radio: 780AM WBBM
----------------------------------------
CHICAGO BEARS (0-0)
Bears/Packers matchup history
GREEN BAY PACKERS (0-0)
CLICK HERE to join our Bears Fans Online Discord chat!
Buffaloaf
Rookie

I am so amped up for this game.

A bit of a personal side note - I went through a divorce this Spring / Summer and I have decent custody time with my kids. My ex and I negotiated most of it and we are getting along well. On our first meeting to discuss issues, I told her I wanted the kids over at my place for every Bears game. I have my kids at my house all night for opening day and I can't think of a better group of people to watch it with!

Her family (she doesn't care about football and was a Bears fan for my sake while we were married) are all Packers fans. My children are pretty young, but I've been putting in pretty good time on making sure they support the Blue and Orange and they are excited to spend extra time with daddy to watch the Bears!
G08
Hall of Famer

The start of a Super Bowl run (and, God-willing, Championship).

LETS. FUCKING. GO!!!

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I haven't been this amped, or confident about a team, since well ever actually. Closest i've ever been was heading into the 06 season. That year also started against Green Bay and the Bears shut them out on their own turf. This season starts with a statement to the league that the Bears are FOR REAL, Nagy is a top head coach, the defense is all time good and Trubisky is transitioning from talented but raw to just damn good.

Bears win!

34-14
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

That's right G08! LETS. FUCKING. GO!!

This time last year we were excited, but reserved about first year coach Matt Nagy. And then Sept. 1st happened, Mack happened, and shit changed over night.

This year is different. This year is special. The Bears are going to come out and punch Green Bay in the mouth at Soldier Field, and not look back. I think that Rodgers will be running for his life all night. He doesn't have the weapons he once had. His OL is good, but not great. Jimmy Graham is not what he used to be. The addition of Ha-Ha will be a game changer, and our front five are going to wreak havoc on GB all night. I will put it out there right now. The front three of Goldman, Hicks, and Nichols is the best in the NFL. Full stop.

On offense, the Bears are going to have the GB defense confused and turned around backwards. Robinson is going to have a monster game, as will Cohen. Nagy is going full Tyreek Hill with Cohen this year. Out of the backfield, split out wide, in the slot. Everywhere. This year, Robinson is going to be the receiver he was in 2015. Montgomery will make himself known to the league Thursday night.

I don't think this one's close.

Bears - 27
Goon Bay - 13

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

See now... I'm really pumped, but also really nervous. We have no idea what we're in for with the Packers offense. None. So it's almost impossible to game plan for them.
And their defense is on an improving trend. New, really young coach on the road against a good opponent. Tough to pick the Pack here. But I don't see it being a wipeout at all, even if I hope it is.

Bears 24 Packers 20
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

I'm planning to make the Middleguard awards again this year, so get your final score predictions into this thread and every game week's thread.
UOK
Site Admin

Bears 23
Packers 24

Bears go for game winning 2PT at end of regulation and blow it.
tjs
Journeyman

Bears 31 Packers 13
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:48 am Bears 23
Packers 24

sorry i had to UOK
IE
Hall of Famer

I have to admit, it would be SO Bears-y and unsurprising to lose the home opener to a tricky new Pack offense in spite of the Bears being the better team now in every single way except QB and #1 WR. I could see the Pack planning hard to exploit an over-aggressive Bear D who believes it can disrupt Erin Rodgers before they get a chance to execute whatever it is they're going to be trying to do this year. It would be totally Packer-y to draw and screen the heck out of this game, in anticipation of aggression (of course inviting it). Especially considering Pagano, who has a reputation of blitzing and could feel like he has to prove something.

But I'll guess that Pagano knows himself and plays it more straight this game that he will later in the season. Why take excessive risks when your defensive talent is just plain good enough to defend anything they throw at you - even Rodgers? So my prediction is the D stays mostly straight-up and conservative, and the overall quality of the Bear D wins the day fairly handily - avoiding a shootout.

