Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I'm kind of surprised at people bagging on Trubisky.... not so much on ESPN, but on this freaking board. Are you all buying into the narrative that he's some bum?

What the hell is going on?

25/31 (80.6%) 231 yards 7.5 YPA 3 TDs 1 INT and a 116.5 rating. His throw to Taylor Gabriel was elite, but yes his INT to Norman was awful. Support your QB man, he's freaking young and is going to have his ups and downs.

Here's a Hall of Famer that entered year 2 of his current offense: through 4 games in that season he was 112/177 (63.28%), 929 yards 5.25 YPA 1 TD 9 INTs and a 57.4 rating.

Give. It. Time.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

BR0D1E86
MVP

I feel like I should be clear on my thoughts because I’ve been pretty negative....

This team is loaded. It’s the NFL’s best defense, the skill position players are very good, the offensive line was a strength as recently as last season.

Trubisky is the single limiting factor in this team absolutely exploding, and I see absolutely no growth from him whatsoever. His mechanics are bad in exactly the same way they were two years ago, it’s his third season and he still does not come off his first read, he still misreads defenses basically constantly. Yeah, when he plays a defense that’s incapable of covering his first read all night he’ll look fine. That’s not going to be the case if they make the playoffs.

They’re still a good team overall that’s going to win more than they lose. But I have absolutely, positively zero confidence in this offense’s ability to move the ball down the field with any consistency against even mediocre defenses. And it’s entirely because of the quarterback. 100%

He very much looks like a badly blown pick that is going to turn what could have been a long super bowl contention window into a playoff contention window.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

That was a super fun game to watch. Our defense was just sick when they weren't in prevent mode.

Regarding Biscuit, I made another post about him. It's all about your perspective. If you're looking at winning this week, you can be thrilled. If you're hoping to win 3-4 playoff games, there's reason for concern.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:18 am I'm kind of surprised at people bagging on Trubisky.... not so much on ESPN, but on this freaking board. Are you all buying into the narrative that he's some bum?

What the hell is going on?

25/31 (80.6%) 231 yards 7.5 YPA 3 TDs 1 INT and a 116.5 rating. His throw to Taylor Gabriel was elite, but yes his INT to Norman was awful. Support your QB man, he's freaking young and is going to have his ups and downs.

Here's a Hall of Famer that entered year 2 of his current offense: through 4 games in that season he was 112/177 (63.28%), 929 yards 5.25 YPA 1 TD 9 INTs and a 57.4 rating.

Give. It. Time.
^ +1

I enjoyed this game. The Skins came in trying to save their season, salvage their pride, and were pimped slapped. The hate to Bisky is a bit overblown, but it is a Bears fan tradition so...LOL. He needs to make more improvement for sure, but his coach is helping. He is doing 1 thing better with his mechanics, he is pivoting his hips with the throw more often than not than I saw last year. Hopefully this will translate as the season goes on. The kid has room to grow, and I think he will. The Oline was better (Leno) but is still pretty damn shaky, Bisky has had few pockets to stand/step into this year. I REALLY want Monty to start getting more regular work in a series, not just finishing games. For the season long Meta, it is good for teams to have to plan for Cohen or Patterson to run inside, but we really need to get Monty 15-20 touches and let the offense build off of him.

What can you say about the D except they are legit. Beyond legit. We need them to put on a fierce show next week against Minn, as their D is likely to make our offense have some troubles.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

With this defense I will take that stat line from Biscuit every single time. No way we lose like that.

I refuse to write this guy off or to get overly negative on him. At the same time I need to be objective and call it down the middle.

I still believe he can be a top QB in this league because when we play to his strengths he’s unreal. Those strengths are being on the move, limiting his thinking and just letting him rock and fire.

Something has happened to him mentally. I don’t know if somebody at Halas Hall or a coach said something to him or if he’s letting the media get in his head I don’t know. I’m not seeing the Swag like I saw last year. Whiskey mentioned the deer in highlights. That’s exactly what I’m seeing at times too. The guy has a confidence problem and I think he gets rattled.

A lot of this is a function of the offensive line. It’s fucking horrible, but it’s always more fashionable and easier to understand to just flame the QB. They can’t run block for shit either.

