VIDEO: Pretty Good and Thorough Analysis of The Bears Offense's Issues

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Dardango
Journeyman

This is a really well-done analysis of the Bears issues on offense with game footage. Check it out.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

That's a good video. I think that it reveals two things. One, Nagy designs plays like he's playing Madden (which several others here have mentioned before). His run plays are too gadgety, and finally started working when he went to a straight I-Formation.

The most damming part to the video though is the part on Trubisky. He just doesn't see the field, and relies on a single input cue to make a decision (safety reaction post-snap). Not only can he NOT go through a simple NFL QB pass progression, he can't even do it on one side of the field. He continually makes poor decisions at the RPO mesh point, and he has lost his only weapon, which was his ability to run the ball. I THINK that's why he wasn't exposed so badly last year. This year, DB's are just turning their backs and running with the WR's, not concerned about Trubisky running. And pass rushers are just rushing to a spot.

Again. He couldn't beat out another QB on UNC for the position, who was never even drafted.

The question was brought up today during the game. Should we give Nagy another QB. I would way definitely. But we need to sign a FA, not draft one. I don't have faith that Pace would get it right.
Dardango
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:57 pm That's a good video. I think that it reveals two things. One, Nagy designs plays like he's playing Madden (which several others here have mentioned before). His run plays are too gadgety, and finally started working when he went to a straight I-Formation.

The most damming part to the video though is the part on Trubisky. He just doesn't see the field, and relies on a single input cue to make a decision (safety reaction post-snap). Not only can he NOT go through a simple NFL QB pass progression, he can't even do it on one side of the field. He continually makes poor decisions at the RPO mesh point, and he has lost his only weapon, which was his ability to run the ball. I THINK that's why he wasn't exposed so badly last year. This year, DB's are just turning their backs and running with the WR's, not concerned about Trubisky running. And pass rushers are just rushing to a spot.

Again. He couldn't beat out another QB on UNC for the position, who was never even drafted.

The question was brought up today during the game. Should we give Nagy another QB. I would way definitely. But we need to sign a FA, not draft one. I don't have faith that Pace would get it right.
Totally agree on Mitch not seeing the field. Not sure there is a fix for that, but the play design issues are REAL. The question is, would Nagy be willing to give up control an OC with a different vision that might include running the ball more? You're also right that a FA QB is the answer. The question is who that would be and would Nagy craft what he does to the capabilities of that player.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Well considering Nagy loves Daniel that's enough for me to not let him have a say. IDK who is out there or cut that would be an upgrade for next year.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Interesting video...

Only Vets I would like to see in here is Alex Smith (mainly) and maybe Dalton... If they got one of those two and drafted Fromm, Herbert or Love and sat them for a year or two then that means the Vet is doing good and the kid can learn.

They need to go all in on Trent Williams and draft another T early with a TE like Hopkins and need to find Nagy's version of Hill... Maybe a later round pick like Devin Duvernay. Who knows but I hope that Gabrielle, Cohen, Burton, and Shaheen are gone. Leno can back up both Ts and toss Massie to the curb finally. You need to build a top notch OLine before any QB can come in and be consistant.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Thanks for sharing this. Will be interesting to see which vet QB is brought in next year, as well as to watch if the running game evolves from here on out.
UOK
Site Admin

So TL;DW summary:
  • Nagy has no idea how to design running plays, like even at a conceptual level
  • The offensive line is being completely misused and/or fucking up a ton
  • Nagy overdesigns a LOT, but on run plays especially
  • Pass-wise, Nagy's good at drawing up these plays
  • Adam Shaheen is shit
  • The Jet Sweep to Patterson should be scrapped forever
  • Players often failed to execute when the playcalls were good, particularly on the offensive line
  • Trubisky needs to step up into the goddamn pocket
  • Trubisky hesitates a lot, and it breaks the entire offense
  • Trubisky has a horrid deep ball
  • Trubisky's mechanics are and always have been poor
  • Trubisky's post-snap processing is non-existent
  • Defensive backs often control Trubisky's eyes, which never move
  • Trubisky hesitates and freezes up when the time for making plays is needed
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I actually saw Lamar Jackson come off his first 2 reads last night on a play. I have never seen 10 do that.

I never thought Jackson would be the type of QB he is. Maybe Nagy should watch film of that and have 10 play similarly. Can't hurt.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Dardango wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:24 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:57 pm That's a good video. I think that it reveals two things. One, Nagy designs plays like he's playing Madden (which several others here have mentioned before). His run plays are too gadgety, and finally started working when he went to a straight I-Formation.

Totally agree on Mitch not seeing the field. Not sure there is a fix for that, but the play design issues are REAL. The question is, would Nagy be willing to give up control an OC with a different vision that might include running the ball more? You're also right that a FA QB is the answer. The question is who that would be and would Nagy craft what he does to the capabilities of that player.
The Bears are dealing with limited draft capital, and not a lot of cap space. I keep saying this, and I think it’s a good option. I just don’t think it will ever happen.

Trade for Mariota. Reunite him with Helfrich. Give the play calling to Helfrich. And see if you can catch some of their old University of Oregon magic.

It’s just never going to happen.
Richie
MVP

This is a really good video. Thank you for the post. It sort of confirms a lot of what everyone is saying. The blame lies on both sides of the Nagy/Trubisky coin.

I have not given up on Nagy yet. But sometimes I think he might have a really good future in college.
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:00 pm
Dardango wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:24 pm
The Bears are dealing with limited draft capital, and not a lot of cap space. I keep saying this, and I think it’s a good option. I just don’t think it will ever happen.

Trade for Mariota. Reunite him with Helfrich. Give the play calling to Helfrich. And see if you can catch some of their old University of Oregon magic.

Mariota is an unrestricted free agent after the year is up. You wouldn't have to trade for him.

Plus, coming fresh off of a pretty disastrous first half of the season which resulted in his benching. It's not like he's going to demand a big contract. You can probably get him somewhat reasonably.

I just personally don't see much upside there. I would rather go with a veteran that's a little more established like Smith or Dalton. Not that I'm big fans of either, but I think that they're clear improvements. I think if our D is good that they'll get us into the party. The party being... the playoffs.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:17 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:00 pm

Mariota is an unrestricted free agent after the year is up. You wouldn't have to trade for him.

Plus, coming fresh off of a pretty disastrous first half of the season which resulted in his benching. It's not like he's going to demand a big contract. You can probably get him somewhat reasonably.

I just personally don't see much upside there. I would rather go with a veteran that's a little more established like Smith or Dalton. Not that I'm big fans of either, but I think that they're clear improvements. I think if our D is good that they'll get us into the party. The party being... the playoffs.
If we have to have Nagy and Helfrich again next year then Smith is a no brainer assuming he's healthy of course.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 am
Richie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:17 am

If we have to have Nagy and Helfrich again next year then Smith is a no brainer assuming he's healthy of course.
Alex Smith is signed through 2022 with the Redskins. His average salary is $25M. We're not going to take a $25M flyer on a 35 year old QB, coming off of a severely broken leg.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:49 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 am

Alex Smith is signed through 2022 with the Redskins. His average salary is $25M. We're not going to take a $25M flyer on a 35 year old QB, coming off of a severely broken leg.
Smith will 100% be released in the offseason.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Smith has 32 million in dead cap that drops to 10 after next season. I'm not sure cutting him is a done deal for another year.