Film Room: Trubisky still making rookie mistakes

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the worst example of this was on his game clinching interception in the endzone ... he stared down his intended receiver the whole way making it very easy for Amos to read him and simply go make a play

so the single coverage Trubisky thought he was throwing into became blanket double coverage as soon as the ball left his hand

game, set, match
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Watching the throw to Robinson across the middle where he hitches his arm and jerks his head a bit like he was GOING to throw left, changed his mind after he saw the linebackers hips swivel, then changed his mind again in a split second, releasing the ball to Robinson anyway, even as the linebacker was clearly dedicated to Robinson's route.

I still can't believe how static Mitch's head is in the pocket - STILL. He doesn't use his head or eyes at all. I don't know if he's trying to work some poker face type deal, but the best to ever play the position are constantly scanning, scanning, scanning, hunting for that patch of daylight to lay a ball into, knowing his receiver should fulfill his part of the sequence.

Instead Mitch's throws aren't typically gone until the receiver has already finished their route, giving plenty of time for coverage to break on the target.

It's one game, but goddamn it discouraged me on 10. This is baby quarterback shit.
Xee
Site Admin

Love all these technical breakdowns, thanks for posting them. Just curious, could Mitch's decision making issues and lack of fundamentals be partially blamed on his inability to trust his O-line in this game? Or is that an excuse and this is all on Mitch?
G08
Hall of Famer

He was the most hit QB week 1.

I'm sure that had nothing to do with anything.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:47 pm Love all these technical breakdowns, thanks for posting them. Just curious, could Mitch's decision making issues and lack of fundamentals be partially blamed on his inability to trust his O-line in this game? Or is that an excuse and this is all on Mitch?
First thing Kollman said was true - Trubisky's line was god-awful all night long, and entirely exposed.

But as he also said, Mitch has been under duress before and made some dynamic plays, and last week he was taken advantage of.

When a bunch of mediocre DBs say "all we have to do is make Trubisky play QB," that's a big problem. There's a lot of film on Mitch now that shows his flaws, and if some armchair analyst can laughably dissect his shortcomings, just imagine how coordinators are hashing these over.

I want nothing more than Mitch to succeed, but goddamn that game really socked me in the nuts.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:47 pm Love all these technical breakdowns, thanks for posting them. Just curious, could Mitch's decision making issues and lack of fundamentals be partially blamed on his inability to trust his O-line in this game? Or is that an excuse and this is all on Mitch?
Sorry. That's all on Mitch. On the plays that Brett was going over, most of them had a clean pocket. It wasn't that Mitch was pressured, it was that his read was all wrong. His reading of the WR, his reading of the DB's, his reading of the LB's. ALL WRONG.

I have a lot of respect for Brett Kollmann. I think he is the absolute best YouTube analyst out there. What he just went through in that video, should have every single Bears fan very, very concerned. It sucks.
UOK
Site Admin

I also thought it was a craven move to have Mitch meekly defer to the Bears PR rep when asked about why he looked like shit against the Packers.

The Nagy mantras about positive culture and how outsiders wouldn’t understand is going to really start pissing fans off if losses pile up and 10 looks like hell. Don’t piss on my shoes and tell me it’s raining.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:34 am I also thought it was a craven move to have Mitch meekly defer to the Bears PR rep when asked about why he looked like shit against the Packers.

The Nagy mantras about positive culture and how outsiders wouldn’t understand is going to really start pissing fans off if losses pile up and 10 looks like hell. Don’t piss on my shoes and tell me it’s raining.
I know that look. I had that same look perpetually as a kid. I think Biscuit got scolded by "Dad" (Nagy) and maybe even people in the front office. Then he fights back and says the offensive line blocked like shit, the receivers weren't open, etc. Then it probably turned into a thing like a heated discussion or whatever. Totally normal when things go FUBAR.