Add the o-line embarrassment to the calls Nagy writes up and it’s kinda like Martz 2.0 out there sometimes wherein the QB is being setup to fail. Simplify the playbook, tear Hiestand a new one over the line and tell him to figure that thing out, and play to Biscuit’s strengths and the turnaround will happen.
BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:50 am
BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:38 pm

This, in a nutshell, is how I feel about the game. Not many teams have defenses that bad.
Who cares about the media narrative? They were obviously wrong about the Eagles, they’re playing very poorly. And Dallas IS that good.

My gripe is this Is lovie’s Bears all over again. The offense can’t score h less the defense is giving it massive amounts of turnovers. And many times, the defense is going to get the job done. But if the defense has an off game, unless they are playing an nfl worst defense, the offense can’t compensate.

I don’t see how anyone could watch Trubisky and claim they are any growth, at all. Period. I don’t think he’s improved even to a miniscule degree since entering the league, he’s just not in as stupid of an offense.
Last edited by BR0D1E86 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:01 am

Who cares about the media narrative? They were obviously wrong about the Eagles, they’re playing very poorly. And Dallas IS that good.
What about the Cowboys tells you that Dallas IS that good? I'm honestly curious.
They are 3-0 and have played teams with a single combined win. I'll give you that they are averaging about 30 points a game, but it's not like the teams they've played are postseason contenders.

1 - Bears lose to Packers in an underwhelming performance by both teams where both Mitch and a 1st ballot hall of fame QB look equally bad. Mitch is garbage.

2 - Bears win a hard fought victory where Mitch makes a perfect play when it was needed. They win a game that they previously would have lost 10 out of 10 times. Mitch still sucks.

3 - Bears win convincingly in a game that was over by halftime. Mitch throws 3 TD's (one of which maybe only 2-3 other QB's can make), plays well, and has a pretty banner day statistically. The Bears have some banged up players and as such, they let their foot off the gas and coast a little knowing that the game was never out of hand. They end up not winning 53-3. Mitch isn't progressing.
BR0D1E86
MVP

But the bears wouldn’t have needed that play against Denver if the quarterback was not so inept that he only had 90 passing yards at that point.

In week 1 Rodgers was playing the NFL’s best defense in a brand new offensive system. Trubisky wasn’t.

Trubisky was fine against a horrible, horrible defense. And if you want to poo-poo who Dallas has beaten, the teams we’ve beaten are 0-6.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 am

What about the Cowboys tells you that Dallas IS that good? I'm honestly curious.
They are 3-0 and have played teams with a single combined win. I'll give you that they are averaging about 30 points a game, but it's not like the teams they've played are postseason contenders.

1 - Bears lose to Packers in an underwhelming performance by both teams where both Mitch and a 1st ballot hall of fame QB look equally bad. Mitch is garbage.

2 - Bears win a hard fought victory where Mitch makes a perfect play when it was needed. They win a game that they previously would have lost 10 out of 10 times. Mitch still sucks.

3 - Bears win convincingly in a game that was over by halftime. Mitch throws 3 TD's (one of which maybe only 2-3 other QB's can make), plays well, and has a pretty banner day statistically. The Bears have some banged up players and as such, they let their foot off the gas and coast a little knowing that the game was never out of hand. They end up not winning 53-3. Mitch isn't progressing.
Truth Wab. remember when it was common knowledge that QBs took 3 full seasons to completely develop? Just because a handful have been good to go from season 1 on, everyone has absurd expectations.
wab
Mod

Just because a handful have been good to go from season 1 on, everyone has absurd expectations.
He's not Mahomes - or doing what Mahomes does - so he's basically no good.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:41 am
Just because a handful have been good to go from season 1 on, everyone has absurd expectations.
I think a lot more of the dopey fans would fall in love with Trubisky if he was kind of an Andrew Shaw character, total cartoon swaggering shithead. They'd forgive the picks and stuff because "he's got the fire."

Alternatively, Trubisky would be just as beloved if he was a 5th or 6th round pick who worked his way up from nothing and supplanted an elite, highly paid quarterback. Fans sometimes just have it in for anyone of prestige, as if they're upset that the face of their "blue collar" franchise doesn't represent them, the couch-sitting fatass.

Plus some fans would always rather be right than the Bears be good.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:49 am
I think a lot more of the dopey fans would fall in love with Trubisky if he was kind of an Andrew Shaw character, total cartoon swaggering shithead. They'd forgive the picks and stuff because "he's got the fire."

