Riley Ridley?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

I probably missed it but what happened to Ridley Ridley?

There appeared to be good vibes about this guy but I have not heard his name mentioned since the season started.

Is he on the roster?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ridley is listed on the depth chart as Anthony Miller's backup

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/depth-chart
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Maybe they can see if he is a dumb penalty machine.
wab
Mod

Bears are pretty deep at WR and he was hurt pretty much all camp, so him not getting on the field isn't all that surprising.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think I saw recently (like yesterday) that he was "activated". I have no idea what that means on Weds during a bye week. LOL

I'd like to see him. At this point my guess is Nagy is trotting out the WRs that 10 is most comfortable with... which explains Gabriel so much early on.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Umbali
MVP

This sure does not seem like season I was anticipating. Players I thought I would see some are invisible and results I thought we would have are non existent. I keep telling myself we were 3 and 2 last year as well.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

I feel like it's a red-shirt year got the kid. Maybe he'll get some burn as the season progresses / if injuries happen.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:41 am Ridley is listed on the depth chart as Anthony Miller's backup

Miller is breaking my heart right now. Somebody please tell me that he's still going to be great.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Wounded Bear
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:19 pm
Boris13c wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:41 am Ridley is listed on the depth chart as Anthony Miller's backup

Miller is breaking my heart right now. Somebody please tell me that he's still going to be great.
I don't understand this. I think on any team with half way decent QB play, Anthony Miller would be doing much much better. I don't say this to take a swipe at Mitch because I still have hope that Mitch gets his shit together, but to me, it's truly ridiculous that we have a wide receiver of his caliber with such anemic numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Anthony Miller fanboy because the dude irritates the shit out me with his propensity to draw personal fouls, but he really is a decent wide receiver given he has someone to get the ball to him.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:44 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:19 pm

I don't understand this. I think on any team with half way decent QB play, Anthony Miller would be doing much much better. I don't say this to take a swipe at Mitch because I still have hope that Mitch gets his shit together, but to me, it's truly ridiculous that we have a wide receiver of his caliber with such anemic numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Anthony Miller fanboy because the dude irritates the shit out me with his propensity to draw personal fouls, but he really is a decent wide receiver given he has someone to get the ball to him.
Allen Robinson is putting up typical Allen Robinson numbers, despite the QB play.
Taylor Gabriel is putting up typical Taylor Gabriel numbers*, despite the QB play.

I wouldn't hang my hopes on QB play being the main reason Miller has feeble numbers.

* per game, meaning excluding the 2 games he missed
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:59 am
Wounded Bear wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:44 am

Allen Robinson is putting up typical Allen Robinson numbers, despite the QB play.
Taylor Gabriel is putting up typical Taylor Gabriel numbers*, despite the QB play.

I wouldn't hang my hopes on QB play being the main reason Miller has feeble numbers.

You bring up a great point about AR15 and Gabriel.

Miller has such a high ceiling. The problem is that wide receivers can be prima donnas. I remember a press conference during TC that Nagy said Miller would shadow him and sometimes get too close or something like that IIRC while the offense was practicing. I almost wonder if he isn't in the dog house. Nagy doesn't strike me as the type that tolerates prima donnas. I don't believe there are any on the Bears. Look at Mack. The guy is a generational talent and during his interviews his tone of voice sounds like he just woke up from a nap.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:09 am
Moriarty wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:59 am

Really? By that metric we should be extremely disappointed in all of our wide receivers.

According to CBSsports.com, Allen Robinson is projected to get 64 receptions for 939 yards by the end of the year. Currently he has 277 through 5 games. To me, if Allen Robinson is on a top 10 QB team, he's a 1200 yard receiver. I mean, hell, he did 1400 on Jacksonville with Blake Bortles.

Seriously, let that sink in....Blake Bortles....1400 yards.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... -robinson/

If you want to peak at the stats, AR got 102, 41, and 60 yards in the Mitch games and got 77 and 97 yards with Chase Daniels. So the CBSsports.com stats may have over-estimated his season ending numbers since his average yards in the Chase Daniels games is higher.

---

Taylor Gabriel's year end yardage is projected at 54 reception for 576 yards. 576 yards?! For a #2 wide receiver? Now he's missed the last two games, so let's give him his average of another 112 yards. So that's 688 yards. Is 688yards number 2 wide-out numbers? I personally don't think so. And we want to get down on Anthony Miller for his numbers?

But again, our number 2 wide out is projected for 576 yards. Anemic.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... r-gabriel/

----

Anthony Miller is projected with 40 receptions and 564 yards by CBSsports.com. Wow. He's had 15 targets in 5 games and not all of those were exactly on the money and we want to blame Anthony Miller for sucking while not blaming the QB play?

