Bears lose comp pick for Amos thanks to Kevin White

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don't understand how Kevin White's performance with the Cardinals impacts the comp pick for Amos.
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/ ... 0/aftptfg/
Amos' whopper deal with the Packers currently puts the Bears in play, as it helps offset their biggest additions (Buster Skrine, Mike Davis, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix). But as Korte points out, the situation remains especially fluid in Chicago with several outgoing vets who are helping the Bears remain in the black (Eric Kush in Cleveland, Kevin White in Arizona and Josh Bellamy with the New York Jets) still needing to earn spots with their new teams this summer.

If, say, White doesn’t stick with the Cardinals, it could mean that the Bears would need to make a corresponding cut — HHCD and Davis are the two hypotheticals mentioned by overthecap — to maintain their grip on a potential comp pick. Korte also posits Chicago could potentially open up an additional, fifth-round pick for losing Bryce Callahan by making one of the aforementioned cuts.

That would seem unlikely, especially in the case of the projected Week 1 starting SS Clinton-Dix. Although the drafting of David Montgomery theoretically could relegate Davis to a reserve and special teams role, the Bears promised him $2 million and hardly are in position to waste it.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

:censor:

Everyone's been expecting that comp. Bears can't afford fewer picks.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

If it came down to having to cut Haha or Davis to save a mid-round comp pick next year, I'm thinking the answer is "losing a pick sucks, but we're trying to win this year". Am I looking at it wrong?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 am If it came down to having to cut Haha or Davis to save a mid-round comp pick next year, I'm thinking the answer is "losing a pick sucks, but we're trying to win this year". Am I looking at it wrong?
Not in my estimation, no.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
LacertineForest
MVP

Umbali
MVP

god this comp pick shit confuses me lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
UOK
Site Admin

To get the 4th rounder for Adrian Amos back, they'd need to cut before Week 10 one of Buster Skrine, Cordarrelle Patterson, Mike Davis, or Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

Fuck.
G08
Hall of Famer

What if another team is stupid enough to sign Kevin White?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:33 pm What if another team is stupid enough to sign Kevin White?
There are no listed rules on compensatory picks. It’s a committee judgment done in secret by owners after the season.

Must be to satisfy their Illuminati/Freemason/Panama-Papers-Benefactor tenancies.

Anyway, OverTheCap has puzzled out the system gradually, apparently accurately enough to be considered gospel by nearly every major sports beat.

Here’s a good article with virtually everything one needs to know:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/2/15/169 ... -picks-nfl
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Kevin White....man what a bust. Shame for the kid but hey at least his rookie deal has set him up for life.

NY Giants will take a punt on this kid for sure.
Have a great day
wab
Mod

I'm not super concerned about this particular comp pick. They are a nice byproduct of being good. They will come consistently as long as the Bears stay consistently good.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:36 am I'm not super concerned about this particular comp pick. They are a nice byproduct of being good. They will come consistently as long as the Bears stay consistently good.
When your poor 50 cent (not the rapper) is important. When you lack draft capital a comp pick is that much more important. I'd sure love to have it but I'll settle for not having to see Kevin White articles every month
Have a great day
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:42 pm To get the 4th rounder for Adrian Amos back, they'd need to cut before Week 10 one of Buster Skrine, Cordarrelle Patterson, Mike Davis, or Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

Fuck.
I'll guess that's good-bye to Cord if it is that easy to secure a 4th. Unless he's really contributing in a remarkable way as a KR and gadget guy. The Bears are stacked at WR and RB. So if Cord isn't lighting it up what's the loss? I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I like him in interviews, and seems like a good team player. But if the Bears can lock in a 4th...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:42 pm To get the 4th rounder for Adrian Amos back, they'd need to cut before Week 10 one of Buster Skrine, Cordarrelle Patterson, Mike Davis, or Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

Fuck.
I would trade Mike Davis for a 4th round pick. Adios.

We just signed Caldwell too.
IE
Hall of Famer

Really? I personally think RB depth is only solid because of Davis. Mike Davis was a very deliberate signing, with a skill set Nagy wants/needs. Even with Monty on board, that depth is critical. That's why I really only Patterson appears somewhat disposable at this point. Of course by week 10 the entire picture could change.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Fuck.

It would be to keep Ryan Nall. Your idea is an interesting concept, since we are kind of desperate for draft picks. RBs are pretty easy to come by.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

From a talent perspective, the Bears could arguably do without them. However, both just signed, with signing bonuses and guaranteed salary.
You'd have to give Davis 3M dollars (and cap room) to go away without ever playing a game and Patterson 5M.
They'd have to be healthy, so bad they're unusable, and cancerous to make that happen.

