For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I liked this tweet regarding Trubisky

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

One of my greatest hopes for Mitch is he earns some kind of great nickname organically and it sticks. Because Biscuit is the single worst nickname I've ever heard for a player that is actually liked. It's horrible. To me it is on the level of calling him Timmay from South Park. Just... bad.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:38 am One of my greatest hopes for Mitch is he earns some kind of great nickname organically and it sticks. Because Biscuit is the single worst nickname I've ever heard for a player that is actually liked. It's horrible. To me it is on the level of calling him Timmay from South Park. Just... bad.
I always liked Mitch’s Bitches for the wide receivers.
IE
Hall of Famer

Well, that context explains a lot. LOL
WP.1
Player of the Month

following Draft and watching all of MT College tape, my comparison was
M. Mariota

well
wab
Mod

WP.1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:13 am following Draft and watching all of MT College tape, my comparison was
M. Mariota

well
Those are certainly all words...
wab
Mod

No commitment to Mitch starting on Sunday - just that he's working on getting his shoulder stronger.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:13 pm No commitment to Mitch starting on Sunday - just that he's working on getting his shoulder stronger.
I kinda like the approach, for multiple reasons. One is why let the Saints know what is going on? Second... my preference would be to let Chase start, and see how it goes. THEN if needed, bring in 10 to spark them (it will). There's some advantage to see the game in the 3rd person prior to going in. So this seems like all upside, unless Mitch is really not feeling the shoulder and feels like he can't go...
dplank
Hall of Famer

Mitch blows.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:43 pmMitch blows.
Sure, he's below average at this point. But we had better hope he improves AND Nagy's use of him improves... because the alternatives are far less pleasant.

Also of note: See what is happening when this offense (even when it is run by good QBS) encounters a good defense (e.g. KC, Rams, Eggles). Nagy better bust out his cookbook.
G08
Hall of Famer

Really?

G08
Hall of Famer

GSH
MVP

no offence but where im from, if someone is a bit intellectually challenged, they are called a plank.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:50 pm
IE wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm I personally like Mitch best when he's in Tarkenton mode, scrambling and making things happen. I hope Nagy's "self-scouting" includes noticing 10 is pretty effective at that.
If he has eyeballs, he should notice. Still, there are constructs to an offense and ideally Nagy would like to coach Mitch to operate within those whenever possible. I can't imagine he wants his offense devolving into some rudimentary backyard football pitch and catch.

I truly believe Nagy has been trying to call fairly basic plays from the pocket to help Mitch develop there, but the OL and running game are trash right now, so play action doesn't work and the pocket collapses faster than it should. I think that coming out of the bye, you will see more designed rollouts and more zone blocking.
Well stated. While we all want to see Biscuit doing what he does best... "Tarkenton mode"... DCs aren't stupid and if they have a good defense to work with, they're going to put him in position to do what he's not good at. As others have said, it is good that Biscuit tends to produce late in games. That might be his saving grace right now as he learns.

And for the record, just because I post an article here, doesn't mean that I 100% agree with it. Just that it's food for discussion. It's the former mod in me coming out. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IE
Hall of Famer

I just can't take anything seriously when someone calls their own starting QB "Biscuit". I don't care if he becomes a top 10 QB. Calling him Biscuit sounds like someone referring to Timmay! from South Park. Please please please... anything else. I'll never get used to it. Calling him Shithead would be better.

I personally believe that alone is what is holding him back - nobody has accountability when their nickname is Biscuit. It's like "here - here's a treat... now go ahead and suck because you only need to live up to the expectations your nickname sets".

Edit: One thing worse than wanting to see your QB use one of their better talents (their legs) is to see him out there as a destination QB for any defense who knows a) where he is going to be, and b) that he has questionable protection. Don't like my Tark reference? Pick another. But not at least partially exploiting 10's skills and nature to keep the defenses more honest...is a mistake.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:42 am I just can't take anything seriously when someone calls their own starting QB "Biscuit". I don't care if he becomes a top 10 QB. Calling him Biscuit sounds like someone referring to Timmay! from South Park. Please please please... anything else. I'll never get used to it. Calling him Shithead would be better.

I personally believe that alone is what is holding him back - nobody has accountability when their nickname is Biscuit. It's like "here - here's a treat... now go ahead and suck because you only need to live up to the expectations your nickname sets".

Edit: One thing worse than wanting to see your QB use one of their better talents (their legs) is to see him out there as a destination QB for any defense who knows a) where he is going to be, and b) that he has questionable protection. Don't like my Tark reference? Pick another. But not at least partially exploiting 10's skills and nature to keep the defenses more honest...is a mistake.

You really hate that nickname don’t you?
IE
Hall of Famer

I hate it worse than you hate Floyd. It's beyond bad. It's embarrassing.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Sir Biscuit of MacBiscuitsbergfordshire.
IE
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:04 pm Sir Biscuit of MacBiscuitsbergfordshire.
LOL. That's exactly what I see in my head when I read "Biscuit". I envision a super-dumb dachshund (not to pick on them, sorry) in a court jester's outfit. Like a dork that everyone makes fun of. So much for striking fear into the hearts of the opposition!

:kickme:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:38 pm I hate it worse than you hate Floyd. It's beyond bad. It's embarrassing.
Ok so that’s a pretty strong level of dislike. To me, Floyd is like a SBD fart where everybody smells it and at first they blame the dog until Dad starts laughing, but the smell just won’t leave the room.

