Podcasts

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

What podcasts do you listen too?

You all should listen to crime in sports. It is great, all different sports and very funny.

I listen to numerous podcasts and books. What are your favorites.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Joe Rogan is awesome. I highly recommend that one.

There are various ones that analyze shows that I like such as True Detective or Mindhunter. If you really like a particular show check to see if there's a podcast about it.
UOK
Site Admin

I don't listen religiously anymore to a lot of these, but on any drive longer than 10 minutes I'll usually have a podcast on. Here's what I listen to:
  • Stuff You Should Know - Two normal dudes who discuss any and all subject matter. Been podcasting for 11, 12 years now and have great chemistry. Fun, easygoing listen.
  • The Last Podcast On The Left - it's sometimes a very graiting listen, as the guys can be either too amped up or out of control, but when it's on, it's ON, and the laughs are endless. Have to be in the right mood for it, though.
  • The Joe Rogan Experience - I don't feel like Joe's pod is as good as it used to be, back when his studio was little more than a guest bedroom full of Christmas lights or working group shows between sets at the Ice House, but it's still engaging and intruging. Depends a lot on the guest. I fully endorse any episode that features Joey Diaz.
  • Serial - Of course, Serial. I haven't finished season 3 and barely started season 2, but the quality is outstanding. Season 1 is incredibly engrossing.
  • S-Town - It's a one-off podcast series initially about a murder, but becomes a case study on a bizarre clockmaker in Alabama. I listened to all 8-odd hours in two sittings. Fascinating stuff.
  • Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar - Perfect long-ass road trip fodder, YTJD is an old-timey radio crime serial from yesteryear that has been restored for binging purposes, complete with old-timey ads and such. The curator/host who precedes each episode is a bit of a squirrely shut-in, but the show itself is enjoyable and entertaining.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I agree JRE has lost some of its charm.

I also listen to several other podcasts.

Jocko Willink us great. Military and leadership.

Ben shapiro is a great right podcast. I wish there was a left podcast like this. All the left ones I listen to are bad.

1001 legions mysteries and history , radio lab etc.

I have tried stuff you should know, and the last podcast and voukdht get into it. I'll try again
UOK
Site Admin

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am I agree JRE has lost some of its charm.

I also listen to several other podcasts.

Jocko Willink us great. Military and leadership.

Ben shapiro is a great right podcast. I wish there was a left podcast like this. All the left ones I listen to are bad.

1001 legions mysteries and history , radio lab etc.

I have tried stuff you should know, and the last podcast and voukdht get into it. I'll try again
I'd rather scoop my intestines out with a spork than listen to a single Ben Shapiro podcast, but that's the beauty of podcasts - there is literally something for everyone.

Sometimes I miss doing the BFO Podcast, but I could only do that if it was a part or full-time job. After a few weeks/months of doing it on the side I get burned out and just want my free time back.
wab
Mod

Shapiro's voice irritates me.

My wife listens to this one called My Favorite Murder where they talk about actual murders that have happened, some famous, some obscure. But they approach it with levity and humor...sometimes uncomfortably so. But it's pretty different and interesting. And hilarious at times.
G08
Hall of Famer

I mostly listen to sports podcasts...

Hoge and Jahns is fucking fantastic. Outstanding. If you haven't given it a shot please do so.

My nerdy side listens to Hidden Brain, it discusses aspects of human behavior and how it had changed and formed our current society as it stands today.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

My favorite murder is one I have listened to but not a huge fan. A lot of women like it though.

I like Shapiro, but his speech pattern and tone get annoying. I've tried a bunch of leftist podcasts I like tim Poole in short burst. I just want an intellectually honest and thought out podcast.
Xee
Site Admin

Ooo boy, list time:

