UOK
Site Admin

title
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Go get 'em Jesper.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

So we've got a TE from Harvard and now a TE from Princeton. At least they should know their assignments. I can't wait to see what Horsted can do. Looking at his draft profile, man this kid is a hidden gem for the U position. A tiny bit slower than Trey, but a little bit bigger as well. He runs really good routes (converted WR's should run good routes) and has an enormous catch radius. Getting this guy on the field and fixing the shit-show o-line would make this offense explode.
UOK
Site Admin

Meanwhile Adam Shaheen's "foot hurts," so he'll be healthy scratched for the rest of the year. What a bust that guy's been.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I think Nagy is finally done with Shaheen. The Nagy/Pace honeymoon is over. The season is over. He really should bring up guys like Horsted, Bars and Raymond to see what they've got and get them some experience. Bray can stay on the practice squad, he sucks. Fix the TE position and get the o-line unfucked and I have a feeling #10 will be fine.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I hope he blows the doors off. I have serious doubts, however.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Shaheen has to be done. I always wondered if Nagy really liked him when he became our head coach. Let him have some say in bringing in our next Y.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:28 pm Shaheen has to be done.
I'm baffled by them keeping a roster spot for him at this point. If you have no desire to use him anymore, what are you doing?

Do they really feel like they want to have him back in camp for 2020 and give it another go?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Good interview. Have high hopes for him to see what he and Braunecker can do.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

ramentaschen wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 pm Good interview. Have high hopes for him to see what he and Braunecker can do.
We've already seen years of Braunecker. He's a TE#3 and STs player. And he made the team over JH.

Gotta hand it to you. You're quite the optimist, particularly in the context of how this season has gone. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Horsted could still be an amazing TE when all is said and done. He switched from WR 6 months ago and has probably been working on picking up a new position in a new offense. It will take some time.

I'm assuming going from playing WR at Princeton to playing TE in the NFL is a huge adjustment.
G08
Hall of Famer

Dude's 6036 and 240 lbs compared to Burton's 6021 and roughly 240 lbs. So the kid's actually a little bigger which is a nice surprise for me. Hope he does well!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He and Dax Raymond have similar skillsets. Surprised Dax didn't get called up. Hopefully Jesper here does well.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Not to cheer for anyone's concussion, but it will be nice for Nagy to be forced to use him this week and see where he's at.

IE
Hall of Famer

From what I've seen, Jesper catches everything he should and most of what he shouldn't. The guy has amazing hands. Last week I only saw him get one look and it was on a screen pass? Nagy is really trying hard to make me hate him.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

SO IT BEGINS
IE
Hall of Famer

When I see Wims and Horsted out there making tough catches, I really really really have to try hard to not seriously dislike Nagy. He was quoted as saying he's been seeing Jesper make unbelievable catches all season in practice. So WTF is wrong with Nagy? Why would he have Cohen (or Gabriel) doing anything other than stretching the field?

To me, the success of Horsted, Wims, or even Monty running the ball so well when they commit to running... that's all painting a picture of a coach who isn't cutting it. And that is compounded by the maddening play calling and apparently lack of accountability on the team (e.g. Cohen and Gabriel continuing to keep these other guys on the bench, after really questionable peformances).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:58 pm When I see Wims and Horsted out there making tough catches, I really really really have to try hard to not seriously dislike Nagy. He was quoted as saying he's been seeing Jesper make unbelievable catches all season in practice. So WTF is wrong with Nagy? Why would he have Cohen (or Gabriel) doing anything other than stretching the field?

To me, the success of Horsted, Wims, or even Monty running the ball so well when they commit to running... that's all painting a picture of a coach who isn't cutting it. And that is compounded by the maddening play calling and apparently lack of accountability on the team (e.g. Cohen and Gabriel continuing to keep these other guys on the bench, after really questionable peformances).
Agreed.

I was never as high on Nagy as the crowd (never bought into that "he won 12 games, so nothing he does can ever be questioned" thing that was going on), but I certainly was on the positive side after 2018.
This year I've soured hard and every week it somehow gets worse.

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:58 pm When I see Wims and Horsted out there making tough catches, I really really really have to try hard to not seriously dislike Nagy. He was quoted as saying he's been seeing Jesper make unbelievable catches all season in practice. So WTF is wrong with Nagy? Why would he have Cohen (or Gabriel) doing anything other than stretching the field?

To me it's keep playing Burton/Shaheen who were obviously not performing and injured. That's 2 less reliable targets for Mitch when on the field. Braunacker replaces Shaheen just fine, and I feel like Horsted can play Burton's role. Miller takes Gabriel's spot giving Wims and Ridley more opportunities. If they can continue against Dallas I'll feel better about them.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i dont think people really appreciate how hard the TE position is to play, and to get down, especially for a converted wide receiver. for an offense not to be totally predictable, the threat of a TE being able to stay in and block and atleast slow down a pass rushing DE has to be there.

his catching ability was probably never in doubt, but there's a huge reason he's not a pure WR in the NFL, and that means it's going to take time for him to come along just like any other UDFA in the league.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Prove me wrong, Jesper! :-)

VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

This has turned out to be a good move. Horsted has good hands and shows toughness fighting for YAC.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Holtz looking solid as well
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Really any flashes by a TE is cause for celebration, so I'm excited to see Horsted playing well enough that we might not need to draft a TE next year.
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:21 am Holtz looking solid as well
Holtz looked "solid" because, a) we've targetted him 3x all year, and b) that TE screen was the perfect call against a defense that got sucked in by the play fake. He's what Sowell was supposed to be. A strong blocker for a TE and a guy who can catch a ball on occasion because he's so insignificant in the pass game that teams don't pay much attention to him. And that's OK. There's a place for a guy like that.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:11 pm Really any flashes by a TE is cause for celebration, so I'm excited to see Horsted playing well enough that we might not need to draft a TE next year.
I'm not sure he eliminates the need to bring in another quality TE prospect. But I'm encouraged by what I see from Horsted. He's still raw at transitioning from WR to TE. But the guy certainly looks like he can play in the passing game. He's exceeded my expectations so far. :thumbsup:

ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

While I think it’s good thing that Nagy spread the ball to 8 different receivers against the Cowboys, I’d like to see more of what Horsted can do going forward.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Horsted certainly seems focused and intent on doing the most with his opportunity , which is all we could ask for

like what I've seen so far and wish him the best at keeping it going
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Horsted looked good Thursday, and honestly so did Holtz. When J.P. gets a head of steam going, that dude is a load to bring down.