Whitehair to C, Shaheen inactive

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

It's about damned time for both things, if you ask me.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Shaheen can remain inactive for the rest of the year. Have not seen anything from this guy. Braunecker and Holtz can finish the year active.
docc
Head Coach

Finally..good.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Thumbs up to both moves.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Better blocking so far. Braunecker gets a TD. Seems like a good call so far.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

That's stings a bit, that in year 2, Daniels still can't mentally play C.

Credit to coaches for knowing he couldn't hack it last year.

I wonder if they'll ever try the move again, or if they give up on it from here.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Shaheen - hey, it's over. Whoever else they want to develop and give the snaps to is a better bet.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I like Braunecker a lot. He has good hands, and runs good routes. He's also a Harvard grad, so there's nothing that you can throw at him, that he's not going to be able to absorb.
IE
Hall of Famer

They should have cut both Shaheen and Burton in the preseason. I know I called for it. That was before Holtz, even. I'd still like to see one of those PS guys get in there as well. 2 TE sets.

I felt bad for Whitehair. Tough place to start snapping again after a while. Poor guy.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Richie
MVP

I had totally forgotten about the shotgun snap issues with Whitehair until I was unpleasantly reminded.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:25 pm I like Braunecker a lot. He has good hands, and runs good routes. He's also a Harvard grad, so there's nothing that you can throw at him, that he's not going to be able to absorb.
Braunecker's another who had a nice day, but hasn't looked good in past opportunities.

I'd hold off on penciling in too much sunshine until he does it a couple more times.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Interestingly everyone on SCR radio - Kruetz, Thayer, Herron - seemed to hate the switch, but I missed hearing the explanations why.

IE
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:00 am I had totally forgotten about the shotgun snap issues with Whitehair until I was unpleasantly reminded.
Yeah me too. Go figure - there may have been a few good reasons for that switch! lol

I'm guessing it is just temporary. I personally think Nagy is just trying to isolate the variables so he can most fairly evaluate. To me that is also why he won't run the I formation more. Why bother? He has no intention of running it in the long run, and to him that is a path in the wrong direction that will just hide problems he needs to fix to go down the path he wants to take.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 pm That's stings a bit, that in year 2, Daniels still can't mentally play C.
It's kind of a stretch to say he can't mentally handle it. He was the best center in college football. People forget that he was 20 years old when he was drafted.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm pretty staunch in that Daniels will get another crack at C, maybe as soon as this season. As wab says, he's young as hell, and the timing may have been too soon. He needs a lot of reps. A lot. Of reps. Hard to justify the growing pains when you're in a championship window, though.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 am I'm pretty staunch in that Daniels will get another crack at C, maybe as soon as this season. As wab says, he's young as hell, and the timing may have been too soon. He needs a lot of reps. A lot. Of reps. Hard to justify the growing pains when you're in a championship window, though.
I think a big part of it is really the trust Mitch has in Whitehair. Bad snaps aside, Mitch knows that Whitehair is going to get people in the right spot and make the right line calls. I don't think he had that faith in Daniels, and I think Daniels was messing some calls up.
wab
Mod

I also didn't realize that Burton left the game with a thigh injury. Can we please start a petition to just shut that dude down for the season?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am
Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 pm That's stings a bit, that in year 2, Daniels still can't mentally play C.
It's kind of a stretch to say he can't mentally handle it. He was the best center in college football. People forget that he was 20 years old when he was drafted.
I think it made it pretty clear I'm talking purely about right now, not forever.
However successful he was in college isn't very relevant - lots of guys were college studs who struggled or failed at the next level.
If his problems aren't mental, what is happening?

• It's clear that Whitehair is worse at snapping.
  • We saw last year that Daniels is clearly physically capable of blocking NFL-caliber interior linemen.
That leaves:
  • Daniels is failing at the mental part of being a center, or
  • Super Offense Genius Matt Nagy and Best Offensive Line Coach in the History of Offensive Lines, Harry Hiestand, have no idea what they're looking at and are just moving pieces at random to see what happens.
Seeing as Whitehair has a history of being bad at snapping, Daniels wasn't placed in the position he's most experienced and best physically suited for right away, and there's been whispers and rumors going on all year about Daniels struggling with calls - I know where my guess is going.

wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:04 pm
wab wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am

I think it made it pretty clear I'm talking purely about right now, not forever.
However successful he was in college isn't very relevant - lots of guys were college studs who struggled or failed at the next level.