• Bears
    • Bears Fans Online - No description required
    • The Chicago Audible
    • Hoge and Jahns
  • Comedy
    • Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend - Conan interviews various celebrities/comedians. Comedy is subjective, but I find him hilarious
  • Drama
    • Blackout - A fictional story following a group of people in a small town after electricty goes away. Imo, it's getting pretty corny and I'm about to drop it but I'm still holding out hope it will get better.
    • Ear Hustle - A podcast partially run by inmates at San Quentin State Prison. Really challenges stereotypes and one of my favorites
    • The Moth - Created by NPR, it's basically just storytellers telling stories. Good for drives in the car
  • Finance
    • The Dough Roller Money Podcast
    • Financial Independence Podcast
    • ChooseFI
  • Gardening
    • Epic Gardening: Daily Growing Tips and Advice
    • The Joe Gardener Show - All about growing vegetables
    • A Way To Garden - Covers vegetables and plants/flowers
    • The Plants We Eat - Each episode covers a specific plant
  • History
    • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - The best history podcast around
  • Military
    • This is War - Veterans share their stories about what war is really like.
  • Politics
    • Common Sense with Dan Carlin - This is as unbiased a podcast you'll find when it comes to politics. It's pretty much been shelved for almost two years now but the past episodes are woth a listen
    • Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill - A far left podcast, I only listen to this when an interesting topic comes up. Unfortunately, just as many far right podcasts, the host just comes off as hostile a lot of the time which does not make me want to listen.
  • Privacy
    • The Complete Privacy and Security - I am a privacy enthusiast, if there is such as thing, and really enjoy this one for that reason
  • Tech
    • Grumpy Old Geeks - A funny look at current tech/security topics
    • Reply All - This kinda defies a category. I would say it is regarding mostly tech-related topics but they actually cover many different areas
  • True Crime
    • Casefile True Crime - After hearing a stories covered by different true crime podcasts, this is the most unbiased and well-researched in my opinion. Just facts and nothing else.
    • Crimetown - Podcast about organized crime. Very high production value and very engaging.
    • Criminal - A light-hearted true crime podcast, if such a thing can exist. Just started listening to this but am enjoying it.
    • Swindled - Really enjoyed this at the beginning but learned to take it with a grain of salt since the podcaster editorializes the stories and adds in color commentary. Would not call it unbiased by any means.
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:04 pm Ooo boy, list time:

• Bears
    • Bears Fans Online - No description required
    • The Chicago Audible
    • Hoge and Jahns
  • Comedy
    • Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend - Conan interviews various celebrities/comedians. Comedy is subjective, but I find him hilarious
  • Drama
    • Blackout - A fictional story following a group of people in a small town after electricty goes away. Imo, it's getting pretty corny and I'm about to drop it but I'm still holding out hope it will get better.
    • Ear Hustle - A podcast partially run by inmates at San Quentin State Prison. Really challenges stereotypes and one of my favorites
    • The Moth - Created by NPR, it's basically just storytellers telling stories. Good for drives in the car
  • Finance
    • The Dough Roller Money Podcast
    • Financial Independence Podcast
    • ChooseFI
  • Gardening
    • Epic Gardening: Daily Growing Tips and Advice
    • The Joe Gardener Show - All about growing vegetables
    • A Way To Garden - Covers vegetables and plants/flowers
    • The Plants We Eat - Each episode covers a specific plant
  • History
    • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - The best history podcast around
  • Military
    • This is War - Veterans share their stories about what war is really like.
  • Politics
    • Common Sense with Dan Carlin - This is as unbiased a podcast you'll find when it comes to politics. It's pretty much been shelved for almost two years now but the past episodes are woth a listen
    • Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill - A far left podcast, I only listen to this when an interesting topic comes up. Unfortunately, just as many far right podcasts, the host just comes off as hostile a lot of the time which does not make me want to listen.
  • Privacy
    • The Complete Privacy and Security - I am a privacy enthusiast, if there is such as thing, and really enjoy this one for that reason
  • Tech
    • Grumpy Old Geeks - A funny look at current tech/security topics
    • Reply All - This kinda defies a category. I would say it is regarding mostly tech-related topics but they actually cover many different areas
  • True Crime
    • Casefile True Crime - After hearing a stories covered by different true crime podcasts, this is the most unbiased and well-researched in my opinion. Just facts and nothing else.
    • Crimetown - Podcast about organized crime. Very high production value and very engaging.
    • Criminal - A light-hearted true crime podcast, if such a thing can exist. Just started listening to this but am enjoying it.
    • Swindled - Really enjoyed this at the beginning but learned to take it with a grain of salt since the podcaster editorializes the stories and adds in color commentary. Would not call it unbiased by any means.
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is kind of a gold standard for podcasting in general. It's almost exhausting in some cases to listen to the breadth of history he covers, but the quality is outstanding.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I had to stop listening to Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend at bedtime because I kept waking my wife up laughing.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Currently, I'm hooked on the true crime stuff. Insomniac and Atlanta Monster are what I'm listening to at work these days. I'm new to the whole podcast thing, so I'm stoked to go through Xee's list up there and see what other types of podcast I might like.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Crime in sports, small town murder are good true crime.

Time suck, is a catch all that has some awesome true crime occasionally.
wab
Mod

Sword and Scale is a true crime podcast that I listened to a LOT for a while. I don't know if they've continued it, but it was pretty good.