Sorry man, I'm not trying to be a smart ass , but when you consider we have a QB who isn't comfortable going through his progressions, I don't understand that.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... ny-miller/
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:36 am
Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:09 am
Really? By that metric we should be extremely disappointed in all of our wide receivers.

According to CBSsports.com, Allen Robinson is projected to get 64 receptions for 939 yards by the end of the year. Currently he has 277 through 5 games. To me, if Allen Robinson is on a top 10 QB team, he's a 1200 yard receiver. I mean, hell, he did 1400 on Jacksonville with Blake Bortles.

Seriously, let that sink in....Blake Bortles....1400 yards.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... -robinson/

If you want to peak at the stats, AR got 102, 41, and 60 yards in the Mitch games and got 77 and 97 yards with Chase Daniels. So the CBSsports.com stats may have over-estimated his season ending numbers since his average yards in the Chase Daniels games is higher.

---

Taylor Gabriel's year end yardage is projected at 54 reception for 576 yards. 576 yards?! For a #2 wide receiver? Now he's missed the last two games, so let's give him his average of another 112 yards. So that's 688 yards. Is 688yards number 2 wide-out numbers? I personally don't think so. And we want to get down on Anthony Miller for his numbers?

But again, our number 2 wide out is projected for 576 yards. Anemic.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... r-gabriel/

----

Anthony Miller is projected with 40 receptions and 564 yards by CBSsports.com. Wow. He's had 15 targets in 5 games and not all of those were exactly on the money and we want to blame Anthony Miller for sucking while not blaming the QB play?

Sorry man, I'm not trying to be a smart ass , but when you consider we have a QB who isn't comfortable going through his progressions, I don't understand that.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... ny-miller/

Robinson currently has 377, which puts him on pace for over 1200 yds, 2nd best of his 5* season career

Taylor Gabriel is on pace for 587 yds if he played all 16. Yes, that's completely underwhelming for a #2...but it's also completely typical Taylor Gabriel numbers (it would be actually above his 500/yr avg and 3rd best of 6 seasons).

It's true that (if those numbers are correct) that Miller isn't getting a lot of attention. But it's also entirely possible that he isn't earning it, either.
His numbers did improve a little in the two games that Gabriel was out (and also when Daniels took over at QB). But they also gave Wims the start over Miller, which also says something.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'll say this: Dog house or not (f*ck that, actually), Miller is at LEAST the second best receiver on this team. If he's on the team, he needs to be out there AND targeted. Last year playing pitch and catch with Mitch he showed all the signs of being really really good. And tough. Yet now, after "more learning" in Nagy's system this WR regressed? I don't think so. NAGY regressed.

I maintain... not using Miller (and also Wims who looks like a Marques Colston-like steal) properly is near criminal negligence. Whoever is responsible for that needs to get their shit together. Quick.
wab
Mod

It doesn't matter who it is, nothing will get better until the OL gets better. Robinson is out there catching balls on pure will.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah -understand about the line. I've been proposing that are additional ways to help the situation by putting the bigger, longer, stronger, tougher WRs out there to play jump ball and bail Mitch out with more margin for error. That would be Wims, Miller and even Ridley over Gabriel and Cohen. And instead of targeting Burton for that matter. He's not a real friggin tight end. And Patterson isn't a WR - he's a running back, and a good one at that. I see tons of talent going to waste in addition to the Oline being bad (at run blocking mostly, but yeah I know...).
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think if Miller quit doing stupid shit he would probably play more.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:16 pm
Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:36 am

Robinson currently has 377, which puts him on pace for over 1200 yds, 2nd best of his 5* season career
Oops. I apologize. But I do think that those numbers speak to Mitch's propensity to throw to his first read. Thankfully, Allen Robinson is a damn good first read.
Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:16 pmTaylor Gabriel is on pace for 587 yds if he played all 16. Yes, that's completely underwhelming for a #2...but it's also completely typical Taylor Gabriel numbers (it would be actually above his 500/yr avg and 3rd best of 6 seasons).
But he wasn't a #2 wide-out in his previous 4 seasons if we're going to give this argument a proper context.
Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:16 pmIt's true that (if those numbers are correct) that Miller isn't getting a lot of attention. But it's also entirely possible that he isn't earning it, either.
His numbers did improve a little in the two games that Gabriel was out (and also when Daniels took over at QB). But they also gave Wims the start over Miller, which also says something.
Listen, I do think there may be something to what you are saying. He is ostensibly a mouthy fucking dick of sorts and if a majority of fans are getting that impression, then it may be true. And Nagy may not be appreciating a guy who is giving his young QB shit every time Mitch doesn't throw to him when he's open. It does nothing for his confidence and it's annoying.

But I do think he's talented. I've heard the only reason why Paxton Lynch was considered to be a borderline first round talent was only because of Anthony Miller. But that's college and this is the NFL...
Neil deGrasse Tyson