Wk 2 // CHICAGO BEARS vs DENVER BRONCOS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

I am nervous as hell about this game. Sad thing is I have to be in Denver over the weekend and I have a ticket to go with a friend whos a Bronco season ticket holder. I was initially jonsings for this game however after we shit the bed on Thursday...I are scared.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
IE
Hall of Famer

Let's try not to deify Fangio. He is a great DC. But even then it took several years for him to slowly build the unit into something truly great. Even with a few key pieces in place, the Bronco D can't be expected to be a true Fangio D for some time. And who knows how much being the HC is going to dilute is focus.

And then... this aint no Erin Rodgers this week. I mean, really - Joe Flacco? The Bears aren't the only team with a completely average QB who other teams can look forward to playing. There are a LOT of them.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Well last year I predicted a loss week 2 after a heartbreaking week one loss and we turned things around. So maybe the same will happen this season? Because feeling really down about the offense right now and Nagy's playcalling. I think he has the smarts to turn it around, but does he have the willpower to stick to the run game? I am not so sure and I don't think Mitch is up to the challenge yet of a D coach like Fangio or pass rush like the Broncos have. Luckily Flacco is garbage and will give the Bears a chance to steal this one

Broncos win 9-6
Richie
MVP

IE wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:11 am Let's try not to deify Fangio. He is a great DC. But even then it took several years for him to slowly build the unit into something truly great. Even with a few key pieces in place, the Bronco D can't be expected to be a true Fangio D for some time. And who knows how much being the HC is going to dilute is focus.

And then... this aint no Erin Rodgers this week. I mean, really - Joe Flacco? The Bears aren't the only team with a completely average QB who other teams can look forward to playing. There are a LOT of them.
I don't know. The D was pretty damn good his first year here in 2017. Then we got hit with some injuries to Trevathan and others. Remember beating Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Carolina the way we did early on?
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:38 pm
IE wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:11 am Let's try not to deify Fangio. He is a great DC. But even then it took several years for him to slowly build the unit into something truly great. Even with a few key pieces in place, the Bronco D can't be expected to be a true Fangio D for some time. And who knows how much being the HC is going to dilute is focus.

I don't know. The D was pretty damn good his first year here in 2017. Then we got hit with some injuries to Trevathan and others. Remember beating Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Carolina the way we did early on?
The Bears hired Vic Jan 2015. 2017 was his third season. His first two years he was right around 15th in total defense both years.

He’s easily one of the best few defensive coordinators in the league. And he’s got two tremendous pass rushers. They’re going to be a nightmare for this offense.
IE
Hall of Famer

Dude, Fangio came with Fox in 2015. Yes - by 2017 he had built a Top 10 ish defense.
IE
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:58 pm

The Bears hired Vic Jan 2015. 2017 was his third season. His first two years he was right around 15th in total defense both years.

He’s easily one of the best few defensive coordinators in the league. And he’s got two tremendous pass rushers. They’re going to be a nightmare for this offense.
I'm only worried about Miller and Chubb if Bad Nagy shows up.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

If Vic fangio can make Brock osweiler and Blaine grabbers look good then Mitch shouldn’t have an issue
Have a great day
G08
Hall of Famer

Yep. I hope Nagy realizes we have to be patient against this defense. You go for broke on kill shots and it'll get ugly fast. Run the ball, take the completions Fangio gives you and move onto the next play.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

About that Broncos defense...
docc
Head Coach

Denver getting worked by Oakland.. 190 yds and 14 pts vs 87 yrds and 0 pts..

Denver "fans" already bailing on "old man coach"..morons.. 1st game..
But 11 mins possession Denver..19 minutes Oakland
Richie
MVP

You're right. Brain fart.

However, in 2016 the D spent most of the second half being top 10 overall. Despite being absolutely OBLITERATED by injuries and constantly being on the field. That actually may have been his finest hour. lol. I remember being impressed that the unit was actually solid until the final three games vs GB, WSH and MIN where finally it was just too much. They dropped from like 7th to 15th those final three weeks.

It was really the same story in 2017. The first half they were dominant. Then Trevathan and others went down. He had the unit playing at a high level very fast, though. He just didn't catch a break with health until 2018.

We'll see what happens Sunday. They sure looked sloppy in Oakland, but I'm sure they'll be a bit better. Still tough going into Mile High.
Richie
MVP

IE wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Dude, Fangio came with Fox in 2015. Yes - by 2017 he had built a Top 10 ish defense.
That was the combination of poor wording and a total brain fart. Yes, I am well aware Fox brought on Fangio and Gase upon being hired. My bad.

