Was Pineiro a success vs. the Titans?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 16
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Badly shanked an extra point. But made 3 other FGs in the 30's right down the middle.

If you're Pace/Nagy, was that a success? Yes or No?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

When you have kicks in the 30's which includes XPs, they need to be virtually automatic. Nothing about that XP attempt told me he's virtually automatic. So I voted NO. I'm not saying to cut him right now. But I'm also not saying to quit looking for better options.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I voted yes. This was his first kick, after winning the job, at Soldier Field. I think nerves got to him. The other three kicks told me that he righted the ship, and that he's a good kicker. You can't give up so quickly on a young kicker with that kind of leg. It's about development.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Yes it was a success. He bounced back strongly which is what you want to see. No kicker is 100%. Now if he hadn't come back showing the confidence he had and nailed those other kicks I would think differently. Succop, the Titans kicker, missed his first extra point as well kicking to the same uprights(I believe). Preseason is the time to see if he misses a kick how he bounces back and the coaches were able to see that and evaluate it. That is a very important piece of the puzzle. So yes, it was a huge success last night imo

With that said, that doesn't mean you quit looking for other options. I don't even understand why that would be a thought. Pace's entire job is to continue to look for better options at every position.
G08
Hall of Famer

I watched each kick 3 or 4 times because I'm clearly insane... he simply mis-hit the extra point. His foot came in at the wrong angle and hit the ball improperly. Hopefully that won't be an issue moving forward, but we have to remember he's a young kicker and it takes time to really make these mechanics second nature via muscle memory.

Remember:

Robbie Gould was 77.8% his rookie year
Stephen Gostkowski was 76.9% his rookie year
Will Lutz was 82.4% his rookie year

Those three kickers are top 4 ALL TIME in FG accuracy in NFL history.

Side-note: Adam Vinatieri was 77.1% his rookie year
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Middleguard
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:10 am Succop, the Titans kicker, missed his first extra point as well kicking to the same uprights(I believe).
Yes, and at halftime Succop came out to practice EPs in the same direction and doinked one of those. Wind was pretty strong last night. If you watch reruns you can see it better looking at the refs pants cuffs than at goalpost flags.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:55 am I watched each kick 3 or 4 times because I'm clearly insane... he simply mis-hit the extra point. His foot came in at the wrong angle and hit the ball improperly. Hopefully that won't be an issue moving forward, but we have to remember he's a young kicker and it takes time to really make these mechanics second nature via muscle memory.

Remember:

Robbie Gould was 77.8% his rookie year
Stephen Gostkowski was 76.9% his rookie year
Will Lutz was 82.4% his rookie year

Those three kickers are top 4 ALL TIME in FG accuracy in NFL history.

Side-note: Adam Vinatieri was 77.1% his rookie year
And Cody Parkey is 12th all time for FG% in rookie year (min 10 attempts) with 88.9%.

Plus 5 of the top 10 rookie seasons for FG% had a missed XP in the same year.

We're bad at stats as a species. Anything that happens more than 80% of the time we parse as being automatic*. Pineiro has already had too much scrutiny and this season is going to be a nightmare for it.

*Totally made this up lol but I'm confident I could find a study to back it up.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

All Piniero has to do is hit 4 out of 5 kicks and we're good to go. Reporters asked after the game what happened on the XP kick and he quickly spat out "I just missed it." then moved on to the next question. I think he's going to be a fine addition to this young and hungry team.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I think the fact that if he absolutely had to kick a 60 yard FG at the end of an important game.... at least he has a pretty good chance of making it. Parkey may have had some good stats early in his career and isn't a terrible kicker by any means.... but in no world would I even give him a 50/50 chance at a 60 yarder.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I voted yes.

I made a conscious decision to not have a freak out about the kicker anymore. If we do everything else right it won’t come down to the kicker. Yes the shank job on the PAT was so bad it was funny. The ball went practically sideways. OK whatever. The guy went 3 for 3 on FGs. I’m moving on. I can’t make this a weekly thing analyzing every step Pineiro takes.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

could you guys imagine if we traded a 5th rounder for vedvik and then he went and missed his first three field goals?
GSH
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 pm could you guys imagine if we traded a 5th rounder for vedvik and then he went and missed his first three field goals?
i think what would make us extra bitter is that Fry nailed a 48 yarder for the ravens last night too
edit: nevermind, the ratbirds just released Fry.
IE
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 pm could you guys imagine if we traded a 5th rounder for vedvik and then he went and missed his first three field goals?
Buy low; sell high. That kid has talent. If the Vikes release him, I hope the Bears pounce. Like Carlson last year. How great would it be for the Vikes to fuck up and release TWO good kickers.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
DaBears70
Practice Squad

That J.Slye kid in Carolina was very impressive again yesterday though and they aren't gonna keep him and G.Gano. Right now Gano is hurt but pretty sure they expect him to be ready to go for game one.

Edit: Actually he was 1 for 2 which i didn't realize. I thought he made all his kicks yesterday but i guess he missed one but i don't know how long it was but the one he hit was from 59 and would of been good from 69.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The comments about traffic are cracking me up
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:29 pm

The comments about traffic are cracking me up
He should be practicing at Soldier's Field. Glad to see he's taking initiative.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Forget the miss was an XP. At the longer range, they're not the 98% gimmies they used to be.

Bottom line is he hit 3/4 kicks.

Straight off, 75% sounds worse than what you want.
But that included 2 in the 50s and 2 in the 30s. No pro out there is going to do better than 75%, long run, with those kind of distances.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Brad Biggs said that Pineiro had a bad miss like the XP during warm ups too... said he went something like 10/14 overall. To be fair, we don't know if he was playing the angles or testing the wind, but it is what it is. I'm more concerned about the results that mattered on the field.

It's the kid's mechanics... if he comes at the ball wrong he's going to mis-hit it and push it left. Same thing happened with his 48 yarder earlier in the pre-season. I'd like to sit here and say it won't ever happen again, but I can't really do that with someone who is 23 years old and only been kicking since his senior year in high school.

Let him work through the kinks and learn to hone his craft. It's all about routine and muscle memory.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

He kicked in 89% of his preseason kicks. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.