(I doubt either will back in 2020, though, when their dead money drops low and you can get some cap relief from releasing. Sadly, by cutting them instead of having them on 1yr deals, you get no compensation, though.)

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Why would we lose the pick instead of it just becoming a lower round pick?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:01 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:05 pm

It would be to keep Ryan Nall. Your idea is an interesting concept, since we are kind of desperate for draft picks. RBs are pretty easy to come by.
We traded Howard for a 6th. Why not cut Davis for a 4th?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It’s definitely complicated. My understanding is you don’t really get a pick for a particular guy. You qualify for a pick(s) if you have a net loss of meaningful players.

If you qualify, then they figure how many picks at what level, choosing the 32 ‘best’ claims to compensation.

If you don’t qualify, you get nothing…unless there aren’t 32 compensatories to award. Then they fill the remaining spots by giving 7th round picks to the worst team, next worst, etc, until they do hit 32. Some years this happens, some not. (The Bears’s record won’t be bad enough for that to matter, though.)

With White on the street instead of a roster, he won’t count as a meaningful loss, and apparently the Bears won’t have a net loss anymore.

Sugashane
Player of the Month

If one of Patterson, Skrine, Haha, or Davis has sucked for a few weeks then I'd cut them, sure. But only if there is depth behind them.

Patterson is an elite returner. Brady didn't beat Chicago last year, Patterson did. Our kick returns were pretty bad last year overall. I don't see why he doesn't dramatically help that. Add in he also is depth at 2 positions. I'm not betting a Super Bowl on all my WRs and RBs staying healthy.

If Montgomery goes down then Davis is getting the lion's share of runs. If you cut him now and THEN Montgomery goes down are you putting Cohen out there for 15 carries a game and limiting his usefulness elsewhere?

Callahan went down and we had McManis fill in. He did well enough, his broken plays often being covered by an elite passrush and top talent around him. But when it came down to one play, who did PHI attack? You don't cut a starting NB for a 4th when he may perform well, period. Or does anyone think McManis was moved to S due to Pace and Nagy's faith in him to hold the fort there? We have young talent but I don't want a rookie being forced into action and costing big plays because of someone trying to be too smart for their own good. That sounds like an Emery move.

Could Bush hold the SS spot down this year? I think so. But he isn't a ballhawk and if Jackson goes down again then we have McManis filling in there if Haha is gone. While Haha isn't amazing at all, I like the sound of Haha going to FS and Bush coming up at SS much more than McManis and Bush holding the fort down. Especially if Pagano is gong to blitz more and put the safties on islands more than Fangio too.

People value draft picks too much, especially midround ones IMO. Yes he hit it out of the park with guys like Jackson and Cohen, and may have another steal in Ridley. But Pace also got Langford, Iggy, Hal and Kwiat all in the 4th and you wouldn't risk a Super Bowl over any of those guys. And there are a LOT less of the major talents in the 4th than there is roster filler talents.

Drafts are unknowns, at least with the guys he has signed this year there is more film and data to let the organization know what is expected of them. Frankly I think his overall FA signings and trades have been more impressive than his draft history. Hitting on Tru and Smith isn't that impressive a feat to me, he had the pick of any QB and everyone knew Smith was super talented, it was just HOW good he was gong to be and how valuable an ILB would be Floyd has been decent but was a bust at EDGE who got saved by the Mack trade and found a role he does well - off ball.

Let him do what he has done the last few years, fill the roster with as much talent as he can by getting the best value of his contracts, not by outspending everyone. When there are few holes he can draft on high potential and if they bust then it isn't a cataclysmic loss. We aren't losing Marshall and drafting White at 7 again, we are talking about a 4th rounder vs a slim chance of risking a Super Bowl berth IMO. Maybe one sucks and is cut so it is addition by subtraction twice over, but if they are playing well enough to even be good depth you keep them all.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Am I the only one who think's its also damn right dis- respectful to the players just to cut them mid way through a season for a comp draft pick? Like that sort of stuff goes around the league and doesn't sit well.
Have a great day
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfanuk wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 am Am I the only one who think's its also damn right dis- respectful to the players just to cut them mid way through a season for a comp draft pick? Like that sort of stuff goes around the league and doesn't sit well.
In the same way that a busted draft pick or FA signing who still keeps the contract money is being disrespectful I suppose so.