Alternatively, Trubisky would be just as beloved if he was a 5th or 6th round pick who worked his way up from nothing and supplanted an elite, highly paid quarterback. Fans sometimes just have it in for anyone of prestige, as if they're upset that the face of their "blue collar" franchise doesn't represent them, the couch-sitting fatass.

It’s also easier to point the finger at the QB all the time. Just like how people want baseball managers fired because their team sucks. Well sure, it’s an easier “fix” than gutting the whole farm system, getting a new GM, trying to figure out how to dump all the shitty contracts, and recruiting good players to play for a shitshow all the while convincing a fan base for pay hundreds of dollars to see a ball game.

Same thing here. Let’s just all blame Biscuit for everything and ignore the problems with the offensive line, his actual stats, the fact that he has a record of 13-4 as the starter of this team under Nagy and that last year he damn near won us a playoff game and would’ve done so had it not been for the double doink.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm not going to pretend that Trubisky might not get better than he is right now. He might be one of those guys for whom the game just never slows down. It's certainly possible.

I'm also not going to pretend he's the second coming of Cade McNown. He's not, if by attitude alone. The flashes I see in Trubisky are tantalizing. Can't say that about many of his predecessors.

He's not Mahomes or Watson. He'll be compared to those two his whole career, through none of his own doing. I can't hold it against him for who he was drafted instead of. That's not the player's fault.

I think we all would like him to be great. I see some growth and I also see some shortcomings. It's almost like — and hear me out here — the guy is a fallible human being who isn't perfect all the time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BR0D1E86
MVP

There is a wide gap between Mahomes and what would be acceptable quarterback play. This past game was acceptable. His first two games were embarrassing even by a Chicago Bear quarterback standards.

And believe me, I’d rather be wrong. I’d love nothing more for my comments here to be hilarious signature lines in the future when he’s playing great. This team is primed to win super bowls... plural. All we need is consistently mediocre quarterback play.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:10 pm
UOK wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:49 am

It’s also easier to point the finger at the QB all the time. Just like how people want baseball managers fired because their team sucks. Well sure, it’s an easier “fix” than gutting the whole farm system, getting a new GM, trying to figure out how to dump all the shitty contracts, and recruiting good players to play for a shitshow all the while convincing a fan base for pay hundreds of dollars to see a ball game.

Same thing here. Let’s just all blame Biscuit for everything and ignore the problems with the offensive line, his actual stats, the fact that he has a record of 13-4 as the starter of this team under Nagy and that last year he damn near won us a playoff game and would’ve done so had it not been for the double doink.
This post blows my mind. What is this "fix" you're talking about and who suggested it? "Let's just all blame Biscuit for everything". Who has done that? His record is 13-4 under Nagy. Does the NFL coach of the year get any credit for that? How about the best defense in the league? Those things are apparently irrelevant?Image
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Wounded Bear
MVP

So Mitch Trubisky was 25/31 for 231 with 9.24 yards per reception.

If you factor out Taylor Gabriel's 54 yard touchdown catch (which was beautiful), Mitch averaged 7.38 yards per reception (24 for 177).

I guess I was hoping for more than a "dink and dunk" offense when we drafted Mitch especially when we play a team like Washington (and especially when we have a receiving corps that we have assembled).

Compare that to Daniel Jones first game in the NFL against Tampa last week: 23/36 for 336 with 2 TD's and 0 INT's and 14.6 yards per reception.

Is it possible that Mitch will get better? Yes. And I really hope he does since I like everything else about him.

Will he get better? I don't know.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:21 pm

This post blows my mind. What is this "fix" you're talking about and who suggested it? "Let's just all blame Biscuit for everything". Who has done that? His record is 13-4 under Nagy. Does the NFL coach of the year get any credit for that? How about the best defense in the league? Those things are apparently irrelevant?Image

13-4? What’s Mahommes record?

I’m totally kidding.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Everybody on the team gets credit and blame for the record. The 13-4 belongs just as much to Biscuit as it does to Mack, Roquan, Miller, Nagy, RRH all of them.

The TEAM wins when Biscuit is the QB and that record is 13-4. I'm very happy with that especially given the other factors that have impacted Biscuit's development and his play this year which isn't nearly as bad as its being made out to be.