However, that unit was rock solid by 2016. Top 10 most of the year until the injuries finally overcame them and they fell out of it over the final three games vs GB, WSH and MIN.
Richie
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:37 pm If Vic fangio can make Brock osweiler and Blaine grabbers look good then Mitch shouldn’t have an issue
Yeah, but last year he also made the Rams offense look like we did on Thursday night. So... eh... I worry.

That was a sloppy first game in Oakland, but at Mile High that team tends to be much tougher. I get the feeling they'll bounce back a bit. I don't like Vic's familiarity with our personnel on both sides of the ball... and Nagy. Hopefully we have some ideas stocked up as to how we can get after him.
IE
Hall of Famer

If only there was some historic evidence of many top coordinators not making a good transition to head coach.

Oh, wait...

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

After watching the Broncos get smoked in Oakland last night, I am a bit more confident. Two things stood out to me;

1. It takes more than a great DC to have a top defense. Denver doesn’t have anywhere near the talent that Chicago had (still has) when he was here.
2. The Broncos offense...woof. They have a couple of playmakers that rely on Flacco to get them the ball. Nuff said. If the Broncos OL can make the Raider front five look like world-beaters, I fear for the safety of Joe.
IE
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am After watching the Broncos get smoked in Oakland last night, I am a bit more confident. Two things stood out to me;

1. It takes more than a great DC to have a top defense. Denver doesn’t have anywhere near the talent that Chicago had (still has) when he was here.
2. The Broncos offense...woof. They have a couple of playmakers that rely on Flacco to get them the ball. Nuff said. If the Broncos OL can make the Raider front five look like world-beaters, I fear for the safety of Joe.
Yes! I'm guessing the only reason they get more than one TD is because of a turnover near the end zone or ST or something.

Carr is his old self again. Good for him - always liked him. I'm hoping Coach Nagy looks at the tape and realizes his rookie can do as well as JJ against the Broncs.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

OK. So Denver is not very good--particularly on offense--and/or is not adjusting well to the Fangio changes. Or maybe it's a week 1 fluke?

I was planning on picking Denver this week. I admit to my bias about the thin air in Denver. I moved there when I was 21 and in good enough shape to play full court hoops for hours. Upon arrival, I tossed a frisbee with my new roomies on a beautiful June day and was stunned to be breathing hard. Don't think that the high altitude doesn't affect those not used to it and that's going to affect Biscuit and company.

I also think the "Fangio knows the weaknesses of Biscuit and our offense" logic has merit.

Even so, their offense sure seemed pathetic against Oakland. That group matched up against our Defense is going to be really rough for them. I think Vic is going to scheme up some surprises for our offense, too. I'd like to say that we're going to be pi$$ed after such a bad showing vs. GB. But they looked bad too, although on the road.

Bears 16
Broncos 10
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Tough game for both sides. Not alot of offense, but there will be defense. The difference is a late pick 6 by Clinton-Dix to seal the deal.

Bears: 17
Broncos: 12
Richie
MVP

Watching Denver yesterday made me a bit more confident. I expected Fangio to have that D a bit more in order and to see Flacco at least provide some stability. He looked pretty damn sloppy and is such a damn statue out there. We should tee off on him a handful of times. Really, we just can't get burned by the deep ball. That's Flacco's one legit strength that he has to threaten you with.

This was originally a loss on my schedule when it came out. Hate playing at Mile High.

But... Denver loses their first at home in September since 2013.

Bears 21
Denver 10

After a tumultuous first 3 quarters resulting in a 14-10 Bears lead. Trubisky steps up and calms the nerves of Bears fans (at least temporarily) by leading an 8 minute TD drive to put the game out of reach.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Flacco is a statue and will not score more than 10 points
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’ve been telling people out here since they started teasing me about the Bears losing (they have since stopped), my main source of comfort is that flacco sucks.
tjs
Journeyman

I'm thinking 21-7 .....daaa Bears on top
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I feel the Bears Oline plays much better, which is where a lot of the blame being placed on Bisky really lays. Flacco is running from our pass rush like the hounds of wrath are on his trail. Bears win.
Bears: 27
Broncos:17
Umbali
MVP

First and foremost we need to commit to running the ball. Having Trubisky throw it like he did the other night is not acceptable. We need need to establish play action in addition to getting the ball out fast to neutralize their pass rush a bit. Lets not get too creative stupid with our new toys. Play solid fundamental football to make the fake plays seem like icing rather than the cake.

Bears 23

Broncos 16

I will be there...I will be drunk...i will be loud..and i will be victorious!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:29 am
I will be there...I will be drunk...i will be loud..and i will be victorious!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears 13
Donks 9
G08
Hall of Famer

reddit always wins :lol:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am reddit always wins :lol:

This is amazing.
BR0D1E86
MVP

It appears he’s joking, but with how poorly this team handled being in a different formation on basically every play in the second half, they really need to be dumbing things down a bit rather than getting weirder.