Update: Mike Davis waived

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Via Brad Biggs' 10 Thoughts:
Davis was signed to a $6 million, two-year contract this year and is earning half of it this year. But he hardly ever sees the field on offense. That’s through no fault of his own. When coach Matt Nagy has been asked about Davis over the last month or so, he’s been enthusiastic and quick to point out that there’s nothing Davis has done wrong. While that may be the case — and while I originally didn’t believe the Bears would cast off Davis because I thought there was an actual plan to incorporate him in the running game — I don’t know how the Bears can keep him and pass on the chance to add a mid-round pick.
This would likely happen this week, so keep an eye out.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Another strange signing. He received hoopla when coming in and he as been a ghost.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Lions could use him. It would be SO Bear-ish to cut Davis and then have him run for 100 against them in the same week.

If I was Davis and seeing Cohen get that goal line carry up the gut... I'd be like "please - cut/kill me!" ... like I was stuck in an Alien cocoon with a monster growing in my chest.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

So is the deal that if they cut him, he doesn't count as a Free Agent Added?

(And are there any more ex-Bears for us to fear other teams cutting in this way?)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Good thing we traded Jordan Howard.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:00 pm Good thing we traded Jordan Howard.
You know that is Nagy, though - right? What do you think Pace thinks of that right now? I bet he's plenty unhappy himself at having been influenced like that.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Not sure why people are still bent out of shape with Howard... I think Monty will be an all-around better back in the long run (If Nagy ever decides to use him). Howard had like 10 more yards and one less TD than Monty yesterday and had more snaps. One thing people forget with Howard is Fox ran the hell out of him and to pay a RB top dollar after all the abuse in college and 3 years in the NFL just isn't a good move.

I hope they get rid of Davis though we could really use that 4th round pick. I keep doing these draft sims (like I do every year around this time of the season >.<) and there are some interesting players we could get our hands-on and that's around where Pace gets some gems.
Last edited by Knuckles on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Xee
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:00 pm Good thing we traded Jordan Howard.
I honestly think we'd have the same production if Howard was still here given the line he'd be playing behind and the plays his coach is calling. The Eagles have a great O-line and their coach knows how to run the ball. Don't know how anyone can say the lack of production is Montgomery's fault.
wab
Mod

Davis was signed in case they didn't get a starting caliber back in the draft. They did get a starting caliber back in the draft, so Davis isn't getting on the field much. Whether I agree with it or not, Cohen is getting the carries that Davis would if Montgomery wasn't on the team.

I really thought he'd be moved at the deadline, but maybe they couldn't because of this situation.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:32 pm Not sure why people are still bent out of shape with Howard... I think Monty will be an all-around better back in the long run (If Nagy ever decides to use him). Howard had like 10 more yards and one less TD than Monty yesterday and had more snaps. One thing people forget with Howard is Fox ran the hell out of him and to pay a RB top dollar after all the abuse in college and 3 years in the NFL just isn't a good move.

I hope they get rid of Davis though we could really use that 4th round pick. I keep doing these draft sims (like I do every year around this time of the season >.<) and there are some interesting players we could get our hands-on and that's around where Pace gets some gems.
Going into yesterday's game:

Howard 443 yds rushing
Montgomery 366

Howard averaging 13.2 rushes per game
Montgomery averaging 14 rushes per game

Pretty equal to say the least.
Dardango
Journeyman

Whether you like Howard or not, it made more sense to keep him through this season and then move on from him. Nagy pushed the "trade", if you want to call it that (for a 6th round pick in 2020). Montgomery would have only benefitted from some time behind Howard in possibly his last year in Chicago. Whatever the case, I have absolutely no faith in the Pace-Nagy personnel management team based on the off and on-field decisions.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

@Otis Day Yeah that's more even than I would've thought I don't follow Philly but announcers were talking like Howard was the workhorse there... What's interesting is if you look at Cohen Vs Sanders Cohen has 63 yards on 26 attempts and Sanders 336 on 76.

Bears don't run enough LOL. And Cohen needs to run forward instead of sideways >.<. I say get rid of Davis for the 4th just because they don't seem like they want to run anyway.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'll say what I said in discord. Cut Davis bring up Whyte for his speed factor. Then he can lose 1 yard running up the middle instead of Cohen losing 2 every time
Richie
MVP

There's a lot of decisions that the Bears have made which play into them being 3-5 right now.

Jordan Howard is waaaaayyyyyy down at the bottom of that list. He may not even be on it. I don't think it means a damn thing pertaining to the 2019 Chicago Bears.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:28 am There's a lot of decisions that the Bears have made which play into them being 3-5 right now.

Jordan Howard is waaaaayyyyyy down at the bottom of that list. He may not even be on it. I don't think it means a damn thing pertaining to the 2019 Chicago Bears.
You do make a point. Nagy would have to be committed to a running game in order for Howard to be effective. Since his idea of a running game is Cohen or Patterson up the middle we might never know.

However, a smart front office might recognize that Davis and Howard have a similar cap hit and that since we're drafting a RB anyway, maybe we'd want to stick with the proven commodity?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I can't find anything about a deadline to cut FAs and not have them count.

I did find compensatory stuff that suggested if you could make him not count, the Bears would be due a 4th.

If you can get a R4, there's just no way you can justify keeping him around. 1 carry and 1 catch per game won't be missed.

BR0D1E86
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:12 am I can't find anything about a deadline to cut FAs and not have them count.

I did find compensatory stuff that suggested if you could make him not count, the Bears would be due a 4th.

If you can get a R4, there's just no way you can justify keeping him around. 1 carry and 1 catch per game won't be missed.
I saw a tweet which said they had to be off the roster before week 10 to not count.
IE
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 am
Moriarty wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:12 am I can't find anything about a deadline to cut FAs and not have them count.