In the media and this forum I've seen the following commentary:

Get a new QB off the scrap heap this year.
Next year in FA go out and sign a high priced QB like Mariotta.
Nagy allegedly "destroyed" our trust with his comments about Biscuit's progress.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

My point about the "fix" is that often times people don't speak to either the root problem because they don't understand it or its too complicated to correct. Like the manager in baseball example I used. Its easier to fire the manager and blame him when there's so much more to it. A lot of this reminds me of all the crap Cutler took during the Martz and J'Marcus Webb era. Let's draft a young QB, give him the keys to a complex offense, have the offensive line regress to below average, and then sit here and wonder why the QB has problems.

In addition to the offensive line Nagy needs to take some heat for this too. We drafted a QB that is much better on the move and when he doesn't have to think. That doesn't make him a bad QB or a bust. It means that just maybe Nagy can't copy-->paste his offense and just expect there to be results. Tailor the scheme to the strengths of the players you have.

Biscuit can do this. We saw this last year in the regular season and the playoffs. The guy is a baller and more importantly he's a leader. They'll figure this out and we'll move on.

I'm not making excuses for Biscuit. This is the year he needs to make the leap forward. Yet when you look at his numbers compared to the commentary you'd be thinking he was a train wreck. He's not.
G08
Hall of Famer

My gripe is this Is lovie’s Bears all over again. The offense can’t score h less the defense is giving it massive amounts of turnovers. And many times, the defense is going to get the job done. But if the defense has an off game, unless they are playing an nfl worst defense, the offense can’t compensate.

I don’t see how anyone could watch Trubisky and claim they are any growth, at all. Period. I don’t think he’s improved even to a miniscule degree since entering the league, he’s just not in as stupid of an offense.
I care about it because it is infiltrating the minds of Chicago Bears fans... big enough fans that spend their time on various message boards.

How can you call this Lovie's Bears all over again? Do you think Matt Nagy's playbook is akin to Ron Turner? Mike Martz? Mike Tice? Come on, dude. This isn't an incompetent offense -- this is an offense that is still growing and developing.

Again, for the millionth time (not directed at you): Matt Nagy, Brad Childress, and every coach who teaches the West Coast Offense (or a derivative) says it takes three years to get comfortable in this offense. Childress said it takes more like five years.

Mitch Trubisky has 17 games of experience in this scheme: 66.29% completions, 3802 yards, 27 TDs, 14 INTs, 92.7 rating and averages 7.08 yards per attempt.

He sucks? He's garbage? He's incompetent? It's god damned infuriating reading what I'm reading across various Bears boards / twitter.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Yet armchair GM's salivate over mariotta who is 2 full seasons further in, no better (actually worse IMO) always hurt or dinged and hasn't throw for more than 13 TD's since 2016 and throws more interceptions the last few seasons.

The same people would be screaming 6 games in about the 30 million the bears paid him and he is a bum.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Under performing teams, usually a player off those teams gets thrown under the bus. The easiest person to throw is the QB. Wentz is catching hell in Philly. No one cares that his top 2 WRs have missed significant time already and his OL is banged up. Baker is awful now (can't stand him so love the hate he is getting). Eli benched (justified but we will see how Jones fares in the next few weeks).

Bears fans are used to shitty play by QBs. Some Bears fans were all over the hype this off season and can't take the early bumps the O has shown.

It is frustrating when the QBs taken ahead of Trubs are kicking ass and taking names. I get it. He is not them and will never come close to Mahomes and people need to realize that.

Enjoy the D and hope the O can get their shit together.
BeattieFeathers
Practice Squad

The above stats and percentages, a couple above are posting. Are inflated in this flag football era. The fact is, he's choppy, not consistent. . the defense helps out enough that his couple lucky shots down field, appear as more of a positive.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Out of these starting QB's drafted in the last four years:
-Kyler Murray
-Lamar Jackson
-Josh Allen
-Baker Mayfield
-Dak Prescott
-Deshaun Watson
-Jacoby Brissett
-Patrick Mahomes
-Jared Goff
-Josh Rosen
-Daniel Jones
-Sam Darnold
-Carson Wentz
-and should I throw in Gardner Minshew?