I need to start getting back into podcasts. I spend an hour at least in the car every day...usually in silence because that is the only quiet time I get haha.
Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm Sword and Scale is a true crime podcast that I listened to a LOT for a while. I don't know if they've continued it, but it was pretty good.

I need to start getting back into podcasts. I spend an hour at least in the car every day...usually in silence because that is the only quiet time I get haha.
Nope, that was cancelled. Never listened to it but from what I read, it took a nosedive at the end and after Wondery dropped it, the host went off the deep end himself. Just started ranting and going after other podcasters on Twitter for no apparent reason

I'd recommend Casefile: True Crime in its place as the format is supposedly very similar.
malk
Head Coach

No Chapo fans?

I've had to strip mine down a little as my commute is currently a 7 minute walk rather than an hour's drive...

Lots of politics and economics and strangely no sports.

Citations Needed is fantastic on media criticism.
The Appeal Podcast is on prison abolition and criminal justice. Frequently heartbreaking, always excellent.
Aufhebunga Bunga is an insighful look at politics at the End of the End of History.
Fully Automated is a part time project from an IR Prof. Infrequent but really, really good.
Dead Pundits Society has lots of in depth pol theory but probably needs a politics background to get into.
Michael and Us started as a Michael Moore themed irony podcast of two Canadians watching his oeuvre again and now is then watching, mainly, bad documentaries.
Season of the Bitch is a female only left politics cast with great interviewees on a range of topics. Worth dipping into if you've ever thought what are these crazy feminists on about with their Sex Work is Work stuff. Best to hear from the horses mouth!
Red Scare is, well, very new York and extremely online left. Maybe give that a miss (though the episode on the Zizek Peterson debate with Amber a'lee Frost is brilliant.

Quite a bit of economics stuff, MMT focussed.

The MMT podcast has great explainers and interviews.
Money on the Left goes into amazing detail but stretches my comprehention at times.
Left Out is similar to the above, worth it just for the interviews with Erik Olin Wright (RIP).

I also really enjoyed season one of Marvel's Wolverine, the long night. Season 2 is nearly finished and I've got it queued up.

Oh and Ghibliotheque reviews all of Miyazaki's films and is a lovely calming listen if you like that kind of thing.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
skamanfrank
Journeyman

This is a great thread, plenty of inspiration in here. I will be adding a few mentioned above imminently.

NFL:
  • Around the NFL
  • Inside the Huddle (Sky Sports UK)
  • Dave Dameshek Football Podcast
  • Adam Schefter Podcast (meh...)
  • Peter King Podcast (also meh...)
  • Ross Tucker Football Podcast (Short but sweet, daily in season)
  • Rapsheet and Friends
  • The Thomahawk Show (Joe Thomas and Andrew Hawkins, NFL wide, not just Browns)
  • The Pat McAfee Show
General Sports:
  • Pardon My Take
  • The Business of Sports with Andrew Brandt (really good for a different look at sports/issues)
  • Box of Neutrals (Aussie guys talking F1 racing)
  • World's Fittest Podcast (Brit guy called Ross Edgeley who does some bonkers endurance challenges)
General/Comedy:
  • The Broadcast
  • The Infinite Monkey Cage (BBC Radio 4 show)
  • Star Talk (Neil de Grasse Tyson. Cohost is annoying as hell though)
  • Star Talk Allstars (as above)
  • Greg James- That's What he Said (BBC Radio 1 breakfast show host daily podcast)
  • Jeselnik and Rosenthal Vanity Project (Anthony Jeselnik and his mate Greg who is one of the guys on the Around the NFL podcast)
  • Joe Rogan Experience (less often, don't tend to keep up with it just wait for a guest I'm interested in)
Music:
  • The Throwback Podcast (host of the Around the NFL podcast talking music with his buddies)
  • Hospital Records Podcast (small record label in London that I like a lot)
UOK
Site Admin

Fiancee and I listened to a few episodes of this on the drive to/from Tennessee this past weekend - the Jonestown trio, the Vampire of Krakow, and the Weepy Voice Killer. All excellent. It's odd to be so captivated by just an Aussie speaking with grim eloquence about events that transpired and little else, but we thoroughly enjoyed it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:11 am
Fiancee and I listened to a few episodes of this on the drive to/from Tennessee this past weekend - the Jonestown trio, the Vampire of Krakow, and the Weepy Voice Killer. All excellent. It's odd to be so captivated by just an Aussie speaking with grim eloquence about events that transpired and little else, but we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks for the tip on the True Crime podcast guys. I downloaded the Jonestown ones today and am halfway thru the first part. Great podcast.