Then maybe the PR people told him to keep the infighting in-house and STFU in front of the media so that a bad situation doesn't turn into the End Times.

Nothing will fix this better than kicking somebody's ass and winning. To paraphrase an old saying, "Winning floats on shit."

I believe in Biscuit, Nagy, Pace, all of them. They got this and just keep working out the kinks. We could still easily be 4-1 at the bye week and none of this matters.
UOK
Site Admin

Indeed. I’d rather suck now than later.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pmI still can't believe how static Mitch's head is in the pocket - STILL. He doesn't use his head or eyes at all.
This. Right. Here. Not good. He better get lots better at this. Soon.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Punisher
Rookie

Regardless if MT can improve or not, Nagy must change the game plans, personnel groupings and play calling. Film doesn't lie and every Defensive Coordinator in the NFL will now attempt to replicate Green Bay's defensive game plan until the Bears prove they can adjust and beat it. Pound the rock, play action and TE utilization are a struggling QB's best friends.... and for God's sake, the O-line has to quit doing bong hits prior to the game....that was atrocious.
G08
Hall of Famer

Again. It was one game. Mitch was the lest experienced QB in our draft. Look at the number of passing attempts Mahomes and Watson had in college. Mitch maybe had 25% of that. He needs reps.

I'm not going to be one of the fans that says he needs to ball out this week against Denver, because he doesn't. Progression/development isn't linear and it isn't in response to the previous game's performance.

Give the kid time, support him. We don't need to ruin yet another QB in this city with impatience.

G08
Hall of Famer

QBs who were average-to-bad, statistically, their first two years in the league:

Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
John Elway
Warren Moon
Matt Ryan
Carson Palmer
Drew Bledsoe
Matthew Stafford
Joe Flacco
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Jim Kelly
Jay Cutler
Troy Aikman
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Andrew Luck
Derek Carr

etc.

Richie
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:34 pm Give the kid time, support him. We don't need to ruin yet another QB in this city with impatience.
I would ADORE to hold the belief that we have even the slightest impact on this team as fans. However, the idea that we key a role in the development of young QB's with how we react to their play? It's just... funny.
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:20 pm QBs who were average-to-bad, statistically, their first two years in the league:

Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
John Elway
Warren Moon
Matt Ryan
Carson Palmer
Drew Bledsoe
Matthew Stafford
Joe Flacco
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Jim Kelly
Jay Cutler
Troy Aikman
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Andrew Luck
Derek Carr

etc.
MAYBE a few of these guys were statistically subpar their first few seasons. Honestly, most were legitimately good. I literally looked up every single solitary QB on this list because I was so taken back by how inaccurate I thought the post was.

Matt Ryan won rookie of the year. Brady led the league in TD passes in year #2. Kelly was top 5 in yardage and TD's his rookie year. 8th in passer rating. McNabb was 7th in TD's his first full season. Rivers was top ten across the board his first season starting. Peyton was top 4 across the board in year #2. Eli was top 5 in yardage and TD's in his 2nd season. Bledsoe led the league in completions and yardage in his 2nd season. Ben was 3rd in QB rating and led the league in Y/C, Y/A and TD%. In Stafford's 2nd full season he threw for 5k yards and 40 TD's. In Hasselbeck's first full season and his 3rd season playing he was top 5 in yardage, TD's and 7th in rating. Carr was top ten in yardage and TD's (4K yards and 32 TD's). Palmer led the league in TD's and CMP% in his 2nd season while being 2nd in QB rating. Favre was top ten in every major category his first GB season despite only playing 13 games.

The majority of the other guys on this list (Dalton, Cutler and Flacco) I reeeeaalllly don't want Trubisky to wind-up as. lol

Oh, and this tired excuse needs to die with 2018.

Mitch was the lest experienced QB in our draft. Look at the number of passing attempts Mahomes and Watson had in college. Mitch maybe had 25% of that. He needs reps.

Mitch has more NFL pass attempts than each of those guys and is in his 3rd season. 2nd year in this offense. That crutch is gone. Time to perform, NOW.
MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:20 pm QBs who were average-to-bad, statistically, their first two years in the league:

Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
John Elway
Warren Moon
Matt Ryan
Carson Palmer
Drew Bledsoe
Matthew Stafford
Joe Flacco
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Jim Kelly
Jay Cutler
Troy Aikman
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Andrew Luck
Derek Carr

etc.
Just curious how you came up with this list?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
John Elway
Warren Moon
Matt Ryan
Carson Palmer
Drew Bledsoe
Matthew Stafford
Joe Flacco
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Jim Kelly
Jay Cutler
Troy Aikman
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Andrew Luck
Derek Carr

etc.
Well if Jay Cutler is on the list, then they all must suck. Who are those losers anyway?

I thought Jay Cutler went to the Pro Bowl his 2nd year in the league.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:11 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:34 pm Give the kid time, support him. We don't need to ruin yet another QB in this city with impatience.
I would ADORE to hold the belief that we have even the slightest impact on this team as fans. However, the idea that we key a role in the development of young QB's with how we react to their play? It's just... funny.
I know where G08 is going with this. All the sports radio level commentary and Good Rex Bad Rex meatball shit ruined the fun for years. Now granted, Biscuit probably doesn't read what we post and most likely wouldn't care with what The Marshall Plan, G08 and Richie have to say. However, we are part of a collective fan base and if everybody goes Full Eeyore then it contributes to everything going to shit.

I vote for having a positive attitude and expecting good things to happen. Wake me up in the bye week to evaluate where we are.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:43 am I vote for having a positive attitude and expecting good things to happen. Wake me up in the bye week to evaluate where we are.
Is that why your avatar is a picture of Hannibal Lecter? The dichotomy is intriguing.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:43 am I vote for having a positive attitude and expecting good things to happen. Wake me up in the bye week to evaluate where we are.
Is that why your avatar is a picture of Hannibal Lecter? The dichotomy is intriguing.
LOL. I just really like the character in that he's kind of a form of controlled fanaticism. There wasn't a lot of deeper meaning behind it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Listening to some Denver sports talk today for a little change (and the SCORE is doing baseball shiznit) and it is interesting to hear their take on the game. All people talking and talked to expect a close low scoring game. All agree that Flacco is going to have a tough time. They are hoping for the Broncs to start the run game and use some play action, screens off of it. They want to get the Bears running from side to side. Of course the altitude will help and the fact it is supposed to be in the low 90s!!!!! Not good for the Bears.

They do not respect Trubs. They see the Bears as KC Lite. They report the Bronc D has been somewhat successful against KC. They feel they can press cover and get all over Trubs.

Some interesting stats for Trubs.

QTR with best QB rating - 1st by far = 105.4 (2nd best QTR = 3rd)
Worst QTR = 4th = 74.9
Best QB rating with throwing left = 110, worst throwing wide right = 74
Majority of hhis ints come throwing left.(last week to AROB)
Most of his ints thrown on 1st down (9)
QB rating in 2 minute drill = 50.3 (2 TDs, 5 ints)

Just some things to chew on.
G08
Hall of Famer

Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
John Elway
Warren Moon
Matt Ryan
Carson Palmer
Drew Bledsoe
Matthew Stafford
Joe Flacco
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Jim Kelly
Jay Cutler
Troy Aikman
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Andrew Luck
Derek Carr

etc.
QB rating

G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:07 pm
Well if Jay Cutler is on the list, then they all must suck. Who are those losers anyway?

I thought Jay Cutler went to the Pro Bowl his 2nd year in the league.
3rd

malk
Head Coach

As an aside, I don't think comparing years in the league without checking system changes is good practice. Trubisky's first year with Fox can't have helped, then year 2 is a new system, which itself is apparently complicated.

Then you'd need to check if they had a competent HC/OC, a decent line, some weapons...