Where does Mitch Trubisky rank among them?
And for those who rank below him, who has the bigger upside?
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richie
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:02 am Out of these starting QB's drafted in the last four years:
-Kyler Murray
-Lamar Jackson
-Josh Allen
-Baker Mayfield
-Dak Prescott
-Deshaun Watson
-Jacoby Brissett
-Patrick Mahomes
-Jared Goff
-Josh Rosen
-Daniel Jones
-Sam Darnold
-Carson Wentz
-and should I throw in Gardner Minshew?

Where does Mitch Trubisky rank among them?
And for those who rank below him, who has the bigger upside?
I don't consider Minshew, Jones or Murray as even qualifying for a grade. So, I suppose we can begin there. It's not that I'm saying they can't or won't be great. Hell, they could be hall of fame QB's. I just don't think there's a sample size yet.

Rosen... I just feel bad for the guy. However, I can't put him ahead of Mitch either. Getting a read on Rosen's upside is very difficult given the situations that he's been thrown into. I remember watching some film breakdowns of him in the off-season which made me truly feel that he performed okay and that his supporting cast just crippled him. I'll go with Mitch all around over Rosen. That's almost a wash-out for poor Josh, though.

Mahomes... ha... must we even speak further.

Watson. I feel he's been crowned far too soon. The guy has a great feel for ripping the cover off of poor defense's and for some reason. He's really been slobbered over by the general public over this. Despite the fact that he seems to really struggle against tougher competition. His stat line against Jacksonville in week 2 was IDENTICAL to Mitch in week 2 vs Denver. His surface numbers were very, very similar to Mitch last year and his playoff performance was a catastrophe. Where Mitch saved a pedestrian showing with a great 4th quarter.

I go Watson. However, I do not think it's as cemented as many others do.

Dak? I guess you've got to go Dak. I don't view him as having much upside. I think he is what he is right now. A solid NFL QB. Nothing more and nothing less. That's better than Mitch, though.

You've got to go Wentz. The guy was an MVP candidate (likely winner if he does not get hurt). He's had his struggles since that point, but there's no denying that he's better than Mitch.

Baker? Great rookie year. Some signs of a sophomore slump early in year #2. I still think he's further along as a QB than Mitch. Upside is probably better too.

I remain terribly unimpressed by Goff. I don't think there's much to the guy. He's a bit ahead of Mitch right now. However, their ceilings are probably similar.

I like Brissett. I knew he would be solid in relief of Luck and said that Indy could still be a playoff team. I don't, however, think there's much more there than what we are seeing. He's solid and ahead of Mitch. I don't think his ceiling is higher, though.

Jackson/Allen/Darnold

It's still a bit too early for me with these three. I can't put any ahead of Trubisky. Jackson has all the signs of a gimmicky run-first QB who will have a flare up and then burn out fast like most do. He was all over the place vs KC. Allen has come along, but still struggles with accuracy. Darnold made some progress, but now this Mono thing.

They're probably right there Trubisky right now, to be honest. Maybe even good examples of where Trubisky is at. The problem is that Trubisky has a year on them. Still, they're still too fresh out of the oven.
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:50 pm

I care about it because it is infiltrating the minds of Chicago Bears fans... big enough fans that spend their time on various message boards.

How can you call this Lovie's Bears all over again? Do you think Matt Nagy's playbook is akin to Ron Turner? Mike Martz? Mike Tice? Come on, dude. This isn't an incompetent offense -- this is an offense that is still growing and developing.

Again, for the millionth time (not directed at you): Matt Nagy, Brad Childress, and every coach who teaches the West Coast Offense (or a derivative) says it takes three years to get comfortable in this offense. Childress said it takes more like five years.

Mitch Trubisky has 17 games of experience in this scheme: 66.29% completions, 3802 yards, 27 TDs, 14 INTs, 92.7 rating and averages 7.08 yards per attempt.

He sucks? He's garbage? He's incompetent? It's god damned infuriating reading what I'm reading across various Bears boards / twitter.
Those numbers are not good, though.

And almost a quarter of his TD's came in one game against possibly the worst pass D of the decade. That's also not good.

I'm not saying he's hopeless trash, but yeesh.

Those numbers are not really pleasant. Good frames can't save bad paintings.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:17 pm
Mikefive wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:21 pm This post blows my mind. What is this "fix" you're talking about and who suggested it? "Let's just all blame Biscuit for everything". Who has done that? His record is 13-4 under Nagy. Does the NFL coach of the year get any credit for that? How about the best defense in the league? Those things are apparently irrelevant?Image
Everybody on the team gets credit and blame for the record. The 13-4 belongs just as much to Biscuit as it does to Mack, Roquan, Miller, Nagy, RRH all of them.