I can't wait to see the Full Monty offense out there - An improved #10, all healthy WRs, and a backfield full of versatile danger. I believe they'll put up 3 TDs on the Pack with at least one FG to boot.

Beloved Bear 24
Pack 20
Last edited by IE on Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm equal parts giddy and nervous.

I believe in this team, but at the same time we've had a history of that blowing up in our collective faces.

But maybe this year will be different. (Can ya tell I'm a Cubs fan too? LOL)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Bears: 34
Packers: 12

Bears start fast and never look back.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I hate those assholes from Green Bay with every atom of my soul. That little town shouldn’t even have a team let alone the favor from the refs and Favre and Rodgers in a row.

It all ends next Thursday.

The Bears are hungry and pissed off after the playoff loss to the Eagles. This is their chance to make a statement not just to the (Fuck The) Packers, but to the division, the idiot sportswriters, and to the league that they are for real.

Rodgers will have no idea where the next blitz and pressure will be coming from. He will be running scared the whole night. Mack, Hicks, Smith and yes even Floyd will be laughing like escaped mental patients knocking that smug asshole on his back for four quarters. My guy Nichols stuffs a couple key runs.

On offense, MY GUY The Chosen One, He Who Shall Not Be Covered, Anthony Miller #17 gets 2 TDs. AR15 gets another. Montgomery gets a TD. Biscuit throws two picks due to opening night jitters.

The revenge begins next Thursday gentlemen. Enjoy.

Bears 34
Fuck The Packers 17
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:48 am Bears 23
Packers 24

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:46 am I have to admit, it would be SO Bears-y and unsurprising to lose the home opener to a tricky new Pack offense in spite of the Bears being the better team now in every single way except QB and #1 WR. I could see the Pack planning hard to exploit an over-aggressive Bear D who believes it can disrupt Erin Rodgers before they get a chance to execute whatever it is they're going to be trying to do this year. It would be totally Packer-y to draw and screen the heck out of this game, in anticipation of aggression (of course inviting it). Especially considering Pagano, who has a reputation of blitzing and could feel like he has to prove something.

But I'll guess that Pagano knows himself and plays it more straight this game that he will later in the season. Why take excessive risks when your defensive talent is just plain good enough to defend anything they throw at you - even Rodgers? So my prediction is the D stays mostly straight-up and conservative, and the overall quality of the Bear D wins the day fairly handily - avoiding a shootout.

I can't wait to see the Full Monty offense out there - An improved #10, all healthy WRs, and a backfield full of versatile danger. I believe they'll put up 3-4 TDs on the Pack with a couple of FG to boot. Since we're fantasizing and it don't cost nothin, I'll guess Eddie gets his pick 6 on Rodgers out of the way right away.

Beloved Bear 34
Pack 20
Are you saying you would take Adams over Robinson?? I'd take that bet all day long. Now that he's two years removed from his knee surgery, we are going to see the 2015 Allen Robinson come back into form. That's 100+ catches and over 1500 yards. He is going to be a monster this year.
Ormazd
MVP

I will be attending my first Bears game Thursday night, and I am confident they won't let me down.

Bears 31
Douchebags 16
BR0D1E86
MVP

I don’t ask for much in this game. Just a complete and total dismantling of everything those stupid sons of bitches have been since Brett Favre started professionally slinging dick pics to ladies around the league , and the unequivocal announcement that the Bears are going to destroy the league this year. So something like 52 to 0 would be perfect.
GSH
MVP

Bears 24

Packers 17
IE
Hall of Famer

Sorry, BWN .... I think it is safe to say Adams is better than Robinson at least at this point. Robinson might not even be the best WR the Bears have (I suspect and personally believe Miller is the best).

