radio: 780AM WBBM
----------------------------------------
CHICAGO BEARS (1-1)
Bears/Redskins matchup history
WASHINGTON REDSKINS (0-2)
CLICK HERE to join our Bears Fans Online Discord chat!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bears O continues to struggle but starts to show a bit more signs of life. Redskins are not a good team and it shows.

Bears win 20-9.
UOK
Site Admin

Read this in a Biggs piece this morning: "Since 1998, the are 1-16 in home games on Monday night and have lost six in a row dating back to a 17-16 victory over the Giants on Dec. 3, 2012." I like those odds, particularly since the Redskins are seemingly again trotting out a pedestrian squad whose only goal is to not outsuck the Dolphins.

However, this Washington team is fighting for its life. The season is on the line for them: Since 1980, less than 3% of teams that start 0-3 make the playoffs. The Houston Texans did it last year, but the time before that? 1998. These guys are unlikely to lay down without a fight. They've lost two straight division games, and if they lose this one, draft prep can begin.

The Bears defense is coming off of an exhausting, emotional road game. Nichols is likely out (or wearing a massive club on his arm), Amukamara was banged up a bit, and overall this D has been overworked very early on. There's no doubt about it: The Redskins are going to give the ball to Adrian Peterson and hope that he can channel 2007, beating up the line, and grinding out a victory. That said, their running game sucks ass, and the Bears should probably be comfortable shutting that down, barring injury. Keenum has been respectable-ish. 111 rating, 5 scores, no picks. He's due for a bad game.

The Bears offense shouldn't have any excuses against Washington. The Redskins have been consecutively shredded by Wentz and Prescott to the tune of 574 yards and 6 touchdowns. They've given up almost 340 yards on the ground. If there's any time to take a shit on a team that's already down, it's now.

--------

My prediction:

Bears 23
Redskins 16
wab
Mod

With no preseason work it seems like it's going to take a few games for the offense to get in sync. I like this as a the game for the Bears offense to start getting right.

Defense also gets an extra day, and that's going to help. The weather should be agreeable too.

Bears 27
Redskins 13
IE
Hall of Famer

We'll continue to see a more balanced game from Nagy especially now that he knows he has a kicker.

I'd really like to see some Ridley and Wims out there with real looks along with 12 to give 10 some bigger targets and radius. Seems like that's a no brainer until accuracy shows up.

I still think we really haven't seen what 32 can do. If he is going to break out, this will be the right time.

This is the feast the Bear D has been waiting for. Extra day will be good for sure.

Bear 35
Skin 16
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I may or may not have a ticket for this game ... depends on how many of my neighbor's family shows up for game day

the Redskins stadium is kind of a shitty place to watch a football game unless you are willing to pony up mega bucks to sit in the club section ... so to be honest, I will be happy enough watching from home or at Buffalo Wild Wings

as to the game, I think the teams are kind of equal on the offensive side ... Keenum hasn't been the reason the Redskins are losing, he just has minimal support ... and I certainly give the edge to the Bears defense

I think it will be another close game, but this week is the week the Bears defense gets their first TD of the season ... that and a couple of second half field goals will clinch it ... Redskins final score making it closer than it is will happen as time runs out on some weird play that is reviewed for 10 minutes before counted

Bears 26 Redskins 16
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Gotta say... I just LOVE the old pictures you post with these game threads! Here's to UOK! :toast:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 pm Gotta say... I just LOVE the old pictures you post with these game threads! Here's to UOK! :toast:
I remember those! My friend was a Redskins fan, and had that poster on his wall in his room. :D
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 pm Gotta say... I just LOVE the old pictures you post with these game threads! Here's to UOK! :toast:
Thanks Mike! I basically pore through Pinterest looking for vintage NFL posters, playing cards, magazine covers, etc. It reminds me of a far more romantic time. I came up watching NFL starting around 1999, so I had very little concept of the first 2-3 decades of NFL play as it happened, relying more on NFL Films, SportsCentury, and other documentary-style media to tell the stories of the gridiron.

