High School Sports

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have been getting into high school football this year (I go to the local high school games and other local HS games every year). My alma mater had another down year. A local 2A team has reached the quarterfinals and another 2A school got beat Saturday in a weird game.

MC was kicking off to start the game and the kick, believe it or not, somehow went 6 yards backwards. I was texting one of the coaches afterward and he said he could not even explain it, he had never seen anything like it at all. MC got behind 20-0 within first 23 minutes of the game. They game back some and ended up losing 39-28. Anytime MC did anything good on O, they shot themselves in the foot when the other team got the ball back.

High school buckets starting up in 2 weeks. Kind of excited for that. I coached the current juniors in travel ball when they were in 7th and 8th grades.

High school sports, purest form of sports out there. Most of these kids do it for the love of the sport, knowing after high school they will no longer play competitive sports.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I used to attend a ton of high school sports events when friends had kids playing (I saw Mike Glennon as a high schooler ... and he was good) ... but since all of their kids are grown and our group is a bunch of debauched empty nester parents, don't go to many hs events any more ... without a connection of some type, it just doesn't have the draw for me

when I get nostalgic I'll fire up a highlight tape of my daughter in soccer, from pee wee through college ... I still laugh at those pee wee soccer jerseys that were like long dresses on the munchkins
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

High school teams down here play in stadiums that rival college stadiums. It's not the same vibe as good ol Friday night football. It might as well be a semi-pro game.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Knoxville the 2A team still alive, they have a new "stadium". Not sure if it seats more than 1000. Quite a few peeps bring their own chairs and sit on the area between the home stands and the concessions. Pretty cool, when the team comes marching out prior to the game, quite a few Harley riders have their bikes parked at that end of the field and rev up their bikes for the kids to come running on the field with the noise.

What gets me at the different high schools I have been to, they play the damn music so loud prior to the game and at dead ball situations, it is fucking maddening. Mainly because the music sucks.

Knoxville has just been pounding teams by running the ball. they use some wishbone, wing T, broken bone (single wing) and they just beat the shit of teams. They run 4-5 RBs at you. If they pass it may be twice per game and one of those is the HB pass. It will be a tough game this Saturday. They will play perennial power, Sterling Newman.
wab
Mod

The high school my son goes to plays in a 63 million dollar stadium that seats 15,000.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Local team, Knoxville, gotten taken to the cleaners on Saturday. They played a private school, Sterling Newman, who is always a power. It was 28-0. Knoxville had a great year finishing 11-1. No one thought they would be half this good.