I hope you're right because I drafted Robinson. But until he does it is wishful thinking.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

In 2018, Adams came close to matching what Robinson did in 2015. But 2015 Robinson is better than 2018 Adams. Plus, Robinson had Bortles at QB.... that's gotta count for something.
IE
Hall of Famer

It is 2019 though, guys. But no sense in arguing this. If Robinson puts up even close to what he did 4 years ago then we'll all be very happy. Even if Adams edges him or doesn't. The point was the Bears are better than the Packers in almost every way. That I'm sure we can agree on.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:16 pm I will be attending my first Bears game Thursday night, and I am confident they won't let me down.

Bears 31
Douchebags 16
That's awesome! You're gonna see one hell of a game.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I mean honestly, where are the Packers better? I’ll spot you quarterback, and that it’s the most important position on the field.

I think you’re done there.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Urgh wake me when this one’s over, it matters to much to even think about anything other then winning...bears 17 packers 14
Have a great day
docc
Head Coach

..I want to eat their children..
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm definitely nervous because, for as long as I can remember being a fan of this franchise, we found a way to suck or fuck things up. It was in our DNA.

I don't think that's the case anymore. Call it Feng Shui, call it a New Era, call it whatever you want: For the first time in my life I have complete confidence in not only ownership, but our GM, scouting department and head coach. I believe we have a cutting edge facility, an offense that is pushing the envelope of innovation, and honest-to-God quality human beings with football talent manning our roster. This game isn't going to define our season, so I'm not going to put more stock in it than any other of the 15 games we have this regular season.

That being said... fuck the mother fucking Packers.

Bears 27
Packers 10
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

I’m not pleased to be a wet blanket. I’d always prefer the Bears win, and if this was in GB I’d probably have picked them to win. But the Bears haven’t won a regular season opener since 2013. The Packers haven’t lost two straight to the Bears since 2007, and the last 5 times the Bears have opened the regular season against Green Bay, they’ve won once: 2006.

This is obviously not the same coach and team that has bungled around since the NFC Champion squad, but essentially all they’ve shown ever since Rodgers was drafted is that the only way they can beat him is if he doesn’t finish the game. He’s 16-5 all-time against Chicago with a 45-10 TD/INT ratio.

The chief weaknesses that Rodgers and GB have against them is that this is LaFleur’s debut, and he and Rodgers haven’t made it hidden they don’t particularly care for one another.

Last year all 7 new head coaches in the NFL lost their week 1 games, and the 5 years before that new coaches were generally coin flips in their debuts.

And of course this new coach gets to debut against an elite defense on the road on national television.

My problems are more pointed inward with the Bears: Blistering expectations are a bad way to set yourself up for a gut punch, and while the Bears are poised to be a dangerous team defensively, until the offense puts a run together that shows #10 is a stud from whistle to whistle, I’m not going to just hand them the easy W.

Nagy seems like a statement guy, and I envision the Bears mounting a late comeback to score at the end of regulation, but with Pineiro’s awful XP last week and the burden of expectation on that haunted position, Nagy will go for two to steal the win. The playcall will be a cute throw to, I dunno, Akiem Hicks, and he’ll drop it.

Just saying. As Winston Wolf once said, let’s not go sucking each other’s dicks quite yet, gentlemen.
Ormazd
MVP

Just saying. As Winston Wolf once said, let’s not go sucking each other’s dicks quite yet, gentlemen.
One of my favorite movie quotes.

I really hope you and Winston are wrong in this case.
Ormazd
MVP

So, I need to share a little story that's sorta related to this game.

My wife, without my knowledge, had emailed people in the Bears org telling them about my lifelong fandom and that we were going to attend the opener. She asked about purchasing a game used football.

A nice lady in marketing replied that they didn't do that, but she did send a 'Fan Pack' which we received in the mail yesterday.

A quite nice surprise with a lot of Bears swag:
-2019 Season Preview book
-2019/20 calendar
- 2'x3' Mitchell Trubisky flag
-luggage tag
-lanyard
-key ring
-schedule
-set of stickers

Very cool!