What about The Truth? As in Trubisky?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I call him Money Mitch all the time, because he always seems to be money late in the 4th.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

"Mitch Please" is pretty funny and accurate
G08
Hall of Famer

Looks like Mariota's time is done in Tennessee. If no team throws starter's money at him in 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if he was brought in to backup Trubisky.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mariotta is going to get a short prove it deal from someone for $20 mill plus. It ain’t going to be here with the cap.
UOK
Site Admin

The only reason I think Mariota would end up here is because Pace at one point tried trading up for him (presumably) his first year as GM.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:03 pm
IE wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:38 pm I hate it worse than you hate Floyd. It's beyond bad. It's embarrassing.
Ok so that’s a pretty strong level of dislike. To me, Floyd is like a SBD fart where everybody smells it and at first they blame the dog until Dad starts laughing, but the smell just won’t leave the room.

I like The Truth - it has all kinds of meaning, from meaning really great to meaning the unfortunate reality that slaps us all in the face. :)

I just feel the Biscuit name is clownish, and hope it doesn't stick and become widespread. In the early 80's I was in a frat at U of I and as a pledge we had this lineup where we were forced to do all kinds of silly stuff. Most of it was fun/funny. Everyone was far less than sober. With the actives smoking cigars and sipping Jack and yelling. lol. One thing they had us do one time was go through the line of maybe 20 of us and every guy had to come up with an euphemism for a stiff dick. Under pressure, a few guys came up with things silly and embarrassing. And so naturally, everyone started calling them that as a nickname. That's how things happen. To this day 35+ years later people still refer to John as "Bone Wad" and Mark as "Stiffy". These guys are in their mid-50s. ROFL

So that's my deep dark fear, that "Biscuit" will stick to Mitch, with announcers and writers poking fun of him about it (like I would if I wasn't a Bear fan). I'm hoping something kind of cool happens on the field and he gets a good nickname organically. Anything but Biscuit. I'd actually prefer to call him Bone Wad. Hehe
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:03 pm

I like The Truth - it has all kinds of meaning, from meaning really great to meaning the unfortunate reality that slaps us all in the face. :)

I just feel the Biscuit name is clownish, and hope it doesn't stick and become widespread. In the early 80's I was in a frat at U of I and as a pledge we had this lineup where we were forced to do all kinds of silly stuff. Most of it was fun/funny. Everyone was far less than sober. With the actives smoking cigars and sipping Jack and yelling. lol. One thing they had us do one time was go through the line of maybe 20 of us and every guy had to come up with an euphemism for a stiff dick. Under pressure, a few guys came up with things silly and embarrassing. And so naturally, everyone started calling them that as a nickname. That's how things happen. To this day 35+ years later people still refer to John as "Bone Wad" and Mark as "Stiffy". These guys are in their mid-50s. ROFL

So that's my deep dark fear, that "Biscuit" will stick to Mitch, with announcers and writers poking fun of him about it (like I would if I wasn't a Bear fan). I'm hoping something kind of cool happens on the field and he gets a good nickname organically. Anything but Biscuit. I'd actually prefer to call him Bone Wad. Hehe
Done. The Truth it is.

G08
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:48 am Mariotta is going to get a short prove it deal from someone for $20 mill plus. It ain’t going to be here with the cap.
Hmm... I'm not so sure I agree but the again there are some QB needy teams in this league.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 am Looks like Mariota's time is done in Tennessee. If no team throws starter's money at him in 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if he was brought in to backup Trubisky.
wtf has happened to Mariotta? he is certainly a much different player these days and not in a good way

I don't think the Bears are going to pony up for him though until he shows he isn't not only on his way out of Tennessee but out of the NFL

as to Mitch, I am confused ... I really truly expected him to be on a higher and more stable level from last season ... then he lays an egg against Goon Bay and has been spastically erratic since

I don't get it ... especially after all the off season news of him and Nagy really bonding and getting a better playbook ready for the season

I know the O-line has been a problem, but that doesn't explain missing open receivers while he is upright and seemingly comfortable throwing

just don't get it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:30 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 am Looks like Mariota's time is done in Tennessee. If no team throws starter's money at him in 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if he was brought in to backup Trubisky.
wtf has happened to Mariotta? he is certainly a much different player these days and not in a good way

I don't think the Bears are going to pony up for him though until he shows he isn't not only on his way out of Tennessee but out of the NFL

as to Mitch, I am confused ... I really truly expected him to be on a higher and more stable level from last season ... then he lays an egg against Goon Bay and has been spastically erratic since

I don't get it ... especially after all the off season news of him and Nagy really bonding and getting a better playbook ready for the season

I know the O-line has been a problem, but that doesn't explain missing open receivers while he is upright and seemingly comfortable throwing

just don't get it
I went back and watched a bunch of his collegiate games and found myself marveling at how confident he was with his reads and making throws that, at least this season, he wouldn't dare attempt to make.

I think he's overwhelmed at this point, honestly. Where specifically that is occurring is beyond me. Could be reading defenses, could be converting routes in his head based on what the defense is doing post-snap, could be that defenses have a better read on Nagy and his scheme. Multiple accounts now that we have tendencies that tell the defense what play is coming so I'm sure it's a conglomerate of "bad" that's impacting our offense and QB in particular.

He's said in the past he's a repetition guy so it wouldn't surprise me if it takes him time -- and mistakes -- before he really settles into this offense. Question is how patient can we afford to be and how much can we trust that his work ethic + natural talents are enough for him to take us where we want to go.

Personally, I think (hope?) we'll see it before the season ends
Last edited by G08 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.