Wk 2 // CHICAGO BEARS vs DENVER BRONCOS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I hesitate to make any prediction after Thursday's mess. But I think Mitch's familiarity with Vic's defense helps more than Vic's familiarity with Nagy's offense hurts.

Bears 24
Broncos 13
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:14 pm
G08 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am reddit always wins :lol:

This is amazing.
:applaud:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
LacertineForest
MVP

Bears 22
Broncos 13

Bears pull away late, offense still struggles, but at least looks like they belong on the field. Defense obviously a major contributor - whether it's by directly scoring or through field position, I don't know.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mr.Irrelevant wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:54 pm I hesitate to make any prediction after Thursday's mess. But I think Mitch's familiarity with Vic's defense helps more than Vic's familiarity with Nagy's offense hurts.

Bears 24
Broncos 13
That's a really weak explanation. Vic practiced against our offense AND players many, many times. We have never practiced again Vic with Denver's players. While Vic is certainly a 3-4 guy, he isn't a mindless, cookie cutter coach who does everything exactly the same way with different personnel that has varying strengths and weaknesses. He deserves more credit than that.

Anyone who's not nervous about this game, should be.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:12 am
Mr.Irrelevant wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:54 pm I hesitate to make any prediction after Thursday's mess. But I think Mitch's familiarity with Vic's defense helps more than Vic's familiarity with Nagy's offense hurts.

Bears 24
Broncos 13
That's a really weak explanation. Vic practiced against our offense AND players many, many times. We have never practiced again Vic with Denver's players. While Vic is certainly a 3-4 guy, he isn't a mindless, cookie cutter coach who does everything exactly the same way with different personnel that has varying strengths and weaknesses. He deserves more credit than that.
In all fairness, and not to discredit one of my most favorite defensive coaches ever, but Fangio doesn't run a complicated defense. What he does do, is run a very disciplined defense. That is more easily accomplished when you have elite players at all levels of the defense. Denver is in the process of rebuilding their defense around Miller and Chubb, but they aren't there yet.
Middleguard
MVP

If week 2 power rankings are accurate, Bears rank higher than their opponent in only 5 more games beside this one. Need a win here. Bears D is likely to tire in the 4th. I hope Pagano can keep them fresher in an unaccustomed environment than Fangio did in last year's Miami debacle.

Bears 20
Broncos 16
mohner1
Practice Squad

I think we'll see marginal improvement, but not enough to win, thus continuing the consistent offensive inconsistency that I have come to realize will forever plague this team.

Bears - 13
Broncos - 16
“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
UOK
Site Admin

Ormazd
MVP

I felt better about the first game after watching it on the DVR. The Bears had a lot of chances, but couldn't stay out of their own way. Packers really had nothing else going other than the 10 points they scored.
Just clean up the drive killing penalties and Mitch/Nagy be a little smarter.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:16 am
Mikefive wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:12 am That's a really weak explanation. Vic practiced against our offense AND players many, many times. We have never practiced again Vic with Denver's players. While Vic is certainly a 3-4 guy, he isn't a mindless, cookie cutter coach who does everything exactly the same way with different personnel that has varying strengths and weaknesses. He deserves more credit than that.
In all fairness, and not to discredit one of my most favorite defensive coaches ever, but Fangio doesn't run a complicated defense. What he does do, is run a very disciplined defense. That is more easily accomplished when you have elite players at all levels of the defense. Denver is in the process of rebuilding their defense around Miller and Chubb, but they aren't there yet.
He makes it very easy for his players but extremely complicated for opposing offenses. He makes every coverage look the same and rotates so late that sometimes the QB is in his drop and he still doesn't know if he's looking at cover 1, cover 2, Quarters, cover 6 etc. I don't care who are, that's tough on a QB.

I hope we run the piss out of the ball, force them to put 8 in the box and then we punish them in the passing game. I don't put much stock into how difficult it is to play there as a visitor but still, make sure we let our defense breathe.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

WagonForce
MVP

Bears 20
Broncos 10
GSH
MVP

Bears 3rd and 40
Broncos Joe Flacco
UOK
Site Admin

Here’s the full injury report from the Bears.

Tight end Trey Burton (groin) has been a limited participant all week at practice and he talks like he’s ready to get out there, but the Bears may be cautious with him one more week. Head coach Matt Nagy said it would be a game time decision.

Nose tackle Eddie Goldman (oblique) didn’t practice yesterday after getting hurt on Wednesday, but he was limited today.

Inside linebacker Nick Kwiatkoski (knee) popped up on the injury report today as a limited participant in practice.

