Kicking Kompetition

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Big game for Eddie..2 FG..with a 58 yarder..2 XPM..all straight..nice KOs..

I think he's gonna be a keeper..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Eddy had a great game. I hope we see it Soldier, too.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
WP.1
Player of the Month

58y what a beauty! straight vertical line down the middle

now same at home.
Middleguard
MVP

At home he's going to have to learn to read the wind. And if they haven't already, Bears need to put some footballs into a freezer and give him practice kicking those.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

https://mavensports.io/bears/news/if-th ... F1IAPqK1w/
Gene Chamberlain

If the Bears didn't know what they were doing with their 9-man kicking derby in April, why did the one man who survived that contest to compete for the Bears' job get brought in by the one team in the NFL that everyone claims knows what they're doing when it comes to kickers? Something for SI to think about. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... lliott-fry
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:42 pm https://mavensports.io/bears/news/if-th ... F1IAPqK1w/
Gene Chamberlain

If the Bears didn't know what they were doing with their 9-man kicking derby in April, why did the one man who survived that contest to compete for the Bears' job get brought in by the one team in the NFL that everyone claims knows what they're doing when it comes to kickers? Something for SI to think about. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... lliott-fry
Ummm... To ensure that the guy they're going to keep doesn't get hurt in the 4th preseason game?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

That 58 yarder was fucking beautiful.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:14 pm I'm calling it right now. Pineiro is the opening day starting kicker.
I'm just gonna put this right here. From the end of July.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yes, you and 90% of Bears fans everywhere correctly chose between the two kickers. Congrats! LMAO....

Sadly, I was in the 10%. Almost no one thought Fry would win that battle, except me lol...
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I think wab was on the Fry train with you. I know I said Pineiro when we traded for him (because we traded for him). But it sure wasn't evident to me that Pineiro was more accurate. Only that he had more leg. I wouldn't have been that surprised or upset if we had chosen Fry instead.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Pineiro had the better accuracy through out camp I thought. So this wasn't really surprising to me.

Better accuracy + leg cannon = winner
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:23 am Yes, you and 90% of Bears fans everywhere correctly chose between the two kickers. Congrats! LMAO....

Sadly, I was in the 10%. Almost no one thought Fry would win that battle, except me lol...
Hey! I'm seldom right about anything. Don't piss in my Cheerios. :)
UOK
Site Admin

Another fun benefit of having a kicker with a powerful leg - dust off the ol' Fair Catch Kick. Maybe snooker 3 points before halftime.
EricTighe
MVP

Think I may be grabbing my rosary beads again this year everytime we try a FG.
Hope he can make me put them away for good.
G08
Hall of Famer

Ladies and gentlemen, your week 1 kicker!

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Wasn't this Vedvik guy someone we had discussed here? Looks like the Bears made the right move

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... t-and-see/

"Vedvik’s two preseason outings didn’t make it clear that he’d provide that upgrade. He missed two field goals last week and missed his first try against the Bills on Thursday night before making one later in the game. "

"Vedvik also punted in Thursday night’s game, but that didn’t go all that well either. One of his kicks was returned 79 yards for a touchdown by Marcus Murphy, who didn’t have to do much to avoid a weak tackle attempt by Vedvik on his way to the end zone."
BR0D1E86
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 am Wasn't this Vedvik guy someone we had discussed here? Looks like the Bears made the right move

"Vedvik’s two preseason outings didn’t make it clear that he’d provide that upgrade. He missed two field goals last week and missed his first try against the Bills on Thursday night before making one later in the game. "

"Vedvik also punted in Thursday night’s game, but that didn’t go all that well either. One of his kicks was returned 79 yards for a touchdown by Marcus Murphy, who didn’t have to do much to avoid a weak tackle attempt by Vedvik on his way to the end zone."
It’s a little early to call with him, but yeah we were supposedly talking to them about a trade as well.

Kickers are so damned finicky, you never know when they’re suddenly going to get the yips, then snap right back into it.
G08
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 am Wasn't this Vedvik guy someone we had discussed here? Looks like the Bears made the right move

Yup... reports are we offered a conditional 5th and the Vikings offered at 5th so the Ravens traded him there. What's funny is that reportedly we were pissed that we didn't get a deal done.

If you ask me -- right now? -- we got lucky the Vikings were desperate.

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 am

Yup... reports are we offered a conditional 5th and the Vikings offered at 5th so the Ravens traded him there. What's funny is that reportedly we were pissed that we didn't get a deal done.

Definitely seems like we lucked out then! Imagine the shitstorm if we had traded a non conditional pick for the guy and he came in to miss 3 kicks?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 amIf you ask me -- right now? -- we got lucky the Vikings were desperate.
THIS

I was one of the people pumping up Vedvik. But a 5th is just too much.
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Panthers put Gano on IR, so safe to say Slye is their kicker for the year.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Anyone else glad we didn’t give up a 5th for Kaare Vedvik, since he just got cut?
Sugashane
Player of the Month

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 am
G08 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 am

Definitely seems like we lucked out then! Imagine the shitstorm if we had traded a non conditional pick for the guy and he came in to miss 3 kicks?
He immediately goes back to punting to compete with Pat if that happens IMO. Try to get something out of a shitstorm.
UOK
Site Admin

Nagy said that Pineiro will kick vs Green Bay. So he’s the man for at least a week.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Pineiro is the next Gould. Book it.

I might be a liter deep in Pendleton too.
IE
Hall of Famer

I like Eddie - "Pineiro is Dinero" or "Eddie Money" are my two nicknames for him. Go ahead and use them - I won't charge nothing. LOL. I think he'll stick and be a long-timer... just please practice at Soldier Field, dude.

I think the Vikings are going to get double-screwed here by overreacting to a young kicker having a bad day. Vedvik does NOT suck - he got "Carlson-ed" by a team that doesn't know how to handle kickers. And thank goodness the Vikes are so bad at assessing kickers, because their mid-handling of Carlson after the Pack game last year is what got us Eddie in the first place.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm totally using "Eddie Money" now. Thanks.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:58 am I like Eddie - "Pineiro is Dinero" or "Eddie Money" are my two nicknames for him. Go ahead and use them - I won't charge nothing. LOL. I think he'll stick and be a long-timer... just please practice at Soldier Field, dude.

I think the Vikings are going to get double-screwed here by overreacting to a young kicker having a bad day. Vedvik does NOT suck - he got "Carlson-ed" by a team that doesn't know how to handle kickers. And thank goodness the Vikes are so bad at assessing kickers, because their mid-handling of Carlson after the Pack game last year is what got us Eddie in the first place.
You know what would be funny? If the Vikes picked Vedvik up off the street after trading a R5 pick to get him. :D

WP.1
Player of the Month

next team Jets Vedvik

PAT missed
FG 45y missed
BR0D1E86
MVP

Just a bookkeeping note, it appears the Titans are signing Parkey to a league minimum deal. So the Bears’ dead cap will be reduced by about a half a million bucks.