The TEAM wins when Biscuit is the QB and that record is 13-4. I'm very happy with that especially given the other factors that have impacted Biscuit's development and his play this year which isn't nearly as bad as its being made out to be.

In the media and this forum I've seen the following commentary:

Get a new QB off the scrap heap this year.
Next year in FA go out and sign a high priced QB like Mariotta.
Nagy allegedly "destroyed" our trust with his comments about Biscuit's progress.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

My point about the "fix" is that often times people don't speak to either the root problem because they don't understand it or its too complicated to correct. Like the manager in baseball example I used. Its easier to fire the manager and blame him when there's so much more to it. A lot of this reminds me of all the crap Cutler took during the Martz and J'Marcus Webb era. Let's draft a young QB, give him the keys to a complex offense, have the offensive line regress to below average, and then sit here and wonder why the QB has problems.

In addition to the offensive line Nagy needs to take some heat for this too. We drafted a QB that is much better on the move and when he doesn't have to think. That doesn't make him a bad QB or a bust. It means that just maybe Nagy can't copy-->paste his offense and just expect there to be results. Tailor the scheme to the strengths of the players you have.

Biscuit can do this. We saw this last year in the regular season and the playoffs. The guy is a baller and more importantly he's a leader. They'll figure this out and we'll move on.

I'm not making excuses for Biscuit. This is the year he needs to make the leap forward. Yet when you look at his numbers compared to the commentary you'd be thinking he was a train wreck. He's not.
Sorry about my post yesterday. You never said that Biscuit was the sole reason for the Nagy era record, so it was a bit outrageous for me to suggest that you weren't considering all factors that went into it.

(I just found out that the card key system is broken at the door about 15' from my desk. So in order to save the company a $1000 service call, I now get to be the door man about 50x a day to let people into my work area. Ironically enough, when I need to go just about anywhere (and I do a lot), to get back to my desk, I have to make an additional 60 yard loop through 5 doors. And it's going to be like this for the next 2-4 weeks. So yesterday wasn't my best day. Sorry I took it out on you.)

Mitch isn't a train wreck. I'm just frustrated--in part due to the team's spending all offseason promoting how much better he is. The thing is... He wasn't a train wreck for Dowell Loggains either. He's pretty much the same guy today that he was then. One read and check down or run around the school yard. I think he's really good in improv mode and he can make throws on the run. But in year 3, I expected more NFL QB skill development and I'm just not seeing it. Case Keenum can go thru read progressions. But he doesn't have Biscuit's physical gifts. If Mitch could Keenum his way thru reads, our team would be unstoppable. Or if could just process that 2nd read, there'd be no 3 point offensive games. Instead, we have an offense that's limited by the trigger man. Yes, there are other issues with the OL, mostly run blocking I'd say. But when GB defenders say "we knew we would win if we made Mitch play QB" (instead of letting him freelance), that's pretty damning. They're not saying we can win because our big guys are better than theirs.

Mitch has so much room for growth. I just wish we were seeing it.

G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:39 am
G08 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:50 pm

Those numbers are not good, though.

And almost a quarter of his TD's came in one game against possibly the worst pass D of the decade. That's also not good.

I'm not saying he's hopeless trash, but yeesh.

Those numbers are not really pleasant. Good frames can't save bad paintings.
A 66+% completion percentage at 7.08 yards per attempt and 27 TDs/14INTs aren't good? A 92.7 rating is not really pleasant?

I prefer a > 2:1 TD to INT ratio but woof ...strongly agree to disagree here, especially for a young QB.

malk
Head Coach

@G08 It's the TD:INT that's the thing. He needs to be pushing 3:1, if not beating it, before he bags a 2nd contract at NFL starting QB level. There's time to grow into that but... tick tock.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Sometimes I don't know how to feel about a fan base who's most beloved QB was Kyle Orton.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Kyle Orton is the Bears equivalent to the Mendoza line in baseball

we want, and expect, a QB as good or better than Orton, and will bring out the torches and pitchforks for anyone worse

I think Trubisky is above the Orton line, and has the potential to go well above and beyond ... he just has some glitches right now that need to be worked out
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin