Wk 10 // CHICAGO BEARS vs. DETROIT LIONS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Beer tastes better..nice thick Pork Chops..will taste extra good tonight..

.. and grandson just used his potty for the first time !!

A docc good day !
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:00 pm If this was Rodgers and the Pack, EASY comeback win for 12. No question Bears lose. Like clockwork.
And if it was the 2007 Patroits it would’ve been even worse.

But it wasn’t. I know I’ve been Mr. Apocalypse lately and I still don’t think I’m wrong, but join us at Club Dub for the day!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:53 pm Beer tastes better..nice thick Pork Chops..will taste extra good tonight..

A docc good day !
Today is a great day for you and the family, you should hula hoop for joy.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:53 pm Beer tastes better..nice thick Pork Chops..will taste extra good tonight..

A docc good day !
Congrats with your grandson. That’s what really matters.

I’m taking the next several hours off from wanting Nagy gone and Mitch replaced to just enjoy this.

This win feels a lot better than it realistically should.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Wow. Steelers just beat the Rams. Is it possible that the Rams have been figured out? Or that Goff just isn't that good?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

OK. So someone explain this to me. Where has this kid been? Don't tell me he suddenly developed confidence, or that he got lucky. For about 20 minutes in this game, Trubisky was the QB we all hoped he was. Is this part of the development process? Is this waxing and waning of talent just part of the frustration of developing a QB?

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/trub ... s-3-td-day
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:20 pm OK. So someone explain this to me. Where has this kid been? Don't tell me he suddenly developed confidence, or that he got lucky. For about 20 minutes in this game, Trubisky was the QB we all hoped he was. Is this part of the development process? Is this waxing and waning of talent just part of the frustration of developing a QB?

He trusted the OL with the Whitehair switch imo. He looked way more comfortable.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:44 pm Ohh Nagy, how I hate your play calling!!
I'm assuming you heard the announcer say... “Nagy can probably put the card down from his mouth, I mean it's not like he's hiding anything from anyone”!

When the announcers are now making fun of you...
GSH
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:20 pm OK. So someone explain this to me. Where has this kid been? Don't tell me he suddenly developed confidence, or that he got lucky. For about 20 minutes in this game, Trubisky was the QB we all hoped he was. Is this part of the development process? Is this waxing and waning of talent just part of the frustration of developing a QB?

He trusted the OL with the Whitehair switch imo. He looked way more comfortable.
im not sure he was that comfortable with some of those horrible snaps.
IE
Hall of Famer

2 minute drill ... we've all been talking about that. No surprise. But it is still a problem when you're driving urgently to score at the end of the first half to double your yards and put your first points on the board. Not sustainable.

The rest looked a lot like last year. Turnovers and short fields got 10 to the probowl. Again... we've learned this year that is not sustainable. Mitch looked a bit better than he has most of the year... but low bar. We're so desperate for him to look even average that we're blind. The nobody backup on the other side looked better.

I'm not so sure Stafford would have been too much better. This kid today kept the Lions alive with his feet - something Stafford would not do.

MVP = 44 I'm sorry I don't get the complaints about the D. They gave up 13 points and really one long play. 44 is a spark. He's really gotta be in there. I wonder if 58 can play outside. If not, I think 44 has earned more time on the field. A LOT more.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I've given up defending Mitch because unlike last year the numbers and performance just haven't been there, but nor will I join the screeching masses that are out for blood and want him benched/cut.

But what I do wonder is how can people zero in on just him and ignore the shitshow around him? (not really most people on this board but the general masses). This team has to dwell on the running game all week to actually have one on Sunday.There is 1 reliable receiver ever since Burton fell off a cliff, Miller got his hands replaced with hooks, Gabriel is about 50/50 to drop it, and Cohen has the catch radius of my 9 year old niece. And they're asking this qb to make perfect throws with an Oline that turned into a bunch of Frank Omiyales and J'marcus Webbs trying to block for him. Montgomery is actually pretty good on plays where they block for him and he only has to shed 2 tackles instead of 8.
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:58 pm Wow. Steelers just beat the Rams. Is it possible that the Rams have been figured out? Or that Goff just isn't that good?
You're quite a few weeks behind. Many have been saying this since a little after our game last season.

Goff is pretty rough. Teams have figured out that he is rather horrific under duress and they've yet to figure out an answer.
Richie
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 pm But what I do wonder is how can people zero in on just him and ignore the shitshow around him? (not really most people on this board but the general masses).
I don't think people do. I think most who actual follow closely have problems with two main aspects. Mitch AND Nagy. It's just a question of what ratio they put the blame at.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

KOP_Snake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 pm I've given up defending Mitch because unlike last year the numbers and performance just haven't been there, but nor will I join the screeching masses that are out for blood and want him benched/cut.

But what I do wonder is how can people zero in on just him and ignore the shitshow around him? (not really most people on this board but the general masses). This team has to dwell on the running game all week to actually have one on Sunday.There is 1 reliable receiver ever since Burton fell off a cliff, Miller got his hands replaced with hooks, Gabriel is about 50/50 to drop it, and Cohen has the catch radius of my 9 year old niece. And they're asking this qb to make perfect throws with an Oline that turned into a bunch of Frank Omiyales and J'marcus Webbs trying to block for him. Montgomery is actually pretty good on plays where they block for him and he only has to shed 2 tackles instead of 8.
I am with you on this man. We are tied in the league for most dropped passes. How does that change Bisky's numbers and the offensive TOP, scoring, and yardage when everyone drops balls? The Oline was been a shit show all year long, and I doubt any QB besides young Mike Vic could thrive behind it.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Glad to see a win overall. The D continues to be tough, but stays on the field too long all season. I HATED seeing Danny Trev getting his arm hurt like that. Kwiatkowski has the 2nd nice showing coming in to replace him. I hope he can continue to play well for weeks to come. I could not believe Nagy calling a pass on 3-1 with Monty just starting to get going. Gotta face it: Pace has built a great team except for the the QB and HC he picked guys with potential, but little actual experience, and we are waiting for both of them to "grow up" so we can win consistently.
IE
Hall of Famer

KOP_Snake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 pm I've given up defending Mitch because unlike last year the numbers and performance just haven't been there, but nor will I join the screeching masses that are out for blood and want him benched/cut.

I think SO many Bear fans are SO tired of being defensive and embarrassed about Bear Quarterbacks that it is hard to focus elsewhere while that position is clearly bad. So it is history AND the fact that the QB has an outsized impact on the team if he's playing especially poorly, showing so few signs of the kind of improvement people want to see, or even being a decent game manager. Getting to within a minute of another first half of zero offense, and I was wondering if Nagy was considering pulling the trigger on Daniel for the second half. Braunecker may have saved Trubisky. Good throw but far better catch.

The weird thing was hearing Cohen say that the "early TD gave them a spark". Um... did you not know you had already squandered an entire half against one of the worst defenses in the NFL?

The other guys are all struggling as well, and that is clear (although thank god Nagy finally gave in to the Shaheen obviousness). I'm hoping they started solving at least part of the line's current problems by moving Whitehair back to the leader of the line at least temporarily. But in reality that could take a good month to gel.

Nagy really drives me crazy. He knows that I formation has been really helping this year... and just refuses to run it. OK fine Montgomery's longest run was from shotgun handoff. But to ignore something that has been regularly working and letting the Kwiatkowski of the offense (Holtz) go unused... is really bad. And considering the change on the Oline you'd think the extra blocker would be helpful... I don't think I'll ever regain a real "like" for Nagy if he continues to prove he really just is not interested in running the ball effectively. I'll go as far to say that he will fail as a coach if he doesn't put the games in the hands of a better more balanced play caller.

I have no answer for why Nagy prefers smurfs, other than he dreams of the team being "explosive". But how about just moving the ball regularly? There is absolutely nothing wrong with bigger catch radius guys, vs speed guys. Speed is less effective with an inaccurate QB. Having a Colsten-like WR like Wims would seem to help Trubisky a lot more than trying to hit 18 or 29 in coverage. On Miller - I've been guessing that nothing would make him look better than to have a better QB. Put him on a team with a good QB, and the guy would be featured.

Good win regardless. Certainly feels better than a loss. I hope this one doesn't give people false confidence, though. This is a 6-10 team with no good excuses.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 pmMVP = 44 I'm sorry I don't get the complaints about the D. They gave up 13 points and really one long play. 44 is a spark. He's really gotta be in there. I wonder if 58 can play outside. If not, I think 44 has earned more time on the field. A LOT more.
Be careful what you wish for. The Lions designed their game plan for playing Travathan, who is noticeably faster than Kwiat. What you're going to see in the games to come with DT out is more designed short throws RBs to make NK run with guys who are faster than he is. Watch for plays where 44 is chasing the ball.

I like 44. He's a baller... A classically rock solid hole filling MLB. But he has a limitation that will get exploited.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IE
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:41 am
IE wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 pmMVP = 44 I'm sorry I don't get the complaints about the D. They gave up 13 points and really one long play. 44 is a spark. He's really gotta be in there. I wonder if 58 can play outside. If not, I think 44 has earned more time on the field. A LOT more.
Be careful what you wish for. The Lions designed their game plan for playing Travathan, who is noticeably faster than Kwiat. What you're going to see in the games to come with DT out is more designed short throws RBs to make NK run with guys who are faster than he is. Watch for plays where 44 is chasing the ball.

I like 44. He's a baller... A classically rock solid hole filling MLB. But he has a limitation that will get exploited.
Doesn't every team try to isolate LBs on a faster guy? All LBs not named Urlacher are a liability in coverage if the other team gets a mismatch. Last game the Eggles did that with Danny. The Bear linebackers have not been getting it done when the team needed a stop.

44 got an INT yesterday and I'm going to guess he'll get more while he's being tested like you describe. And he's a monster in the backfield.