I saw a tweet which said they had to be off the roster before week 10 to not count.
Hopefully it means on the team when the game is played. Wouldn't it be highly questionable for Pace to not make this move and give up a 4th rounder for a player who basically doesn't contribute?
BR0D1E86
MVP

IE wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:12 am
BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 am

Hopefully it means on the team when the game is played. Wouldn't it be highly questionable for Pace to not make this move and give up a 4th rounder for a player who basically doesn't contribute?
This article isn't real specific, but it seems to indicate the cutoff is game 10. I see absolutely no reason to keep him around.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... atory-pick
If Pace wants to completely eliminate Davis from the compensatory pick calculation, he'll have to release him before Sunday's game against the Lions. The NFL does not factor into their calculation those free-agent signings who don't last until Week 10 with their new team. If Davis is gone, he's out of the compensatory pick conversation.
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 am
Richie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:28 am There's a lot of decisions that the Bears have made which play into them being 3-5 right now.

You do make a point. Nagy would have to be committed to a running game in order for Howard to be effective. Since his idea of a running game is Cohen or Patterson up the middle we might never know.

However, a smart front office might recognize that Davis and Howard have a similar cap hit and that since we're drafting a RB anyway, maybe we'd want to stick with the proven commodity?
I just think that the front office and Nagy both wanted RB's who didn't handcuff you in the passing game. I think they viewed Davis as a guy who had some success and a skill-set that expanded to all three facets of the position. Running the ball, pass blocking and receiving. I think Nagy felt that when Howard was on the field that the opposition knew he was not a threat to catch the ball. Which limited what he wanted to do.

He wanted all of his backs to possess plus skill-sets in the passing game and honestly... that's what he wanted his offense to be. He was brought here to run HIS offense. Jordan Howard is not that guy. So, I really don't blame anybody for that.

I also think that they signed Davis not knowing if anyone would really be there in the 3rd round at RB that they would like.

And you can talk all you want about what Howard did in his first two seasons here. But where did it get us? 3-13 and 5-11. Two brutally bad offenses. Not to mention, at the end of the day. Montgomery is literally just a good day against a bad Detroit run D away from having roughly identical numbers to Howard through 9 games.

It's just... it's not something that I feel is worth looking back on. I don't think that it plays into where we are. Not in the least.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

It just makes no sense to me that we signed this guy for 6M over 2 years and then never use him.

Or even giving Cohen more touches than him.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

It seems pretty stupid to me that they keep him at this point. They average what like 17 runs a game all year I think a 4th round pick is worth more than that. You'd never get a 4th for Davis straight up. Idiotic move especially now that our playoff chances are gone what's the point? Think of the future because this season's toast.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The most clear way to look at the Howard deal is to consider that we didn't trade Howard and get the R6 pick back, which would likely have meant that we didn't trade up for Montgomery, which leaves us at the bottom of R3, but also with our R5 choice, giving back the Pats R6 pick (Duke Shelley) and sticking with our R4 pick next year.

Would we be better off with an OL guy and a TE with those R3 and R5 picks instead? Hard to know, of course. And in 2020, we'd be swapping the R6 pick we got for Howard and getting our R4 selection back.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Knuckles wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 pm It seems pretty stupid to me that they keep him at this point. They average what like 17 runs a game all year I think a 4th round pick is worth more than that. You'd never get a 4th for Davis straight up. Idiotic move especially now that our playoff chances are gone what's the point? Think of the future because this season's toast.
On the other hand, if Montgomery gets hurt on the first play of the game against Detroit, who would his backup be? Davis is the only one on the roster who can fill that roll. Now maybe they could bring Nall up from the practice squad, but two sets of coaching staffs have deemed him unworthy of that.

Is a quality backup RB worth a 4th round pick? I think so.
G08
Hall of Famer

I heard on the radio yesterday that we would have to cut him by Saturday, and with the Lions being thin at RB we are going to wait until that moment (if we do in fact cut him).

71 offensive snaps and 45 special teams snaps this season. There's no reason to keep him around, especially if we can get a 4th round compensatory pick for him. Bring up Ryan Nall.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mr.Irrelevant wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:04 am
Knuckles wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 pm It seems pretty stupid to me that they keep him at this point. They average what like 17 runs a game all year I think a 4th round pick is worth more than that. You'd never get a 4th for Davis straight up. Idiotic move especially now that our playoff chances are gone what's the point? Think of the future because this season's toast.
On the other hand, if Montgomery gets hurt on the first play of the game against Detroit, who would his backup be? Davis is the only one on the roster who can fill that roll. Now maybe they could bring Nall up from the practice squad, but two sets of coaching staffs have deemed him unworthy of that.

Is a quality backup RB worth a 4th round pick? I think so.
For a serious contender, maybe.
Not for a team that isn't going anywhere this year and is cutting him in the spring, at the latest.

With HBs being so plug and play, you can grab an adequate temp solution anywhere (Whyte, Nall, Benny Cunningham is recovered from injury and a FA again now, same for Doug Martin, etc) and get whatever future replacement you like up to speed quickly in the offseason.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I would really like to see Nall given a shot. I think he may be the lightning in the bottle type of player.
UOK
Site Admin

Based on a mysterious Mike Davis tweet, it appears he has been or is about to be released/waived.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:24 pm Based on a mysterious Mike Davis tweet, it appears he has been or is about to be released/waived.
This one?

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:31 pm
UOK wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:24 pm Based on a mysterious Mike Davis tweet, it appears he has been or is about to be released/waived.
This one?

He's wrong. That's a lot of fun.