Basically since 2005 or so, the NFL has become a very different league. There's very little sense of romance or fun, and infinitely more about rule changes, scandal, the social impact the bigger-than-ever game has in our culture, and parity has tanked.

We're living in the era of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, the Manning brothers, CTE, murder/suicides, rape, assault, and pass interference. It makes me remember why I fell in love with football and the NFL to go back and enjoy how dressed up the marketing was for the game during eras when a sport that's larger than life could be romantic, fun, and dangerous.

There's a LOT to be said about how the game can't really ever be that way again for good reason, but I digress.
Ormazd
MVP

Bears 73, Redskins 0.

Oh, wait, it's not 1940.

I'm not overly confident about anything until Nagy and Mitch show me. Howevah, I predict the Bears break the 7 game losing streak against the Skins and win for the first time since 2003.

Bears 20, Skins 17
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Well. Through two games, there isn't anything that would suggest that this will be a blowout. That being said, there is no one on the Redskins roster that scares me. Their secondary has a lot of experience (Norman, Collins), but the rest of their defense is not intimidating. The offense is as equally benign. Case Keenum was just run out of Denver. Their receivers are young and inexperienced, and AP is a shell of what he once was. I think the offense takes a small step forward this game.

Bears - 24
Redskins - 13
BR0D1E86
MVP

I imagine we’ll run the ball down their throats. Their defense is not good, and in particular o think it can be run on.

I’d imagine they’ll score a couple against us because Keenum is playing pretty well. But he’s liable to go out and have one of his interception-fests too. I have zero fear of them running the ball on the Bears.
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If we were operating at full speed this would be a massacre, but we're not.

This is the year that Biscuit needs to take the leap forward in performance and this is one of those games where I'd expect him to beef up his stats.

That being said....

We're on the road and we had some good examples of shitting the bed last year on the road (Miami, NYG - Yes that was with Chase Daniel but still.) and then the Denver game shouldn't have been that close if we had a competent offense except for Montgomery.

Biscuit is going to have a good game. 2 TDs with 0 INTs, but it won't be commanding.

Montgomery has a breakout game. He gets a TD on a long run.

The defense is really going to enjoy this with a one dimensional offense through Peterson where he has to run through Hicks, Goldman, Roquan etc.

Washington gets a TD and a field goal, but I can't see them lighting it up at all.

Eddie Dinero gets a FG.

Bears 24
Redskins 10
Xee
Site Admin

Anyone in the Chicago area know if this game is going to be broadcast over the air (broadcast)? Don't have cable since we use internet for everything and instead just use an antenna to watch games. Could have sworn that all games were broadcast by a local channel but haven't been able to find any info on this game.
GSH
MVP

Smells like a trap game. I can almost see this one being a head scratchingly bad performance echoing bears teams of years past before our offense turns the corner.

Bears 13
Redskins 16
docc
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:51 pm Anyone in the Chicago area know if this game is going to be broadcast over the air (broadcast)? Don't have cable since we use internet for everything and instead just use an antenna to watch games. Could have sworn that all games were broadcast by a local channel but haven't been able to find any info on this game.
If you don't get ESPN..then..go Nigerian..plenty of links..or..Yahoo Sports app...
Richie
MVP

I think we'll see just how serious our offensive struggles are come Monday night. I believe those were two stout units that we faced in weeks 1 and 2.

Washington does not have a stout defensive unit. They have a BAD defensive unit. I am anxious just like most are over the offense... but I am not smacking the panic button just yet. Another week of what we have seen, though? Yeah, it's getting hard to keep making excuses.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Montgomery has his first 100 yard game and a TD. Mitch throws a pair of TD's. The D forces 3 turnovers and continues to dominate.

Bears 27
Washington 13
Richie
MVP

I think we'll see just how serious our offensive struggles are come Monday night. I believe those were two stout units that we faced in weeks 1 and 2.

Washington does not have a stout defensive unit. They have a BAD defensive unit. I am anxious just like most are over the offense... but I am not smacking the panic button just yet. Another week of what we have seen, though? Yeah, it's getting hard to keep making excuses.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Montgomery has his first 100 yard game and a TD. Mitch throws a pair of TD's. The D forces 3 turnovers and continues to dominate.

