me. One that we won't even remember in a month, unless somebody happens to bring it up.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The way Nagy referred to it and Long getting left behind makes it pretty clear that the staff considers Long at fault.

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:20 am The way Nagy referred to it and Long getting left behind makes it pretty clear that the staff considers Long at fault.
Agreed, after hearing Nagy's presser on the situation there's not much doubt. And it's not the first time Long has gotten into it during camp. A stupid moment by a good player that will be forgotten before long. Week 1 can't come soon enough!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Our right guard is in the headlines too much. We need him to stay healthy and well-behaved for longer stretches if we're supposed to support him getting paid $9m next year let alone extended past that.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:10 am Our right guard is in the headlines too much. We need him to stay healthy and well-behaved for longer stretches if we're supposed to support him getting paid $9m next year let alone extended past that.
I doubt he's on the books after this season. I hate pondering the thought of the Bears without him, but there's younger, cheaper, more durable dudes out there that can play at least as well as him. He's not even the best guard on the team any longer.

Whitehair will be taking that money.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It's such a tough call because I have no doubt that in real life Kyle's an extremely good dude, supportive teammate, team leader, etc... But he's got that Ndamukong Suh brain worm where he cant turn the aggression off and it's aggravating as hell. He's had his share of after the whistle penalties here on top of these stupid training camp scuffles.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Remember a few years back when a fight broke out during a Rams game and he nearly kicked a downed Rams player and his brother had to run out on the the field to stop him from going Full Metal Jacket?

I haven't seen much evolution since then.

I've also grown tired of him retaliating on opposing players when they cheap shot our QB's. Instead of getting a 15 yard penalty, due to his actions, we get off-setting penalties and we play the down over. Always nice when the opposing defenses gets to take free shots on our players with no repercussions.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I am sure I'm in the minority but I dont mind it at all. The black unicorn throwing fuller by his face mask did, but this doesn't.
Umbali
MVP

I get hating stupid penalties but having an enforcing bad ass lineman is almost a tradition in the NFL. I am not supporting swinging a helmet at a person unless is Rodgers lol..but he did it at shoulder pads i think lol. I want him to be a beast, stay healthy and return to form. Gotta have some fight tho
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I just want him healthy and abusing members of other teams all season

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

tjs
Journeyman

seemed calm, and apologetic, and sincere in his interview. He was very well spoken.

On the last question, he said "I ate too much" (cause of the vomiting). Maybe I'm watching too many mystery dramas recently, but the way he delivered the response didn't seem genuine like the rest of his interview. Probably reading into things.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

tjs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:45 pm seemed calm, and apologetic, and sincere in his interview. He was very well spoken.

On the last question, he said "I ate too much" (cause of the vomiting). Maybe I'm watching too many mystery dramas recently, but the way he delivered the response didn't seem genuine like the rest of his interview. Probably reading into things.
I thought that definitely sounded like a wise guy response. Was surprised the interviewer didn't press for a more serious answer.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well, I was hung over, seems like it would have caused a bigger backlash.