Instead of talking about what 44 doesn't have, let's talk about what he does have. He's fierce and smart- and is always around the ball. For a D that has been gashed by RBs and TEs drifting in linebacker land, 44 seems like a good partial solution.
wab
Mod

KOP_Snake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 pm how can people zero in on just him and ignore the shitshow around him? (not really most people on this board but the general masses). This team has to dwell on the running game all week to actually have one on Sunday.There is 1 reliable receiver ever since Burton fell off a cliff, Miller got his hands replaced with hooks, Gabriel is about 50/50 to drop it, and Cohen has the catch radius of my 9 year old niece. And they're asking this qb to make perfect throws with an Oline that turned into a bunch of Frank Omiyales and J'marcus Webbs trying to block for him. Montgomery is actually pretty good on plays where they block for him and he only has to shed 2 tackles instead of 8.
wab
Mod

Happy the Bears won, but I understand they beat a pretty bad Lions team without it's starting QB.

I think it's pretty evident that a lot of the issues with Mitch are trust in his OL. When Mitch trusts his line, he plays exceedingly well. When he doesn't, his eyes start to drift and his mechanics go to hell.
Even with the bad snaps, it seems like Mitch does trust Whitehair more because he knows at the very least the line calls are going to be right. The OL is bad on the edges though. Mitch shouldn't have to navigate and move in the pocket as much as he does.

I did get frustrated with Nagy yesterday because as soon as the Bears started playing well and moving the ball, he went into super fun mode and it stalled their progress. I just want him to do what works for one full freaking game. Then maybe for a few more.

Aside from an occasional play from RRH and Nick Williams, the DL has zero interior push, and that's impacting the pass rush.

I've been a pretty big Kwit fan for a while, and I agree with IE. The team seems to have a little more attitude with him in there. I love DT and I hate he went out like that...but his time here may be nearing the end.

Overall, happy with the win. Hopefully the Bears can get back to .500 next week and then stack a few wins.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

With regard to playing with pace, interesting stat on ESPN this a.m.

Avg time per play for Bears - 35 seconds

Avg time per play on each scoring drive = 27 seconds
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 am

I think it's pretty evident that a lot of the issues with Mitch are trust in his OL. When Mitch trusts his line, he plays exceedingly well. When he doesn't, his eyes start to drift and his mechanics go to hell.

I did get frustrated with Nagy yesterday because as soon as the Bears started playing well and moving the ball, he went into super fun mode and it stalled their progress. I just want him to do what works for one full freaking game. Then maybe for a few more.

Both of these points are spot on.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We won. I’m happy. Hopefully this is something that can be built on even though the season is over.

A lot of this is because we played the Lions and without Stafford so its hard to have meaningful observations. Let’s just hope we play the Rams and kick their ass.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:41 am

It is a weakness of his, but it's not that hard to suddenly change to call a few plays to get him isolated in coverage. Every offense has that built in as an option. He might have improved in his coverage slightly? Time will tell I guess.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I somehow missed the news about Stafford's injury ... him being out certainly helped the Bears defense ... don't know much about their backup QB but I do know he seemed to be making some nice quick throws on plays similar to those our guy struggled with

nice to see Mitch gather himself and come up with production ... he seemed a lot more sure of himself from about midway in the 2nd quarter to the end ... first quarter sucked dog balls

happy for the win but not sure if it showed signs of things to come or was a one off anomaly
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Yesterday..like all games..is just an isolated event. Yes it was fun to see..but as a portent of future success or failure..no. All teams are what they are at the end of the game..
Next week starts again..no agita..just another test to pass..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am
Mikefive wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:41 am Be careful what you wish for. The Lions designed their game plan for playing Travathan, who is noticeably faster than Kwiat. What you're going to see in the games to come with DT out is more designed short throws RBs to make NK run with guys who are faster than he is. Watch for plays where 44 is chasing the ball.

Doesn't every team try to isolate LBs on a faster guy? All LBs not named Urlacher are a liability in coverage if the other team gets a mismatch. Last game the Eggles did that with Danny. The Bear linebackers have not been getting it done when the team needed a stop.

44 got an INT yesterday and I'm going to guess he'll get more while he's being tested like you describe. And he's a monster in the backfield.

Instead of talking about what 44 doesn't have, let's talk about what he does have. He's fierce and smart- and is always around the ball. For a D that has been gashed by RBs and TEs drifting in linebacker land, 44 seems like a good partial solution.
Referring to what you said in yellow, note what I highlighted in orange.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Middleguard
MVP

We had another correct prediction this week, the 2nd this year, and it is WagonForce's 2nd in 2 years. Your scores:
0 WagonForce
18 mmmc_35
26 AZ_Bearfan
32 Mr.Irrelevant
42 wab / southdakbearfan
74 Richie
96 Middleguard
98 UOK
152 IE
186 l8knight / G08
194 The Marshall Plan
222 Mikefive / GSH
294 Ormazd
312 Knuckles
362 Otis Day
686 Bears Whiskey Nut
746 Boris13c
942 bearsfaninaz
Duplicate prediction:
96 crueltyabc
Nine games down and 7 to go. That means that to qualify for my contest, those that have made only 2 predictions so far can't miss another game. They are:
Bearfanuk, l8knight, and Magpie1985
Those with only 3 predictions can only miss 1 more game:
britbear, Knuckles, tjs, and Umbali
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Thank you again for all your work on this MG. :-)