Bears 27
Washington 13
LacertineForest
MVP

I'm going to say:

Bears 22
Washington 16

The Bears' offense is able to do enough to exploit a weak Skins D, but still struggles and gives the Skins some opportunities to score that the defense has to clean up.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I think, like Wab said, this is where the lack of preseason play rustiness starts coming off. I think the Bears D gets a touchdown and the offense gets 3 tds and 2 FGs. Skins get 1 td and 2 FGs.

Bears: 34
Skins: 13
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

If the Bears offense can't get going this week, I'll get raging drunk and probably puke all over my #52 jersey. Let's not let that happen Nagy.

The Redskins are truly terrible. They don't play better at home and this should be a total ass kicking. That said, I think our O is around "preseason game 4" as far as knocking off the rust. We should see a ton of Montgomery and a ton of Allen Robinson. Trubisky plays another turn-over free game and at the end of regulation, Eddie Pineiro descends from the heavens and boots a 57 yarder just because he can.

Bears: 23
Redskins: 13
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

This is the "Tampa Bay game" we had last year. It was week 4, everything was shakey. We were 2-1 but hadn't won convincingly over Seattle or Arizona. This is a week earlier, but I think we'll see Trubisky play with confidence and the run game start to click.

Bears 30
Wash 13
Z Bear
MVP

The D is for real but the Bears are going to have to make a believer out of me on O.

12-10 Bears. Eddy Money is the hero again with 4 FGs.
G08
Hall of Famer

I thought Nagy did a masterful job of adjusting his offense to Vic Fangio's defense. He broke most of his tendencies and protected his QB in the process. An inch here and an inch there could have resulted in some big plays which is something the offense clearly is lacking.

I think Nagy opens it up a bit against Washington. They're a poor defense and he needs to start building up Trubisky's confidence while putting these plays on tape to keep defenses honest.

I think Bears win "big" here... 24-14. Trubisky goes for 250+ and 2 TDs
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malk
Head Coach

Screw it, this is time to break out. Trubisky has his 1st 100 plus QB rating game of the season and throws 3 TDs and no interceptions. Monty bags another TD and Eddie D chips in with a couple of field goals.

The defence doesn't get gassed, completely shuts out the run and flat out dominates against the pass. A strip sack for Mack and Jackson opens up the 2019 interception account.

Woo.

Bears 34, Washington 3,
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:57 am I may or may not have a ticket for this game ... depends on how many of my neighbor's family shows up for game day

the Redskins stadium is kind of a shitty place to watch a football game unless you are willing to pony up mega bucks to sit in the club section ... so to be honest, I will be happy enough watching from home or at Buffalo Wild Wings

as to the game, I think the teams are kind of equal on the offensive side ... Keenum hasn't been the reason the Redskins are losing, he just has minimal support ... and I certainly give the edge to the Bears defense

I think it will be another close game, but this week is the week the Bears defense gets their first TD of the season ... that and a couple of second half field goals will clinch it ... Redskins final score making it closer than it is will happen as time runs out on some weird play that is reviewed for 10 minutes before counted

Bears 26 Redskins 16
I'm a quarter-turn around the beltway from FedEx field. I'm tempted, but none of my buddies are up for it, and I also hate FedEx field, so I'll probably watch from home
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

BEARS 12

SKINS 6

NO explanation needed.
mohner1
Practice Squad

The tape is out on Biscuit and Nagy.

Bears 14
Skins 18
“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Talk is that the Redskins defense is horrendous. But they lost to 2 playoff teams whose QBs are playing lots better than Biscuit is. And their offense isn't terrible. But they haven't played a defense like ours. I think that's going to be a problem for them and the difference in the game. Still, the Bears O is going to have to prove it to me before I'm predicting high flying scores from them. For some reason, I think the limited TOs in Bear games is going to pick up a bit on both sides of the ball.

Bears 20
Redskins 15
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.