Bears sign TE J.P. Holtz

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Middleguard
MVP

Bears sign TE J.P. Holtz (a nothing), and release DE Anderson (better than nothing).

Am I the only one who thinks evaluating TEs is Pace's biggest blindspot?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think it's his 3rd biggest issue area.

#1 - Kicker- He let Gould go then has failed to bring in an adequate kicker for going on 4 years now.
#2 - Quarterback - He signed Glennon for 18M, then drafted Trubisky over both Watson and Mahomes.
#3 - Tight End - Shaheen was a reach. Sims was a horrible FA signing. Burton isn't worth the money we're paying.

Other than that, he's been stellar, with a keen eye for: DL, RB, CB, LB, WR, and S.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Burton is hurt, he was hurt last season at the end and the bears did about as good of a PR job with it as they did Cutler's knee. Burton is key, he is the safety valve and a very athletic TE. I would like to see Wims given some play on his spot.

Sims looked like he could be a decent all around guy, was young, but turned out to have peaked at 25 never to get better.

Shaheen was a reach but he showed tools, it just hasn't panned out. I have lost all faith in him at this point until he actually shows something consistently. This is his chance with Burton being out.

If Heath Miller's knee hadn't lawnchaired he would still be here as well and don't forget how angelo traded away Olsen who could still be here.
wab
Mod

Not every GM nails all 22 positions. I have no idea what is going on with Burton but I’m kinda over it. Jesper Horstead 2020.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 pm Not every GM nails all 22 positions. I have no idea what is going on with Burton but I’m kinda over it. Jesper Horstead 2020.
Yeah. Why didn't they promote Horstead?? He showed some great ball skills in the preseason. Good body control, hands catcher. He looked solid. He's also from Princeton, so I'm guessing he can figure out the offense.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:24 pm Burton is hurt, he was hurt last season at the end and the bears did about as good of a PR job with it as they did Cutler's knee. Burton is key, he is the safety valve and a very athletic TE. I would like to see Wims given some play on his spot.

Sims looked like he could be a decent all around guy, was young, but turned out to have peaked at 25 never to get better.

Shaheen was a reach but he showed tools, it just hasn't panned out. I have lost all faith in him at this point until he actually shows something consistently. This is his chance with Burton being out.

If Heath Miller's knee hadn't lawnchaired he would still be here as well and don't forget how angelo traded away Olsen who could still be here.
I think you mean ZACH MILLER. Heath was a Steeler.

Shaheen was too much of a stretch for me. He will never live up to his draft status.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Shaheen broke my heart. I really wanted him to be a special player. Oh well.

We have enough talent at WR that TE doesn't really concern me, but I'm still all about giving Wims some reps there.
UOK
Site Admin

Part of why they're not promoting other guys is that they don't want them to be claimed on waivers once Burton's healthy, which will probably be next week.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:13 am Part of why they're not promoting other guys is that they don't want them to be claimed on waivers once Burton's healthy, which will probably be next week.
This doesn't make sense to me. If Horstead is on the practice squad, he can be claimed at any time by any team who wants him on their 53.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am
UOK wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:13 am Part of why they're not promoting other guys is that they don't want them to be claimed on waivers once Burton's healthy, which will probably be next week.
This doesn't make sense to me. If Horstead is on the practice squad, he can be claimed at any time by any team who wants him on their 53.
I guess that's true, but I thought Bears had right of matching?

Let me do some googlin'.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am
Yes and no.

I think the rules are:
He can be claimed now - but the Bears get the option to block it by promoting him.
If he gets promoted then waived, he can be claimed, and I don't think there's any right to block it in that scenario.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Practice squad size

Each team is allowed to carry 10 players on its practice squad. As the title states, players are allowed to practice with the team while on the squad, but they are not permitted to play in any games. It gives coaches the chance to continue evaluating them during the season. In addition to the 10 players, teams participating in the International Player Development Program can also carry one international player to the practice squad.

Player eligibility

Not all players are eligible for the practice squad, which limits the pool of players who can be added to the 10-man squad. Teams are allowed to sign four players with two accrued seasons to the practice squad. The other six players must have fewer than two years of experience. Players can’t stay on the practice squad for more than three seasons. A player must be on the practice squad for a minimum six games for that season to count toward the three-year limit.

Minimum salary

According to the current CBA, players on the practice squad will make a minimum of $8,000 per week. There is no limit on how much a practice squad player can make per week, however.

With a season being 17 weeks, the minimum yearly salary is $136,000.

Signing process

Teams can begin assembling their practice squad at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, Sept. 1 after players clear waivers. Waiver claims must be submitted by 12 p.m. ET.

Player “poaching”

Players on the practice squad aren’t protected from being signed by other teams. Teams are allowed to sign players from other teams’ practice squads, but they don’t immediately revert to their practice squad. If a player is signed off another team’s practice squad, he has to be elevated to the signing team’s 53-man roster for at least three weeks, while also earning three weeks salary.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Learning is good. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

At his Pro Day:

6'3"
238 lbs
1.66/2.82/4.79 dash
20 reps 225
33" vert
9'4" broad
4.33 shuttle
6.92 cone (great for his size)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

I think the smartest way to go here is keep Braunecker and Horsted.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

G08 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 am At his Pro Day:

6'3"
238 lbs
1.66/2.82/4.79 dash
20 reps 225
33" vert
9'4" broad
4.33 shuttle
His size makes me think he'll be used as a fullback
wab
Mod

Mr.Irrelevant wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 pm
G08 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 am At his Pro Day:

6'3"
238 lbs
1.66/2.82/4.79 dash
20 reps 225
33" vert
9'4" broad
4.33 shuttle
He's pretty much the same size as Burton, Braunecker, and Horsted. And Nall.

I don't get this one.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

They say he's a blocker. He's not big enough to be an inline guy - we have Sowell and Shaheen for that. And he's not enough of a passing threat to be a "U", and we already have Burton and Braunecker for that anyway. So that leads me to believe he's going to be someone we use to block in space, a fullback/H-back type player. We did carry a fullback last year, so Nagy must see some value in having one.

On the other hand, maybe it's just for special teams.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:01 pm
Mr.Irrelevant wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 pm

He's pretty much the same size as Burton, Braunecker, and Horsted. And Nall.

I don't get this one.
Taller/heavier Michael Burton? FB perhaps?

Yeah... no idea what the thinking is here honestly.

IE
Hall of Famer

So... looking back, and giving Pace some credit... he did recognize the TEs weren't cutting it, and brought in someone who could actually block. This kid is a keeper. He can catch too - not that 10 has ever targeted him. Daniel did.

My mind hasn't changed since the preseason when I'd already had enough of Burton and Shaheen. I'm sick of seeing these guys trotted out there and sucking, when the league is absolutely littered with big target no-name TEs just busting their asses and killing it out there to make plays and bail out their QB. I suspect the Bears have some answers just sitting there.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Did anyone else watch Baltimore b NE last night. That was an enjoyable football game.

Did you notice that Baltimore was utilizing a FB and he was fucking blowing people up!! That was some good hit there. Yes, there OL is far better than the Bears, but get a fucking blocking FB in and see what the hell can happen. Greg Roman has got it going on in Baltimore.
wab
Mod

Holtz has been one of the few bright spots on that side of the ball. He's definitely boosted the running game the last two weeks.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:36 pm Holtz has been one of the few bright spots on that side of the ball. He's definitely boosted the running game the last two weeks.
I can't wait until we start leaking him out into pass routes like the 49ers do/have done with Juszczyk. That's, um, assuming Nagy can figure that out.