• We saw last year that Daniels is clearly physically capable of blocking NFL-caliber interior linemen.
That leaves:
  • Super Offense Genius Matt Nagy and Best Offensive Line Coach in the History of Offensive Lines, Harry Hiestand, have no idea what they're looking at and are just moving pieces at random to see what happens.
Seeing as Whitehair has a history of being bad at snapping, Daniels wasn't placed in the position he's most experienced and best physically suited for right away, and there's been whispers and rumors going on all year about Daniels struggling with calls - I know where my guess is going.
So, steep learning curve = can't mentally handle it?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:04 pm

That leaves:
Can't handle it RIGHT NOW.

How many times can I repeat it and how much clearer can I express that?

You don't make a line switch right in the middle of a season, after spending all last year talking about how important continuity is and that you don't want to make line switches in the middle of a season, unless you think someone is clearly not cutting it and not liable to any time real soon.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm You don't make a line switch right in the middle of a season, after spending all last year talking about how important continuity is and that you don't want to make line switches in the middle of a season, unless you think someone is clearly not cutting it and not liable to any time real soon.

you do when the existing line can't seem to handle things

go back and watch some tape of just the offensive line in the first 8 games ... it was unbelievably bad at times and inept to the point of someone pulling and running right past a rushing defender who then made the defensive stop ... doesn't matter that you got to your assigned guy if you let the play get blown up by the guy you ignored
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thefish7
Journeyman

If it's a mental issue, and not a scheme issue/physical issue... Is it impossible for a RG to do the line calls?
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

I think all of these moves are fine. I remember Daniels having some bad snaps during the Eagles game so Whitehair isn’t the only one struggling with it. Overall I think the offensive line looked better after the switch in some ways but also gave up a lot of sacks.

I’d be okay with shutting down Burton indefinitely due to injuries and Shaheen for ineffectiveness. Let’s see what Braunecker can do when given more of a role here.

Coward. Not terrible? Really want to see what Bars can do at some point this season.
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm You don't make a line switch right in the middle of a season, after spending all last year talking about how important continuity is and that you don't want to make line switches in the middle of a season, unless you think someone is clearly not cutting it and not liable to any time real soon.

That's what he is saying.

Lol... I feel bad for Moriarty in this thread. People keep misquoting his position or misunderstanding it entirely.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:11 am
Boris13c wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:17 pm

That's what he is saying.

Lol... I feel bad for Moriarty in this thread. People keep misquoting his position or misunderstanding it entirely.

fair enough ... apologies if I misunderstood
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm
wab wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 pm

You don't make a line switch right in the middle of a season, after spending all last year talking about how important continuity is and that you don't want to make line switches in the middle of a season, unless you think someone is clearly not cutting it and not liable to any time real soon.
"RIGHT NOW" wasn't even close to what you inferred in your OP.

I wonder if they'll ever try the move again, or if they give up on it from here.
Nothing about that says "hey, maybe he's still learning and might benefit from moving back to guard for a bit".
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I think it's a few reasons. #1 Whitehair is better then Daniel's. Daniels has really struggled with anchoring and more importantly coming off helping blocks. Example in very simple step left protection he may help the left guard but leave his gap in doing so. So many pressures seem to cone from that A or 1 gap its unreal. #2 he lacks hip drive to get a great push. #3 clearly they feel Whitehair is better at line calls.

#4 most important Whitehair can cover for mistakes made by the RG and LG.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:06 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm

"RIGHT NOW" wasn't even close to what you inferred in your OP.

Nothing about that says "hey, maybe he's still learning and might benefit from moving back to guard for a bit".

In my first post on the subject, the entire point of saying "in year 2" "still can't" is to imply that he might be able to in a future time.
If I were claiming that time is unimportant and his inability is permanent, I would have left out the qualifiers and just said "can't".

Misinterpreting that is understandable, but the very first thing I said in my 2nd post to try and clarify was: "I'm talking purely about right now, not forever"...and you followed up by continuing to accuse me of claiming that he would never be able to handle it.

That should have solved the confusion, right there. I think perhaps you got careless in rushing to defend the team from criticism.