Mark Helfrich and Brad Childress where art thou

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

So with all the talk regarding the offence can we possibly have a discussion about what positives the two mentioned guys are bringing to the team?

For those more in tune with college football then me have we got any thing from Helfrich in this offence?

What exactly is brad Childress bringing?

Listening to Nagy he says a lot of

I will sort this OR I this I that....like it’s a team effort. Your supposed to include coordinators in this progression or plan. Is he suffocating the coordinators into being natural yes men.

This board has some fantastic knowledge so let’s crack this case wide open
Have a great day
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Maybe Childress can play RG?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Aware your being facetious with that point on a message board where the whole point is to debate but I’ll bite.

Our line hasn’t played great but our woes go deeper then that.
TE’S woeful
Running backs not hitting the right holes when created
Outside of Robinson receivers have been poor
Qb1 deer in headlights
QB2 2nd highest paid back up in the NFL trash

You can place all the blame with the line if you like but in reality the whole unit hasn’t played well. Which in turn opens up the coordinator and consultant for debate
Have a great day
UOK
Site Admin

The offense runs through Nagy, and the players need to be healthy and prepared to execute the gameplan. There's a medley of problems the team needs to work through, but until we see the season come to an end we can't really safely point a single finger, much less thinking that two random quality control coaches/braintrustees are the difference. No doubt Nagy, Helfrich, and Childress are at Halas Hall this week self-scouting.

The Bears are missing Jordan Howard quite a bit right about now, because he's the ideal back for "everything's going to hell and we really need to ground-and-pound as much as possible." Montgomery and Cohen aren't that back.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think if they can get the line back to serviceable it takes care of a lot of issues. Between the line clusterfuck and minimal running game it dink’s up the entire offense. We have good offensive talent but it isn’t star talent that can overcome systematic failures in 1/2 the offense making them one dimensional.

Monty is missing some plays as well, waiting for a hole to appear. He needs to be more decisive which I think will come. It’s just a rookie nfl adjustment thing I believe. Mostly the line being dogshit in run blocking has messed it up.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Olin has been on point lately. There is a lot wrong right now. The bye was well timed for this mess.

wab
Mod

The Bears are playing average right now because the OL has played poorly and the running game is impacted because of it. It's that simple. There's no need to over-complicate it.

Olin is only partially right. This offense is built around the threat of a running game. I heard a blurb (I can't remember the podcast for the life of me, but it wasn't Bears specific) that on average, Montgomery's first contact with a defender has been at or behind the LOS. The fact that he's gained the yards he has is nothing short of astonishing.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

With the way the Vikings and Raiders both teed off on running plays, I'm willing to bet there's a commonality among the formations that's tipping the pitch, to mix metaphors.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I thought this was a fun fact...

On rushes to the right side when it is 3rd or 4th down with 2 or fewer yards to go, the Bears have achieved a first down only 33% of the time. This also includes TD rushes on 1st-and-goal and 2nd-and-goal from the opponent's 2-yard line or closer.

The Bears are successful 100% of the time running left.

If you break it down to rushes between Daniels and Long, it drops to 17%

Granted, I don't know the sample size, but the percentages are telling.
IE
Hall of Famer

Something has to be done about Nagy's play-calling. If I was Pace, I'd tell Nagy to hand his play sheet to one of these other guys.

But I have a pet conspiracy theory: Nagy and Pace are in cahoots and both realize the Trubisky pick didn't work out and are in some kind of damage-control mode where they showcase what he can't do enough to pull the trigger on him in attempt to save themselves ...Mitch, meet bus tires.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

Helfrich has never called an NFL game, so that's probably unlikely. Childress may be the go-to up in the booth.
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:49 am Helfrich has never called an NFL game, so that's probably unlikely. Childress may be the go-to up in the booth.
Still ... not sure Helfrich's floor as an OC is as low as Nagy's.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:48 am
UOK wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:49 am Helfrich has never called an NFL game, so that's probably unlikely. Childress may be the go-to up in the booth.
Still ... not sure Helfrich's floor as an OC is as low as Nagy's.
This is where I am at.
wab
Mod

I know Helfrich has never called an NFL game, but that's true for every OC up until the first time they called an NFL game.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Judging by the limited looks we got in pre season I'd rather Ragone called plays as that game seemed a much better called game.

You can't do that however without shelving Helfrich because that is a big slap in the face when the QB coach gets the gig
Have a great day