Bottom line through, Trubisky has everything to succeed this year, he doesn't need to be MVP, or even pro bowl, but if he's not obviously good the writing is on the wall.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
John Elway
Warren Moon
Matt Ryan
Carson Palmer
Drew Bledsoe
Matthew Stafford
Joe Flacco
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Jim Kelly
Jay Cutler
Troy Aikman
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Andrew Luck
Derek Carr

etc.
MAYBE a few of these guys were statistically subpar their first few seasons. Honestly, most were legitimately good. I literally looked up every single solitary QB on this list because I was so taken back by how inaccurate I thought the post was.

Matt Ryan won rookie of the year. Brady led the league in TD passes in year #2. Kelly was top 5 in yardage and TD's his rookie year. 8th in passer rating. McNabb was 7th in TD's his first full season. Rivers was top ten across the board his first season starting. Peyton was top 4 across the board in year #2. Eli was top 5 in yardage and TD's in his 2nd season. Bledsoe led the league in completions and yardage in his 2nd season. Ben was 3rd in QB rating and led the league in Y/C, Y/A and TD%. In Stafford's 2nd full season he threw for 5k yards and 40 TD's. In Hasselbeck's first full season and his 3rd season playing he was top 5 in yardage, TD's and 7th in rating. Carr was top ten in yardage and TD's (4K yards and 32 TD's). Palmer led the league in TD's and CMP% in his 2nd season while being 2nd in QB rating. Favre was top ten in every major category his first GB season despite only playing 13 games.

The majority of the other guys on this list (Dalton, Cutler and Flacco) I reeeeaalllly don't want Trubisky to wind-up as. lol

Oh, and this tired excuse needs to die with 2018.

Mitch was the lest experienced QB in our draft. Look at the number of passing attempts Mahomes and Watson had in college. Mitch maybe had 25% of that. He needs reps.

Mitch has more NFL pass attempts than each of those guys and is in his 3rd season. 2nd year in this offense. That crutch is gone. Time to perform, NOW.
Have you looked at their numbers? First two seasons rating, combined:

Brady - 86
Brees - 73.1
Ryan - 84.3
McNabb - 73
Rivers - 87.2
Peyton - 80.6
Eli - 70.5
Carr - 83.7

Etc.

Trubisky was at 87.7 for comparison.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:14 pm As an aside, I don't think comparing years in the league without checking system changes is good practice. Trubisky's first year with Fox can't have helped, then year 2 is a new system, which itself is apparently complicated.

Then you'd need to check if they had a competent HC/OC, a decent line, some weapons...

Bottom line through, Trubisky has everything to succeed this year, he doesn't need to be MVP, or even pro bowl, but if he's not obviously good the writing is on the wall.
at some point though it becomes a rex-grossmanesque mania where "finally, this is like his true 2nd season" or whatever mass delusion gripped bears fans for most of the 2000's.

You dont even have to look at all those great QB's, because Mahomes and Watson look light years ahead of Trubisky, and at this point in the season even Lamar Jackson looks far far superior in year 2.

I havent given up on Mitch, but I do think it's 100% fair for people to be asking; "why the fuck is he staring WR's down and overthrowing dudes left and right?" Trying to say it's because he hasnt quite gripped the nuances of the offensive system feels like an alcoholic deciding just one more drink and then i'll stop.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Maybe playing in the preseason when you still don’t have shit figured out would have been a good idea.
UOK
Site Admin

It’s clear that Nagy is scaling back the offense to help Mitch find his confidence. These few games will be very telling.
docc
Head Coach

Against Fangio this was going to be very tough..in DENVER altitude..with a HC that knows every play and counter...
Ain't no magic..just keep fighting..and Bears did just that.. Trubs moved us close enough like against Rams..but Eddie hits it..

The rest of the season will be what they make of it..win today..then plan to win next week..as I remember being grilled in college..