Defensive lineman Bilal Nichols (knee) was limited today, but you know the drill, he’s limited every time the Bears practice indoors.

All four of the above Bears are listed as questionable for Sunday.

Offensive lineman Rashaad Coward, who hurt his elbow in preseason, has been back at practice all week and is off the injury report altogether.

And here’s the injury report from the Broncos.

Starting right tackle Ja’Wuan James (knee) has been ruled out, and starting right guard Ron Leary (quad) is not listed on the report after being limited all week and will play.

Former Bears’ nickelback Bryce Callahan (foot) is listed as questionable after being limited yesterday and today.

Starting inside linebacker Todd Davis (calf) is questionable. and inside backer Joseph Jones (triceps) has been ruled out.

Fullback Andy Janovich (pec) is also listed as out.
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/ ... e-callahan
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

If the starting RT is out, and the RG is gimpy, then I do wish Flacco the best on his way across the rainbow bridge. Alas Joe...we knew ye well.

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:12 am

Bears 24
Broncos 13

Anyone who's not nervous about this game, should be.
I'm sorry that you've found my incredibly detailed analysis insufficient. Let me put it this way, Vic's strength is disguising his coverages, true. Mitch's weakness on the other hand seems to be that he's still processing coverages too slowly. But in this case Mitch has been practicing against Vic's disguises for 2 years which I believe will help him to see things faster and thus play better.

On the other side of the equation, Vic and Nagy coached together for 1 year and against each other occasionally in the past. I'd say they know each other's desires and tendencies equally well. Yes, Fangio knows the bears offensive players better than Nagy knows the Bronco's defensive ones, but when they bears have the ball it's Nagy who gets to control where to attack and how to protect. I'd say that makes it a push.

You are, of course, welcome to disagree. We'll see what happens tomorrow. And I didn't say I was confident the bears will win, I am simply more hopeful than you appear to be.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I am probably way more optimistic than a lot of people around here the last week. And despite that I'm going to have to be realistic.

This game is in Denver, and we aren't the Raiders.

Broncos 24
Bears 13

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong. but this game is very important to the broncos, and I'm going to need to see the other 50% of the Bears team show up before I can predict any different
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GAME DAY BITCHES!!!!

Game day haiku;

Thin air, a mile high
Montgomery is a beast
Fangio is sad

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 am GAME DAY BITCHES!!!!

Game day haiku;

Thin air, a mile high
Montgomery is a beast
Fangio is sad

Well done. I'm thinking Monty has a great game too.

May I add a rhyme?

It's the Bears vs Gandalf The Grey Sweatshirt
Whose defenses like to bring the hurt
He yells YOU SHALL NOT PASS
So Montgomery steps on the gas
Time for a Club Dub concert
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Montgomery better be able to be a monster on 5 touches then since thats all Nagy is going to give him. Prove me wrong please Coach!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Temps are going to be in the low 90s!!! Not good for the Bears. Conditioning will be a key and Denver is a little more acclimated to the thin air. Mack should be teeing off today with the injuries to their OL.
Xee
Site Admin

After the last game, I am no longer going to base my predictions off both teams playing to their potential and instead, just go with an "anything can happen" approach.

Bears: 14
Broncos: 10
wab
Mod

The things I do for you people.
wab
Mod

The things I do for you people.
8B04273F-0E1E-4076-8FF8-4243041D8B26.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G08
Hall of Famer

@wab THANK YOU!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

ISK why it’s upside down but whatevs
BR0D1E86
MVP

Burton will be active. Hope it makes a difference.

BR0D1E86
MVP

I hope Nagy was watching. Either we have a kicker or we don’t. If the Bears go for it on fourth and long in field-goal range again today I am going to be apoplectic.

IE
Hall of Famer

10 looking brutal. Damn. I'm getting tired of defending. Cant hit a guy in stride. He just can't. It's not about the system. If they're down field its maybe a 25% chance he's going to make it catchable without the WR being forced to interfere. Sucks. 25 is generous.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Why must our goal line offense only run from the shot gun ? By the time the running back gets the ball the corners have already crashed in on him.
BR0D1E86
MVP

IE wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:12 pm 10 looking brutal. Damn. I'm getting tired of defending. Cant hit a guy in stride. He just can't. It's not about the system. If they're down field its maybe a 25% chance he's going to make it catchable without the WR being forced to interfere. Sucks. 25 is generous.
He is singlehandedly torpedoing a super bowl season. He needs to get his shit together. Now.